Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #91 of 250
I really like these cans. Took me a while to get used to the floating arms design, but now I barely notice they're even on my head! Crazy easy to drive. I use them with great success with my Nintendo 3DS XL, which notoriously outputs very low. Haven't listened to a lot of music on them, but the soundstage is great and vocals are outstanding. Bass is also nice for an open back.

Just wish they had a removable cable. The hardwired one is far too long and unwieldy. 

Looking forward to hearing more about the ATH-R70x.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #92 of 250
  so its not particularly analitycal like Sennheiser 598 or similars ?
its defects showing is not soo evident ? 

I've only listened to the 598 for a little time.  But to my ears it had the Sennheiser 'veil' that I had noticed on their lesser models.  It was a smooth sound I'll give you, but from my memory it is nowhere as detailed as the ATH-AD900X.

You've heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day?  On smoother headphones they sound ok; the 900X really shows the clipping and other artefacts that don't sound so nice.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #93 of 250
  I really like these cans. Took me a while to get used to the floating arms design, but now I barely notice they're even on my head! Crazy easy to drive. I use them with great success with my Nintendo 3DS XL, which notoriously outputs very low. Haven't listened to a lot of music on them, but the soundstage is great and vocals are outstanding. Bass is also nice for an open back.

Just wish they had a removable cable. The hardwired one is far too long and unwieldy. 

Looking forward to hearing more about the ATH-R70x.

Find a microphone tie.  It's a double sided velcro strip that passes through a slot in itself.  You loop up the extra cable you don't need and it stays out of the way.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #96 of 250
  update, I gave up the idea of getting ad900x, and got the K7xx instead :p it will arrive around mid-feb, hope it will be a pleasant experience :D

Good choice. I own the K7XX and previously owned the ad900x (twice). K7XX is just much better in every way.

Own the AD2000x also now, I like both but the K7XX is a bargain and my most used phone (that comfort too).

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #97 of 250

I've only listened to the 598 for a little time.  But to my ears it had the Sennheiser 'veil' that I had noticed on their lesser models.  It was a smooth sound I'll give you, but from my memory it is nowhere as detailed as the ATH-AD900X.

You've heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day?  On smoother headphones they sound ok; the 900X really shows the clipping and other artefacts that don't sound so nice.

then the AD900x is much more detailed than 598 ?

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #101 of 250
Not sure if it's been discussed here but how does the ad900x compare to the q701, btw still wanna know if the ad900x is accurate enough for monitoring

I own both the AD900x and K702. Assuming the ancillary equipment is of very high quality, as is the source material, the K702 is in a different league in terms of resolution, transparency, detail, articulation.... This isn't to say that the AD900x is not a good headphone; I use mine quite often. In terms of monitoring, it's not necessarily how accurate a headphone may be, it's what you're used to and are able to make relative decisions based on that fact (I just wrote essentially the same thing in another thread). Good luck.

Edit: I notice you have an E7. I had one, as well. It had a much easier time with the ADs than with the AKGs.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #104 of 250
im currently looking into getting the ATH-AD900X Open-air purely for films and gaming due to the large sound stage but was wondering if anyone here would advise to look at the AKG K612 PRO or AKG K702 which both are priced very closely?

i only ask as some here have criticized the ATH-AD900X for not being accurate and having an echoey feel on the large soundstage

i am not a bass freak and like my sound more natural as its intended so if there is any bass it only shows when its supposed to show as its recorded if you understand what i mean :)

my current headphones which sadly have just died on me last week after 5 years of great listening are the Senn HD 595.

heres the list of current prices i have found.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X =  £119 ($184)
AKG K612 PRO = £98  ($151)
AKG K702         = £125 ($193)

any advice before i purchase would be very welcome

thanks again.

p.s. just so you know while i have a small basic amp (HeadRoom Total BitHead AMP/DAC) which to tell you the truth i have not used in a while but its there in case as i mainly connect to my soundcard a Creative 7.1 X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Sondcard

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #105 of 250
  im currently looking into getting the ATH-AD900X Open-air purely for films and gaming due to the large sound stage but was wondering if anyone here would advise to look at the AKG K612 PRO or AKG K702 which both are priced very closely?

i only ask as some here have criticized the ATH-AD900X for not being accurate and having an echoey feel on the large soundstage

i am not a bass freak and like my sound more natural as its intended so if there is any bass it only shows when its supposed to show as its recorded if you understand what i mean :)

my current headphones which sadly have just died on me last week after 5 years of great listening are the Senn HD 595.

heres the list of current prices i have found.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X =  £119 ($184)
AKG K612 PRO = £98  ($151)
AKG K702         = £125 ($193)

any advice before i purchase would be very welcome

thanks again.

p.s. just so you know while i have a small basic amp (HeadRoom Total BitHead AMP/DAC) which to tell you the truth i have not used in a while but its there in case as i mainly connect to my soundcard a Creative 7.1 X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Sondcard

The big advantage the AD900x has over the AKG's is it's incredibly easy to drive. The AKG's, not so much. Any of them would be great gaming cans.

Also not sure about where you live, but over here in the US I've found you can get the AD900x's for around $130-140. I got mine for that price about 2-3 months ago.

Other thing to consider is some people have issues with the "wing" system that the AD900x's use. I'm not one of those people, and think it's one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Both the K series AKG headphones are also very comfortable as well FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back