AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 27, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,216 of 3,694
  Has anyone compared the rednet 3 with a usb solution like the SU-1 with the latest xmos interface?

The F-1 which is the SU-1 in a simple form -- verdict from multiple people who also fed the F-1 with super clean power, generators, etc -- the Rednet by itself was still a class up.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,218 of 3,694
  How much better would be a better way of putting the question; rednet is a whole lot more expensive than a usb solution.

Is it? 

When you start looking at the additional cables, tweaks, power supplies, filters, LAN extender and whatever else people are piling on to their USB chains, it's not necessarily more expensive.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #1,219 of 3,694
  How much better would be a better way of putting the question; rednet is a whole lot more expensive than a usb solution.

Use the search. This question has been answered over and over again.

Originally Posted by rb2013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my current ratings:

REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB/SR Element Copper digital cable                            253
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB/Audience au24 se digital cable                              250
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB (SPDIF reclocker)                                                 240
REDNET 3/Cerious Power Cord                                                                               220
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB               170
Mutec 3+ Smart Clock USB/Cerious Power Cord                                                        155
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2                                                   145
PUC2 Lite TeraDak DC30W/Cerious/Regen                                                               135
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious                                                                                   135
DXIO Silver/TeraDak DC-30W/Cerious                                                                      130
Singxer X-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/iPur2                                                    125
PUC2 Lite - USB power                                                                                          110
Singxer F-1  Stock feed                                                                                          110

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,220 of 3,694

Is it? 

When you start looking at the additional cables, tweaks, power supplies, filters, LAN extender and whatever else people are piling on to their USB chains, it's not necessarily more expensive.

Not to mention the clutter -- connector here connector there. Fun when first setting up and plugging things in but after awhile you realize it'd be nice for one single box to replace 4-5 different usb accessories.

Now if Focusrite can get the size down to say 12x10x3" or smaller box, now we're talking.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,221 of 3,694
Is it? 

Bingo.

The comparison I would really like to hear about is the red net versus a micro Rendu with the $1300 power supply upgrade .

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,222 of 3,694

One caveat I think it might be important to mention is that it seems to me from the posts that i have read, the source may makes a difference. If you are using USB plus f1 etc. from a dedicated server solution then the gap in performance might not be so wide.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,223 of 3,694

To me that is a spurious question. USB and AOIP are not on the same dimension. It is like comparing apples with pears.

To me also, the SQ or listening satisfaction return on investment is much less ambiguous, even if the investment (which is of course on the same dimension) is greater.

I have never owned an audiophile rig costing many multiples of the amounts under consideration presently (say £5k plus for a single source). The only ultra-rig I can imagine envying now would be a vinyl one. The sheer depth and quality of what I'm hearing from flacs today leaves little to desire. I just listened to digital renditions of what on vinyl was (as a soundtrack to my early adulthood) "... And The Music Plays On" by Del Shannon (originally an unreleased album "Home And Away"). There are at least two CD representations (different production cuts) of that music from Del's Liberty years (late 1960s). What I was able to *enjoy* (both nostalgically and immediately) comparing both this evening exceeded (in marginal SQ terms) a few decades' worth of trying to glean more detail from vinyl. Isn't that what it's about? I'm having a more meaningful life!

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #1,224 of 3,694
For those of you who own a Mutec MC3+ USB there is a firmware update available for it on the Mutec website.

Hopefully not too off topic since I know several of you use one with your REDnet units...

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #1,225 of 3,694
One caveat I think it might be important to mention is that it seems to me from the posts that i have read, the source may makes a difference. If you are using USB plus f1 etc. from a dedicated server solution then the gap in performance might not be so wide.

This is what I was thinking also... some of the comparisons have even been done using a standard off the shelf PC, in those cases I am not sure if any type of USB chain can clean up the mess originating in the mother board. Besides Rednet, hopefully the comments in this thread will also help drive better development of dedicated source components more suited for the casual home user.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #1,226 of 3,694
For those of you who own a Mutec MC3+ USB there is a firmware update available for it on the Mutec website.

Hopefully not too off topic since I know several of you use one with your REDnet units...

I thought I had read somewhere that this update improves the sound quality of the MC-3+ USB, but the firmware update description only lists functional improvements.

Does anyone know anything more as regards the update and improved sound quality?

Thanks,

Joel

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,228 of 3,694

I thought I had read somewhere that this update improves the sound quality of the MC-3+ USB, but the firmware update description only lists functional improvements.

Does anyone know anything more as regards the update and improved sound quality?

Thanks,

Joel

http://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1469649461

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mutec-mc-3-a-17300/index31.html

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #1,230 of 3,694
I've downloaded the new Mutec firmware from 1.01 to 1.03 to 1.10.  My aural memory may be playing tricks on me but very first impression is that the sound seems a bit more lively without losing any clarity/flow. However, I don't have a quick method to A/B so I can't be sure (That's the nice thing about the Antelope liveclock - I can A/B quickly with a mouse click). Regardless, system sounds very nice so I'm sticking with it.

Yep, don't think I'm hearing things. More musical presence. As if I've moved up a few rows in an auditorium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back