Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Jan 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #31 of 2,738
By the way, Kingwa finally answered my question about the screws protruding from the top and sides. They weren't fastened down all the way for the photos.

I think it's a simple, nice looking unit and is finally ready for reviewers to take seriously now that it also has multiple inputs. Are there any reviewers that don't require multiple dealers in place before a product is reviewed? What about companies that sell direct?

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #33 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've asked Kingwa if it would be possible to put this in the RE7:

Welcome TO Shop@GFEC

I pointed them out to him before and apparently they are not reliable enough, which is a pity. I've heard rumours of a new USB 2.0 compliant chip that will do 24/192, which might be better.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #35 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone had to do it.

I don't get this... do what exactly?
Make a successor to their own product?

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #37 of 2,738
It looks great and finally I'd have it in my rack without being embarrassed how it looks but to picky why isn't he using 75ohm cable for the SPDIF input? He should have coax to the board. If he doesn't even maintain 75ohms there, then I don't why you'd bother with fancy cables.

Also I don't ever remember anyone saying that AES is better than SPDIF, its just SPDIF but worse. It is for long runs in noisy environments, not lower jitter.

Personally, I think I'd skip that all together and feed the M2Tech HI-Face's I2S direct into the DSP1.

I want one badly, $1700 is okay but the couple hundred in postage and I dread to think what the import duty is over here. I am in that part of Asia very soon but I'd have to empty my entire suitcase and still pay excess baggage to get it home!
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #38 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks great and finally I'd have it in my rack without being embarrassed how it looks but to picky why isn't he using 75ohm cable for the SPDIF input? He should have coax to the board. If he doesn't even maintain 75ohms there, then I don't why you'd bother with fancy cables.

Also I don't ever remember anyone saying that AES is better than SPDIF, its just SPDIF but worse. It is for long runs in noisy environments, not lower jitter.
biggrin.gif

I liked the the looks of the RE1 and I'm pretty sure that Kingwa would mke a board able to keep a 75ohm connection via S/PDIF. I however agree with you for AES, it is only good in long distance runs and I would recommend using S/PDIF with a BNC connection.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #39 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by newcris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I received from kingwa the REF ONE and REF 3, and now I'm reading about this new REF 7! Are my gears already old?
My configuration is:
PC--->(USB)--->(REF 3)--->(BNC)--->REF ONE--->(RCA)--->(tube amp).
REF 7 seems to perform the same function as REF one + REF 3. It's right?
confused_face_2.gif

This is what Kingwa wrote me about my "unhappiness":
"The RE7 is not include the RE3 performance inside. The RE3 is design for upgrade the low/mid grade source, even for RE7, the RE3 still had improve on the SQ while the source not high grade.
The RE7 just more input than the RE1, in China, some customers still choice the RE1 because some users don't need much input or they want to save some money .
We don't plan to discontinue the RE1 in future, it not old."

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #40 of 2,738
Quick question: today I've placed an order for the Roc amp, and Kingwa said they'll release a new dac with the same case dimension in a couple of months...
Any idea about this dac? It doesn't look like is the one we're talking about in this thread.

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #43 of 2,738
I don't think the RE7 is alone at the top of the A-gd DAC lineup it just shares that spot with the RE1.

2 cents FWIW.

Peete.

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #44 of 2,738
The irony about AES/EBU is that it seems to be the digital connection of choice for the high-end, yet, though the standard is 110 Ohms, 3-pin XLR plugs are not 110 Ohm. Stupid.

Anyway, all the people that hassled Kingwa for a Ref 1 with AES and optical can now buy one. We are over-indulged by him, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back