AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jun 28, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #842 of 3,694
I feel sorry for those folks who are trying all they can to dismiss the improvement in SQ that a lot of people here are hearing who already tried Dante RedNet AOIP compared to USB.

I for one was glad that I took the risk in trying the RedNet AOIP without even knowing what I was getting myself into and now am very happy with the results.

A big plus is also knowing that I will never ever have to buy any of the latest and greatest USB decrapifier device out there.

We will probably hear a lot more bashing and trashing of this new found (to audiophiles) technology but all I'll say is the fuse have already been lit on AOIP and from here on it will only spread like wildfire!

I'll say it again.
USB AIN'T GOT NOTHIN' ON AOIP!!!

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #843 of 3,694
Did anyone replace the fuse in their RN3? I thought someone said they did, so I ordered a Padis fuse to try.

I got it today and am trying to figure out where to install it; well, the manual says "there are no user-replaceable fuses in RedNet 3" and I don't see a way to access the fuse. I'm assuming it is in the IEC socket but there's no opening or anything. Either that, or it's in the switch in front which is on lockdown. They filled in the gaps in the screws that hold it to the chassis so that it can't be removed.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #844 of 3,694
  Did anyone replace the fuse in their RN3? I thought someone said they did, so I ordered a Padis fuse to try.

I got it today and am trying to figure out where to install it; well, the manual says "there are no user-replaceable fuses in RedNet 3" and I don't see a way to access the fuse. I'm assuming it is in the IEC socket but there's no opening or anything. Either that, or it's in the switch in front which is on lockdown. They filled in the gaps in the screws that hold it to the chassis so that it can't be removed.

This would be @johnjen  -- maybe this is the way to get the R3 to respond to different power cables? The fuse could be blocking and advantage power cables are having to it or maybe it's the SMPS. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #845 of 3,694

Screen grabs of my latency tests (top 2), both software say PC is capable of streaming realtime audio.

Second screen grab shows latency at to be under 4ms which is considered good by Dante software, you can also see the settings for everything Rednet/Dante in that 3rd screen.

The last screen was the last step to achieve 24/192khz to work with my R3 and my slower 1.7ghz i7 over gigabit lan direct pc to R3 connect. First with the NiC enabled I unchecked everything and hit ok. Naturally the network card can not connect to anything without those services enabled. Then I turned them all on -- this was when 24/192khz became available to the Rednet. Then I started clicking things off one at a time to see which minimum set I need to run Rednet 3 and the last screenshot shows 3 items checked. I don't know what setting your setup this way will do to a computer hooked up over LAN that relies on other things besides feeding a Rednet with music so change this at your own risk.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #847 of 3,694
  I feel sorry for those folks who are trying all they can to dismiss the improvement in SQ that a lot of people here are hearing who already tried Dante RedNet AOIP compared to USB.

I for one was glad that I took the risk in trying the RedNet AOIP without even knowing what I was getting myself into and now am very happy with the results.

A big plus is also knowing that I will never ever have to buy any of the latest and greatest USB decrapifier device out there.

We will probably hear a lot more bashing and trashing of this new found (to audiophiles) technology but all I'll say is the fuse have already been lit on AOIP and from here on it will only spread like wildfire!

I'll say it again.
USB AIN'T GOT NOTHIN' ON AOIP!!!

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #848 of 3,694

Screen grabs of my latency tests (top 2), both software say PC is capable of streaming realtime audio.

Second screen grab shows latency at to be under 4ms which is considered good by Dante software, you can also see the settings for everything Rednet/Dante in that 3rd screen.

The last screen was the last step to achieve 24/192khz to work with my R3 and my slower 1.7ghz i7 over gigabit lan direct pc to R3 connect. First with the NiC enabled I unchecked everything and hit ok. Naturally the network card can not connect to anything without those services enabled. Then I turned them all on -- this was when 24/192khz became available to the Rednet. Then I started clicking things off one at a time to see which minimum set I need to run Rednet 3 and the last screenshot shows 3 items checked. I don't know what setting your setup this way will do to a computer hooked up over LAN that relies on other things besides feeding a Rednet with music so change this at your own risk.

So you got 192k to work with your laptop.  Perseverance pays off!

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #849 of 3,694

Do not use Thesycon DPC Latency Checker on Windows 8 or Windows 10 systems.

