AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 27, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #1,201 of 3,694
  Finally finished reading the thread, and quite interested in the AoIP gears.
Waiting for 2-channel network interface.
BTW,  why nobody mentioned Rednet 1/2? RedNet 1 includes eight analog outputs and JetPLL technology, saving cost on a DAC...

To the best of my understanding ... although @mhamel is the RedNet progenitor, @rb2013 got the chance to obtain a RedNet 3 at a discounted price. It went from there. It may be the case that, in the USA, Sweetwater offered a limited range of models; what's more, whereas in the UK and Europe RedNets 3 and D16 AES are on a price par approx., at Sweetwater the D16 AES was priced at $1,600 vs. $1,000 for the RedNet 3 (although rb2013 got his for $800 if I am not mistaken). RedNet box specs can be evaluated easily enough at https://uk.focusrite.com/ethernet-audio-interfaces/rednet and elsewhere on the www - factored of course against their prices. Even weighing up RedNet 3 vs. D16 AES should be a careful research-based purchasing process (see this thread a few pages back for differences between RedNet 3 and D16 AES - not to mention possible DAC compatibility issues). RedNets 1 and 2 are expensive. They don't boast what at-home audiophiles would typically use at the rear - i.e., RCA/Phono or BNC and/or AES outputs for a DAC. Even if requiring only Analog out on RedNets 1 and 2 with inbuilt D/A, you'd have to exploit DB25 connectors somehow. There may be host of other considerations of which I am not aware. I dare say rb2013 could provide the best narrative but he is a little shy lately - probably once bitten by the odd marauder. Anyway - the main point is to cross-reference RedNet model facilities very careful against your present and future usages (ever bearing in mind cost). For example, I appreciate (and use) the dual Ethernet ports on the D16 AES as well as its AES facility to feed my Dangerous Convert-2 (additional credit mhamel for the recommendation) which also has JetPLL technology and a better Clock than the D16 AES (so I use it). At least with RedNet 3 and D16 AES it's possible - thanks to this thread - to draw your own conclusions about what existing owners are saying about their experiences, provided of course they continue to chip in. btw I wouldn't hold my breath for a 2-channel version (although see AM2). Much water can pass under the digital playback bridge in not a lot of time these days.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,202 of 3,694
I have a question to the experts on this thread. What is the difference between a Rednet and a LANRover connected to a normal DAC?
As far as I see it LANRover is just a AOIP USB cable for any DAC and Rednet is the same thing built in but cost more money. If I am wrong..please enlight me! :)
You'll need to have really good reasons. I have the most amazing USB sound now with 3-wire unshielded USB wires and going to 2-wire dito with star ground pretty soon if I do not get convinced! :wink:

Nobody needs to convince you, you need to convince yourself.

All of the people who have tried the Rednet think it better than USB, and all had very good USB chains, some including LANRover-like setups.

Cheers

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,203 of 3,694
I have a question to the experts on this thread. What is the difference between a Rednet and a LANRover connected to a normal DAC?
As far as I see it LANRover is just a AOIP USB cable for any DAC and Rednet is the same thing built in but cost more money. If I am wrong..please enlight me! :)
You'll need to have really good reasons. I have the most amazing USB sound now with 3-wire unshielded USB wires and going to 2-wire dito with star ground pretty soon if I do not get convinced! :wink:

Nobody needs to convince you, you need to convince yourself.

All of the people who have tried the Rednet think it better than USB, and all had very good USB chains, some including LANRover-like setups.

Cheers

I like how you convince people Jabbr! :) However, it takes nore than that to convince me to switch. I cannot imagine a better sound that I have right now..with additionsl external grounding on BPS and Aries & BPS on streamer and Regen. Would I want a more complicated setup for small SQ upgrade? I do not think so! :wink:

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,204 of 3,694
As far as I see it LANRover is just a AOIP USB cable for any DAC and Rednet is the same thing built in but cost more money. If I am wrong..please enlight me!
smily_headphones1.gif

The only way to convince yourself is to take the plunge . I have and I am not sorry. Like all upgrades you don't know until you do it
All systems are not alike this is true of the listener as well . All I can say is the RN3 & Antelope Live clock combo is the best digital
I have heard to date .   

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,205 of 3,694
Quote:
I like how you convince people Jabbr!
smily_headphones1.gif
However, it takes nore than that to convince me to switch. I cannot imagine a better sound that I have right now..with additionsl external grounding on BPS and Aries & BPS on streamer and Regen. Would I want a more complicated setup for small SQ upgrade? I do not think so!
wink.gif

So it sounds like you already had your mind set before you asked the questions. That must confuse those who responded to you.

As Jabbr said no one here is selling AOIP. Those of us who have tried it after using expensive and well thought out USB chains just think that it is a remarkable upgrade.

It need not be complex. With one RN3 you can replace a bunch of cables, purifiers, linear power supplies.

AOIP seems to be the best kept secret in audio and is hiding in plain sight. I recommend you stay with USB since you are satisfied now.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,206 of 3,694
What is everyone using for source components?  Is the only option a computer with the virtual sound card?  

If it is a computer what about the concerns about a jittery and noisy (not meaning fan here) computer in the audio chain?

