Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
May 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #466 of 751
Has anyone used both the A(D)900s and the A(D)900x, to compare? Is the bass really a big step up?  I've got the AD900s and am looking to upgrade to something better for dance music, these sound really nice but I'd love to hear from someone who could directly compare them!

May 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #467 of 751
  Has anyone used both the A(D)900s and the A(D)900x, to compare? Is the bass really a big step up?  I've got the AD900s and am looking to upgrade to something better for dance music, these sound really nice but I'd love to hear from someone who could directly compare them!

The AD's are open back, the A's are closed back, for dance music or metal I would recommend a closed back over open for more impact of the bass, especially of kick drums.

May 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #470 of 751

Hello. I´m selling A900X and A900.   Made in Japan.  157$  and 139$  free shipment US.  I have them on Ebay.  

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #471 of 751
Just had them modded a week ago :)

What I had them done:
1. Balance detachable female jacks
2. Kimber TCSS cable
3. 2X Ranko Acoustics jacks
4. Oyaide jack

Total cost for the mod: $98

The sound quality really impresses me! Here are the differences I have found so far:

Bass: More impactful and clearer but not too boomy.

Treble: A900X has been shining in this field for a while and I totally agree too. After the modification, the treble sounds even more crisp and clearer yet smooth to listen to. I'm really falling in love these cups now

Sound stage: The range of the stage is still the same, but I notice that it is now more 3D than the original. The instruments separation is also improved.

Details: Now this probably impresses me the most - some details that I didn't hear them before are now standing out and even more sharp.

To summarise, I love these headphones really much and I don't think there are any headphones with this price range can match them.

Click here for the image

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #473 of 751
Hello everyone! I noticed this particular pair of headphones is very under-reviewed on the English-speaking side of the world. Not just by users but by professionals as well (there is only one professional review of the ATH-A900X written in English, and that is by an European website - there are no American reviewers who's looked at these cans).  This is frankly rather strange to me, since Audio-Technica isn't exactly a small or unpopular brand, and their sound signature, to me, shouldn't have trouble acquiring a market in the mainstream.

So, I am getting the good words out - the ATH-A900X, in my opinion, is a very solid choice for both music lovers and movie-watchers/gamers alike in the sub-$300 category. It is a very well-rounded package and has great genre versatility:

The Audio-Technica ATH-A900X and its Frequency Response Measurements (measured by DigitalVersus)

Pros:
  • Beautiful, detailed, and sparkly treble with very good extension, but not sharp or sibilant! Treble on the A900X is perfectly presented in my opinion.
  • Warm, detailed, full-bodied, and engaging mids. Vocals and instruments sound clear, intimate, rich, and lively, but the mids are not so colored as to sound unnatural or artificial. Very well-balanced.
  • Bass has good extension and volume. There is a peak between 60-200Hz, which makes it very good for bass-heavy genres and movies/games.
  • Sound stage is extremely wide (especially for closed cans), with superb sound positioning and depth depiction. Instrument separation is likewise excellent (thanks to crystal-clear treble and mids).
  • Very comfortable (assuming you don't have prior issues with Audio-Technica's wings system).

Cons:
  • The mid-bass peak can be annoying to those who don't like bass emphasis or feel uncomfortable from high bass volumes (like me). Easily remedied with equalizers, though.
  • Comfort can be an issue if you have a narrow/small head, or if you just never liked Audio-Technica's wings in general. The clamping force on the A900X is fairly strong for my head size, and it doesn't slide around at all - but many users reported it sliding down onto their ears due to the wings not having sufficient downforce.

Feel free to share your own experiences with ATH-A900X, ask questions, or do your own comparisons with other cans you own.

Also, we should gather together and request some professional review sites to review the ATH-A900X! I already sent in a request to Headfonia, though I am not sure how to get through to InnerFidelity.  I think these headphones are excellent and deserve more exposure. :smile:

My Review: ATH-A9X, ATH-A900X, AKG K550 Three-Way Shootout

I own about 12 headphones and the ATH-A900X is one of my top two for music audio.

It would be nice if someone could do a comparison of the A900X (closed)  verses the AD900X (open).

Hiya everyone,

I'm thinking of getting the a900x (closed back) for myself. I don't have any expensive equipment to use them on, il be using my galaxy note 3, so, for portable use. Would you guys recommend these for portable use? I'm gonna be using a little fiio e6 as well if that helps. It's either these or the audio technica ws99's. I had settled on the ws99's but then I came across these. Thanks for any input.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #474 of 751
Hiya everyone,

I'm thinking of getting the a900x (closed back) for myself. I don't have any expensive equipment to use them on, il be using my galaxy note 3, so, for portable use. Would you guys recommend these for portable use? I'm gonna be using a little fiio e6 as well if that helps. It's either these or the audio technica ws99's. I had settled on the ws99's but then I came across these. Thanks for any input.

As much as I love the a900x.I can't recommend them for portable use. They are ridiculously big to walk around with, and will probably slide down from your head because of the wing system. Try the Beyerdynamic DT1350 for portable use, I hate on ears, but when I tried them... They were just so good in the treble area like the a900x, along with nice mids and bass too.

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #476 of 751
Are these discontinued?

The product title for Amazon says they are.

They are indeed discontinued. However there's probably so much left in warehouse stock, and low demand that you won't have to worry a thing about it.

I'm really scared for audio technica though, they have quite a rep through my eyes of discontinuing products quickly.

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #477 of 751

I'm really scared for audio technica though, 

I wouldn't worry about them too much.They're so popular over here in Japan that they could shoot themselves in both feet and keep on quite comfortably IMO.

It is a mistake on their part to discontinue these though I think.Maybe they realized they would have a hard time selling their more expensive stuff which is inferior to these 
evil_smiley.gif
Recently their has been some amazing deals here due to their discontinued status so if your around Japan....

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #479 of 751
What I had them done:
2. Kimber TCSS cable
4. Oyaide jack
The sound quality really impresses me! Here are the differences I have found so far:
Treble: A900X has been shining in this field for a while and I totally agree too. After the modification, the treble sounds even more crisp and clearer yet smooth to listen to. I'm really falling in love these cups now
Sound stage: The range of the stage is still the same, but I notice that it is now more 3D than the original. The instruments separation is also improved.
Details: Now this probably impresses me the most - some details that I didn't hear them before are now standing out and even more sharp.
To summarise, I love these headphones really much and I don't think there are any headphones with this price range can match them.
Click here for the image

Ever thought about getting the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads ($10+shipping)?

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #480 of 751

What I had them done:
2. Kimber TCSS cable
4. Oyaide jack

Click here for the image

With what company did you arrange for the mod? Can I use those balanced cables that you received with the X5 just as they are or do I need an attachment or another mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back