It's been bested since after Windows 7 and they don't seem keen on updating it. From their page:

Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond, which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8, which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #850 of 3,694
Okay, first impressions of the Rednet 3:

1. Holy crap, this is twice as big as my mind's eye told me it would be.
  2. Why the hell did they give me a brand new device with firmware so old it won't be recognized by what they tell me to download?
  3. Ugh, what a pain in the butt, this is taking forever, give me my music.
  4. Wait, after my manual firmware update you're updating the firmware again? Amateur hour.
  5. I regret my purchase. This is gigantic and a sloppy user experience.
  6. Okay, finally, it looks like I've made progress and just need to click a couple of channels to get things working.
  7. God damnit it sounds great.

Currently I'm just pumping 192kHz to my MHDT Labs Canary of all things because that's what I had hooked up. It may very well sound better than the Mutec MC-3+USB. I'm honestly afraid to chain that after the Rednet 3 now.

Now to find the settings @rb2013 experimented and landed on.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #851 of 3,694

Dayum.

I technically built my machine for gaming, but that translates to great audio performance as well.

Sample Rate: 192kHz
Dante Latency: 4ms
Buffer: 128 samples
Enconding: 24 bits / sample
Asio Latency: 1 ms
Rednet Latency: 150 microseconds

My machine's relevant specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT
RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400
Ethernet: Killer E2200 (Qualcomm Atheros)

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #852 of 3,694

1. Holy crap, this is twice as big as my mind's eye told me it would be.
  2. Why the hell did they give me a brand new device with firmware so old it won't be recognized by what they tell me to download?
  3. Ugh, what a pain in the butt, this is taking forever, give me my music.
  4. Wait, after my manual firmware update you're updating the firmware again? Amateur hour.
  5. I regret my purchase. This is gigantic and a sloppy user experience.
  6. Okay, finally, it looks like I've made progress and just need to click a couple of channels to get things working.
  7. God damnit it sounds great.

Currently I'm just pumping 192kHz to my MHDT Labs Canary of all things because that's what I had hooked up. It may very well sound better than the Mutec MC-3+USB. I'm honestly afraid to chain that after the Rednet 3 now.

Now to find the settings @rb2013 experimented and landed on.

Pretty much my thoughts, except I knew that it was basically the size of my Master 11.

@rb2013 has 1024 ASIO buffer, 1ms ASIO latency, 4ms Dante Latency, 150us Rednet latency (set in dante controller). He said the Rednet latency affected the sound in his experience.

Check out the ASIO Bridge (Hifi Audio Cable) here if you want to play games etc. without switching DVS from ASIO to WDM. http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #853 of 3,694

• Holy crap, this is twice as big as my mind's eye told me it would be.
  • Why the hell did they give me a brand new device with firmware so old it won't be recognized by what they tell me to download?
  • Ugh, what a pain in the butt, this is taking forever, give me my music.
  • Wait, after my manual firmware update you're updating the firmware again? Amateur hour.
  • I regret my purchase. This is gigantic and a sloppy user experience.
  • Okay, finally, it looks like I've made progress and just need to click a couple of channels to get things working.
  • God damnit it sounds great.

Now to find the settings @rb2013
 experimented and landed on.
Patience grasshopper, patience...Lol!
Wait until you tweek it a bit and a lot some burn - then drop in the Mutec explosion...good things await ye!

Steely Aja never, ever, I mean LP, SACD, as what I just heard from a good old 44k Redbook shot through the loop.

Ok this is insane SQ.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #854 of 3,694

Dayum.

I technically built my machine for gaming, but that translates to great audio performance as well.

Sample Rate: 192kHz
Dante Latency: 4ms
Buffer: 128 samples
Enconding: 24 bits / sample
Asio Latency: 1 ms

My machine's relevant specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT
RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400
Ethernet: Killer E2200 (Qualcomm Atheros)
Damn son, sub 1ms..bravo!

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #855 of 3,694

• Holy crap, this is twice as big as my mind's eye told me it would be.
  • Why the hell did they give me a brand new device with firmware so old it won't be recognized by what they tell me to download?
  • Ugh, what a pain in the butt, this is taking forever, give me my music.
  • Wait, after my manual firmware update you're updating the firmware again? Amateur hour.
  • I regret my purchase. This is gigantic and a sloppy user experience.
  • Okay, finally, it looks like I've made progress and just need to click a couple of channels to get things working.
  • God damnit it sounds great.

Now to find the settings @rb2013
 experimented and landed on.

Another satisfied customer.
Congrats and Welcome to the club!

Yes! Spreading like Wildfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back