Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Sep 15, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,456 of 1,769
Why? I thought i could use it with speakers using their dac and also the pre-amp. So must i buy active speakers? Sorry for the stupid question (and for my terrible english).
To drive pasive speakers, you need the power amp like Master 9P. It is also ideal for headphones. If you get this amp, R-1 DAC can be ordered instead of R28.

Sep 15, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #1,457 of 1,769
Why? I thought i could use it with speakers using their dac and also the pre-amp. So must i buy active speakers? Sorry for the stupid question (and for my terrible english).
Hi, There are no stupid questions. The R28 works with "Line level". The Line level gears works between recording gears, mixers with lower level transfers. As You may see on the pictures and specs for the R28.. There are no speaker bindingposts, only RCA, XLR and mini XLR's (for ACSS) for outputs. This means that You have to add a decent power amp to make it sing with speakers. Headphones are fine as is. But don't worry The audio-gd gears work with almost everything (amps) out there. You will ge at really good result with almost everyting. -How much power do You think You will need for Your hypothetic spakers. How big is Your listening room? (in square meters?) What size of speakers are You thinking of.. (in litres?) -If You have a prefered pair of speakers what dB-level do they have for SPL/in 1 meter? Maybe we can help You out here to get a good match and choice for a decent amp. There are good active speakers out there but usually they will get more expensive for the same level/quality of performance compared to an external amp.

Please do Your best to answer these questions, and You will get a few good suggestions here from these skilled forum guys.
/Jan

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,459 of 1,769
I only want some decent little speakers for a desktop use, with a limited budget (500 bucks) and i don't want to buy other amplifiers... So i think i have to go with active speakers. Am i right?
I think You can do that. I am not the best "active speakers" guy here though I have some contacts among Finland's best manufacturers. I think a few guys here can give You a few good choices. If not. PM me and I will help You out.
Have a nice evening/Jan

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,461 of 1,769
I only want some decent little speakers for a desktop use, with a limited budget (500 bucks) and i don't want to buy other amplifiers... So i think i have to go with active speakers. Am i right?
Audio GD used to sell a Precision 3s power amp which together with a desk top speaker would fit your needs. I think that amp is discontinued, but I am sure you can find something similar.

Here is a link to the amp.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/amp/Precision3/Precision3EN.htm

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #1,464 of 1,769
Decent active speakers are a great decision with it.
I'm blown away how clean the AGD sounds with my active ELACs.
Well these speakers are ten times your budget, but also floor standing ones. :wink:

I bet it sounds equally good with shelf speakers of good quality.
There's no need for a dedicated amp, imo.

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #1,465 of 1,769
Just for the record:
I have had the opportunity to compare my R28 with the hyped Gustard R26.
I tried everything recommended in the Gustard thread, including the FCM mod, but in the end the Gustard R26 was not an upgrade to the R28 for me.

IMG_1787.JPG

That an internal streamer is built into the R26 is a wonderful thing, in my case I could then save the Gustard U18 DDC as well as a Raspberry Pi4, BUT:
Both the ROON Raat protocol and the HQPlayer NAA protocol are updated regularly, and in the case of Gustard's internal streamer, you have to rely on an update coming from Gustard.
In my case, with the RPi4 as the NAA interface, I can simply and easily install any upgrade myself.

I am very satisfied with the R28, and actually there is no reason to think about an upgrade, but man is just strange, and always strives for something better - even if only to satisfy the brain. :D

Tomorrow I get a Rockna Wavelight, as well as a Denafrips Pontus II, I am really VERY curious about these comparisons to the R28!

The "FCM" mod praised in the Gustard thread is evenutell also intressant for all others who stream their music:
What you need:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ng-music-bridge.963630/page-154#post-17279910
Explanation:

The principle is not new, and is sold in the Hi-fi sector sometimes incredibly expensive, here is an example of an offer from a German dealer:
https://www.projekt-akustik.de/adot-mc02_dual-kit

In use with the Gustard R26 I could not notice any difference, but I will give it another chance in my system :)

IMG_1744.JPG

I would love to upgrade to this device here:
https://magnahifi.com/de/audio-gd-r...psu-balanced-r2r-ladder-fpga-dac-pcm-dxd-dsd/

Unfortunately, the device is so huge that I would have to replace my entire lowboard on which my hifi equipment stands...

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #1,466 of 1,769
Just for the record:
I have had the opportunity to compare my R28 with the hyped Gustard R26.
I tried everything recommended in the Gustard thread, including the FCM mod, but in the end the Gustard R26 was not an upgrade to the R28 for me.

IMG_1787.JPG

That an internal streamer is built into the R26 is a wonderful thing, in my case I could then save the Gustard U18 DDC as well as a Raspberry Pi4, BUT:
Both the ROON Raat protocol and the HQPlayer NAA protocol are updated regularly, and in the case of Gustard's internal streamer, you have to rely on an update coming from Gustard.
In my case, with the RPi4 as the NAA interface, I can simply and easily install any upgrade myself.

I am very satisfied with the R28, and actually there is no reason to think about an upgrade, but man is just strange, and always strives for something better - even if only to satisfy the brain. :D

Tomorrow I get a Rockna Wavelight, as well as a Denafrips Pontus II, I am really VERY curious about these comparisons to the R28!

The "FCM" mod praised in the Gustard thread is evenutell also intressant for all others who stream their music:
What you need:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ng-music-bridge.963630/page-154#post-17279910
Explanation:

The principle is not new, and is sold in the Hi-fi sector sometimes incredibly expensive, here is an example of an offer from a German dealer:
https://www.projekt-akustik.de/adot-mc02_dual-kit

In use with the Gustard R26 I could not notice any difference, but I will give it another chance in my system :)

IMG_1744.JPG

I would love to upgrade to this device here:
https://magnahifi.com/de/audio-gd-r...psu-balanced-r2r-ladder-fpga-dac-pcm-dxd-dsd/

Unfortunately, the device is so huge that I would have to replace my entire lowboard on which my hifi equipment stands...

Nice.

The question to myself is:
What is the advantage of the R7HE over the R27HE?

If I ever would, the R27HE seems to be the logical upgrade path to me. :)

For context, I don't want to add much more amps to my chain. :wink:

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #1,467 of 1,769
Nice.

R27 is based on R8 DAC, not R-7 DAC as a name suggests.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #1,468 of 1,769
Nice.

Know that is only a question to yourself.

However, if you want to try something out, my suggestion would be DI20He for your R28. I started out with a R28 as well. The DI20He has the best sound quality improvement for the cost. Since, that addition, I have added a R8He to the system now. The DI20He makes improvements for the R8He as well.

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #1,469 of 1,769
Thanks guys.
I really appreciate the honest feedback and be happy to learn more bout it. :wink:

It's always self questioning in this hobby, I think. ^^
The keys is, not to overdo this and forget to listen to music rather then gear. :)

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #1,470 of 1,769

Users who are viewing this thread

Back