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,207 of 3,694
If I rephrase that question: How much would it take for you to change your setup that you finally perfected? Pretty much I guess! Even if I told you that I had the end game device in my hand for $100 I am pretty sure you would'nt bite without a solid proof. LANRover will be cheaper and easier to bite if it turns out as good as advertised. I can use my own DAC that I know I like. If I had the spare money I would jump the AOIP train just for fun. However, with my hard earned money I want to be very very sure before spending approx USD 2000 om a possible SQ improvement. I would rather spend them on good power supplies and grounding at this point...than loosing them on Rednet! :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,208 of 3,694
  What is everyone using for source components?  Is the only option a computer with the virtual sound card?  

If it is a computer what about the concerns about a jittery and noisy (not meaning fan here) computer in the audio chain?

As far as I know you need a computer at this point. For Rednet you also need either the Dante Virtual Soundcard(DVS) software which is included along with the hardware or else their expensive, and for us unnecessary, Dante PCIe ethernet card.

The good news is that most of us have found that this system isolates so well that many/most of the usual computer issues and consequent tweaks become moot.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,209 of 3,694

So it sounds like you already had your mind set before you asked the questions. That must confuse those who responded to you.

As Jabbr said no one here is selling AOIP. Those of us who have tried it after using expensive and well thought out USB chains just think that it is a remarkable upgrade.

It need not be complex. With one RN3 you can replace a bunch of cables, purifiers, linear power supplies.

AOIP seems to be the best kept secret in audio and is hiding in plain sight. I recommend you stay with USB since you are satisfied now.

In a way you are right. I have made up my mind..,but my mind is never rock solid when it comes down to audio. I have changed my mind more than ones to be honest! I have been in this hobby for more than 40 years though and it takes more than one or two opinions to make me change...but I will change to better knowledge! ;!

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,210 of 3,694
I just want to add my admiration for @rb2013 that are continously exploring the outer borders of digital audio. Hurray for the curiousity!!:hugging:

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #1,211 of 3,694
If I rephrase that question: How much would it take for you to change your setup that you finally perfected? Pretty much I guess! Even if I told you that I had the end game device in my hand for $100 I am pretty sure you would'nt bite without a solid proof. LANRover will be cheaper and easier to bite if it turns out as good as advertised. I can use my own DAC that I know I like. If I had the spare money I would jump the AOIP train just for fun. However, with my hard earned money I want to be very very sure before spending approx USD 2000 om a possible SQ improvement. I would rather spend them on good power supplies and grounding at this point...than loosing them on Rednet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for putting your questions in context. I certainly agree that just having a few folks touting a new product is not enough reason to stretch ones finances without more proof. I probably jumped in too quickly partly because I liked the idea of networked audio and partly because I have been following RB2013 for quite a while and trust his approach. As others started reporting similar success my resolve dissolved and I bought the D16 knowing that Sweetwater in the US has a 30 day return policy. Part of my plan was that if the D16 turned out to be better than my USB chain I would probably break even financially by selling my Mutec MC+3 USB and REGEN Amber. What I did not count on was that using the Mutec to re-clock after the D16 was another big improvement. So I am still going down the financial rabbit hole but am exceedingly happy with the sound quality. I always found digital recordings to be bright and fake sounding. Now I believe that our playback equipment just was not yet up to the task.

Hopefully as manufacturers see the new AOIP audiophile market some cheaper and maybe even better 2 channel devices will appear soon.

Sorry if I was sharp or did not understand where you were coming from. Thanks for replying.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,212 of 3,694
If you are not aware about it...here is a link to better SQ despite option: http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/audio-system-grounding-and-misconceptions/ Just ignore the slightly "angled" touch and do not forget to watch the video! :wink:

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #1,213 of 3,694
As far as I see it LANRover is just a AOIP USB cable for any DAC and Rednet is the same thing built in but cost more money. If I am wrong..please enlight me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Never mind. I see I was behind a page.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,214 of 3,694
If I rephrase that question: How much would it take for you to change your setup that you finally perfected? Pretty much I guess! Even if I told you that I had the end game device in my hand for $100 I am pretty sure you would'nt bite without a solid proof. LANRover will be cheaper and easier to bite if it turns out as good as advertised. I can use my own DAC that I know I like. If I had the spare money I would jump the AOIP train just for fun. However, with my hard earned money I want to be very very sure before spending approx USD 2000 om a possible SQ improvement. I would rather spend them on good power supplies and grounding at this point...than loosing them on Rednet! :)

Thanks for putting your questions in context. I certainly agree that just having a few folks touting a new product is not enough reason to stretch ones finances without more proof. I probably jumped in too quickly partly because I liked the idea of networked audio and partly because I have been following RB2013 for quite a while and trust his approach. As others started reporting similar success my resolve dissolved and I bought the D16 knowing that Sweetwater in the US has a 30 day return policy. Part of my plan was that if the D16 turned out to be better than my USB chain I would probably break even financially by selling my Mutec MC+3 USB and REGEN Amber. What I did not count on was that using the Mutec to re-clock after the D16 was another big improvement. So I am still going down the financial rabbit hole but am exceedingly happy with the sound quality. I always found digital recordings to be bright and fake sounding. Now I believe that our playback equipment just was not yet up to the task.

Hopefully as manufacturers see the new AOIP audiophile market some cheaper and maybe even better 2 channel devices will appear soon.

Sorry if I was sharp or did not understand where you were coming from. Thanks for replying.

No problem! Even if you do not recognize me I recognize you from CA! :wink: You will have to know the limitation of new products. Cheap products (below $200) could grow quickly within a mounth or so...but expensive stuff have to wait for recognition before they succeed. I am 100% sure that AOIP will grow...but if it will grow inside or outside DAC is another question all together! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back