Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Jan 23, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #274 of 1,104

I was too but couldn't wait any longer. I read a lot of durability issues with the Yamahas so I figured that was good enough reason to just go with these.

the Yamaha's are built like a tank, so I don't know where you heard anything about durability issues. I'd be more worried about the IM70, that a LF or HF driver will go out on them, like they did on the M200. Still...at the price at accessory jack, it's hard for me to look away. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #275 of 1,104
  the Yamaha's are built like a tank, so I don't know where you heard anything about durability issues. I'd be more worried about the IM70, that a LF or HF driver will go out on them, like they did on the M200. Still...at the price at accessory jack, it's hard for me to look away. 

I recall reading on EPH thread some people worried about the cable being flimsy? But I didn't read anything happening to it. But I do think I read several times that one side stopped working, while many others said theirs was still working fine after a year and 1/2 or 2, so I guess I wouldn't say I saw a real trend.... but I haven't read anything like that about these, though they've been out for less time so I guess their durability over a longer period is still up in the air.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #276 of 1,104
You should be alright. I look forward to hearing your impressions. I'm really leaning towards getting a pair myself. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #277 of 1,104
Alright, I'm in...

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #278 of 1,104
Got mine today from CDJapan.

Really like the look and feel in person. The cable is pretty good, very soft, memory wire works well, and only a little microphonics in the upper cable. The sound stage is a nice improvement over my Atrio MG7, and I was very impressed with the bass quality. It really holds up against the Atrio's sub bass quality wise. There's a slight mid bass boost, pretty neutral mids, smooth relaxed treble.

This is with zero burn in and the stock tips. I'm getting a good seal and fit with them, so I haven't tried any other tips yet.

At around $100, these are a real gem imo. Very happy with the purchase.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #280 of 1,104
  Got mine today from CDJapan.

Really like the look and feel in person. The cable is pretty good, very soft, memory wire works well, and only a little microphonics in the upper cable. The sound stage is a nice improvement over my Atrio MG7, and I was very impressed with the bass quality. It really holds up against the Atrio's sub bass quality wise. There's a slight mid bass boost, pretty neutral mids, smooth relaxed treble.

This is with zero burn in and the stock tips. I'm getting a good seal and fit with them, so I haven't tried any other tips yet.

At around $100, these are a real gem imo. Very happy with the purchase.

I strongly recommend you to change the tips to soft, thin and wide opening ones. With thin and soft tips, the clarity improves and the bass gets clearer. I didn't like the stock tips on my IM50s as they veil the mids and bass too much so I preferred the Sony Mh650c tips on my IM50s.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #282 of 1,104
  I strongly recommend you to change the tips to soft, thin and wide opening ones. With thin and soft tips, the clarity improves and the bass gets clearer. I didn't like the stock tips on my IM50s as they veil the mids and bass too much so I preferred the Sony Mh650c tips on my IM50s.
wink.gif

+1. The stock tips that came with my IM70's aren't very good. I've been using some old V-Moda wide bore tips and they've been working great. Auvio tips work well too.  

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #284 of 1,104
  Any recommendations for tips that can be bought in-store or online? I don't have other IEMs to try switching tips with.

Sony silicone tips are also very good. You can buy online from Amazon or you can buy a new Sony Mh650c for its tips.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1390596705&sr=8-16&keywords=sony+silicone+tips

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Sony-MH650C-Headset-Handsfree-Earphone-Microphone-Answer-for-Xperia-/370876450453?pt=Bluetooth_Wireless_Products&hash=item5659f58695

Users who are viewing this thread

Back