Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Jan 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #181 of 1,104
Was comparing these two the other day, The MA750 is great, and has a nice full sound, but I think the IM70 has better transparency and a bass that's not "blurry bloated" as in the MA750 (just a tad). I agree that the IM70s are more forward. Probably better cable and and shell construction with the RHA, but the sound is better to me with the AT. Either one is a good earphone to have in that price range. Oh, the RHA  has the more warmer sound. 

Thanks. Looks like the IM70 just edges it then. I'm guessing both are better (especially bass quantity and quality) than the CKN70?

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #182 of 1,104
Was comparing these two the other day, The MA750 is great, and has a nice full sound, but I think the IM70 has better transparency and a bass that's not "blurry bloated" as in the MA750 (just a tad). I agree that the IM70s are more forward. Probably better cable and and shell construction with the RHA, but the sound is better to me with the AT. Either one is a good earphone to have in that price range. Oh, the RHA  has the more warmer sound. 

Thanks. Looks like the IM70 just edges it then. Are both easy to drive?

IM70 is extremely easy to drive. It sounds great out of my Nexus 5 which seems to have lower line output than most DAPs/Phones.

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #184 of 1,104
i'm seriously thinking of adding the IM70 to my collection. I've put it off since reacquiring my M200, but since I just sold my M200, this might be a very complimentary piece to my incoming B3?

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #186 of 1,104
Well my collection has been shrinking, while at the same time growing. I just sold my KEF's, and selling my VSonics, Sennheisers, and Samsungs. Adding the DUNU, B3, and NuForce 770X. lol

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #188 of 1,104
  Seems like you're adding more overall quality to your collection, which is a good thing.

I wouldn't say that, he still didn't add the h-3s, doppios, or the im-02s to his inventory. 
atsmile.gif
 (jk)

Also, I have a question about the im70's depth of the soundstage. Is it at least somewhat 3dish in its presentation? I might get the im70s as the bass and mids have been favoured upon some headfiers, and was curious to know.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #190 of 1,104
just received im-02, im-70 and im-50. right out of the box, im70 sounds the best. bass is really big, crispy, everything is very detailed... im-50 is very similar to im-70 but without clarity. i am sure this means nothing because all of the phones need to set for at least a days worth of listening...

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #191 of 1,104
just received im-02, im-70 and im-50. right out of the box, im70 sounds the best. bass is really big, crispy, everything is very detailed... im-50 is very similar to im-70 but without clarity. i am sure this means nothing because all of the phones need to set for at least a days worth of listening...

Can't wait for impressions. 

Congrats on receiving the im-02, im-70, and im-50. Enjoy those great iems! 
beerchug.gif

where does the im-02 fit in this?

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #192 of 1,104
im-02 are sounding incredible after couple of hours. incredible. exactly was i was looking for, detailed, airy, textured, yet engaging and bassy enough for dance music.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #193 of 1,104

congrats on the three of them. where did you get them from? would you say tha now the im02 is better compared to im70?

p.s. judging by your forum name which is basically a Georgian surname, should I suppose you are the only other Georgian head-fi member here?
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #194 of 1,104
Thanks

im70 does sound a bit more lively, over all it feels less analytical than im02. cant really compare two, two different sounding phones but cant really say that im02 is class higher than im70, not because im02 does not sound great, it is because im70 is sounding brilliant. i would say they will be complimenting each other very well indeed..

I might as well be the only Georgian in here :)

edit: forgot to mentioned that i got it at cdjapan

edit: and because of analytical nature of im02 (just like my beloved ck10) production/recording and mastering is very important. one record can sound magnifique and next one like a it was recorded in a bathroom with iphone(coule be true actually)

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #195 of 1,104
yeah. can't compare since one is a dual dynamic (IM70) and one is a dual BA (IM02). Two completely different technologies. The BA is naturally going to be less bassy, with less bass weight, regardless of how well they are tuned. The dynamic will have less detail retrieval and have less clarity in the treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back