Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Jan 13, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #196 of 1,104
yeah, those are technical terms but reality is that these days that means almost nothing, technology progresses so fast that those absolute terms that mean something yesterday, they mean very little today.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #197 of 1,104
I'm trying to decide what I should get - the im02 (I've always wanted to hear how the BA iems sound) or the im70. as I'm coming from Sony XB90EX, which, basically is a really good subwoofer that can somehow also produce good mids and ok highs, I'm kinda afraid of BA-s, maybe they'll sound too thin to me or too bass light. on the other hand im70 sound like a good overall performer,  but this itch for BA is still killing me :D

also, there is my primary music source to consider - the iBasso DX50. it may play well with one of them and not so much with the other.... decisions...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #198 of 1,104
  yeah. can't compare since one is a dual dynamic (IM70) and one is a dual BA (IM02). Two completely different technologies. The BA is naturally going to be less bassy, with less bass weight, regardless of how well they are tuned. The dynamic will have less detail retrieval and have less clarity in the treble. 

By nature a dynamic isn't going to have less detail and treble clarity, matter of fact dynamic drivers tend to have higher treble bandwidth per driver, even the ER4S can't match a treble extension of a budget Sony MH1. 

BAs can have plenty of bass, but it is true that due to their smaller mass, the heft won't be the same, BAs are micro drivers that just won't handle bass the same a much bigger dynamic can, mass plays a role

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #199 of 1,104
I'm trying to decide what I should get - the im02 (I've always wanted to hear how the BA iems sound) or the im70. as I'm coming from Sony XB90EX, which, basically is a really good subwoofer that can somehow also produce good mids and ok highs, I'm kinda afraid of BA-s, maybe they'll sound too thin to me or too bass light. on the other hand im70 sound like a good overall performer,  but this itch for BA is still killing me :D

also, there is my primary music source to consider - the iBasso DX50. it may play well with one of them and not so much with the other.... decisions...:rolleyes:

if i had to choose one, i would definitely go with im02. but you know it all depends on ears, source and music you listen to :)

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #200 of 1,104
  By nature a dynamic isn't going to have less detail and treble clarity, matter of fact dynamic drivers tend to have higher treble bandwidth per driver, even the ER4S can't match a treble extension of a budget Sony MH1. 

BAs can have plenty of bass, but it is true that due to their smaller mass, the heft won't be the same, BAs are micro drivers that just won't handle bass the same a much bigger dynamic can, mass plays a role

i would tend to agree with you on all counts, with the exception that the BA's I encountered, from the FA dba02, UE 700, AT CK10, and Sony XBA 30, and UE TF10 all had treble that was more sparkly, better extended, with longer decay than any dynamic driver I've ever owned or heard. Maybe this is true of the dynamic, but I didn't word it technically correct? 

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #201 of 1,104

also, there is my primary music source to consider - the iBasso DX50. it may play well with one of them and not so much with the other.... decisions...
rolleyes.gif

get yourself the Piston 2.0 for $20.00, and you'll have no need for the IM70. I just came off the KEF M200, and for having a dual dynamic driver with all the fancy KEF technology, the Piston, while coupled with an E11 amp and a iPod Touch 4, stand side by side sonically with the M200, and are wow'ing me with their technical proficiency for a small dynamic driver. How can it sound like I got cans on for $20.00? Save your money and buy the IM02, to get that BA flavor, and the Piston for your dynamic swag. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #202 of 1,104

btw welcome back Inks!!! Good to see you posting again. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #203 of 1,104
another observation is that im50 and 70 are very silent in comparison with im02 which is kind of deal beaker for me, i was planing on using headphones in the office and collages are already annoyed by sounds 02 leaks.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #204 of 1,104
another observation is that im50 and 70 are very silent in comparison with im02 which is kind of deal beaker for me, i was planing on using headphones in the office and collages are already annoyed by sounds 02 leaks.

Hmm that is an interesting observation, as both bear a very similar physical (exterior) design, I am quite curious as to why the BA version would leak more sound (should be the other way around lol). Are you getting a good seal with the IM02?

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #205 of 1,104
yeah, seal is good, it is more about the shell, seems like it is much more transparent so to speak...

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #206 of 1,104

also, there is my primary music source to consider - the iBasso DX50. it may play well with one of them and not so much with the other.... decisions...:rolleyes:

get yourself the Piston 2.0 for $20.00, and you'll have no need for the IM70. I just came off the KEF M200, and for having a dual dynamic driver with all the fancy KEF technology, the Piston, while coupled with an E11 amp and a iPod Touch 4, stand side by side sonically with the M200, and are wow'ing me with their technical proficiency for a small dynamic driver. How can it sound like I got cans on for $20.00? Save your money and buy the IM02, to get that BA flavor, and the Piston for your dynamic swag. 

Now, now. I'm sure the Piston 2.0 sounds good, but I don't know if they'll reach the level of the IM70 or KEF M200. The hype train is strong with the Pistons. Still more interested in the IEP.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #207 of 1,104
Now, now. I'm sure the Piston 2.0 sounds good, but I don't know if they'll reach the level of the IM70 or KEF M200. The hype train is strong with the Pistons. Still more interested in the IEP.

The Piston sonically is very close to the KEF M200. The KEF M200 has more lush mids, and a thicker note presentation, but in terms of bass, detail retrieval, and soundstage. the Piston is right there, and the Piston has way better highs. The Treble on the M200 is notoriously subdued, much like the TDK BA-200, while the Piston has highs with natural decay and timbre, while present without dominating  the rest of the frequencies. The IEP on the other hand, has that dual TWFK driver, along with the LF dynamic, so it's got a bit more spatial ability, clarity, transparency, and balance than the dynamic driver Piston. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #208 of 1,104
Hold on a sec there, when did the IEP suddenly get a TWFK? 
wink.gif

On another note, has anyone ventured a front filter removal on the IM series? I know some AT's have front mesh or foam that can be removed and put back without any harm. Not sure about the dynamic IM's though.

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #209 of 1,104
Hold on a sec there, when did the IEP suddenly get a TWFK? :wink:  

On another note, has anyone ventured a front filter removal on the IM series? I know some AT's have front mesh or foam that can be removed and put back without any harm. Not sure about the dynamic IM's though.

Oh shoot. Duh. Single BA. I was thinking Siren. I don't know why I types TWFK. That's a dual BA, like the DUNU 1000. Forgive me slippage.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #210 of 1,104
  i would tend to agree with you on all counts, with the exception that the BA's I encountered, from the FA dba02, UE 700, AT CK10, and Sony XBA 30, and UE TF10 all had treble that was more sparkly, better extended, with longer decay than any dynamic driver I've ever owned or heard. Maybe this is true of the dynamic, but I didn't word it technically correct? 

must be the dynamics that you tried, MH1 and Quadbeat 2 which are budget dynamics have just as much sparkle and better treble extension than some of those BAs mentioned. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back