Audio GD Precision 2 Speaker / Headphone Amplifier
Dec 1, 2014 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

dan.gheorghe

1000+ Head-Fier
Audio GD really impressed me with Master 9 and its capabilities, so I bought a speaker amplifier from them, the Precision 2. After using it as a speaker amp and loving it, I was really surprised by the headphone output, as it is one of the best I've ever heard. I've written all about it here.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 33
Great review Dan.

I like my Precision 2  also.
I have gone thru the older C39 / C10 / Ref7 route and always felt that the it was too "cold" for me. There is also many other "cold" devices out there that gives you the details, but doesn't have "soul", i have got those also. I have got tube gear, but there has been weaknesses in some other areas than warmth.
The Audio-gd Precision 2 gives me exactly what i wanted from the sound.
It has a bit of 2nd harmonic distortion in the vocal area, but its like this review that i read about Devialet dac-amp: "...The Devialet may has the honest sound that i  have heard, but its another thing appreciate it than liking it..."

Regards,
n-a

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 33
Thank you, n-a. Exactly, I also liked tube sound, but precision 2 gives the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 33
  How many headphones have you tried with the Precision 2?
Can you recommend something that works "very" well with the P2?

The main tests have been done with LCD-X and HD800. Both sounded very, very good with P2. And as I said in the review:

It was a great match for both HD800 and LCD-X. With HD800 it was a delight. I never heard so much bass from HD800 and such natural sound. It also tamed the treble without taking from the sparkle and the extension.

Besides those headphones, I have recently tried HE-560 with it and I loved the combo as well.  (will post my review on he-560 this week).

I also have a TH-900 here. Haven't tried it yet, but if you want I can come back with more info about this.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 33
Thanks, i was just thinking that have you had a change to try the HE-560.
So the main "top" options are either HD-800 or HE-560. Wich one you like better with the Precision 2?

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 33
  Thanks, i was just thinking that have you had a change to try the HE-560.
So the main "top" options are either HD-800 or HE-560. Wich one you like better with the Precision 2?

I like them both very much, however objectively speaking, HD800 would be the better headphone. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 33
Hi Dan!
I am a current owner of the HD800 and Precision 2.
The thing is I'm getting a bit of upgraditis and wondering if tube amps can improve the HD800.

My problem is this is my first high end setup and I have no benchmark to compare with. Is what I'm hearing good? Extremely good? Meh?

Make no mistake though, I really enjoy my setup and the sound gives me goosebumps sometimes.
It's just that you keep wondering if you can do better.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 33
Hi Dan!
I am a current owner of the HD800 and Precision 2.
The thing is I'm getting a bit of upgraditis and wondering if tube amps can improve the HD800.

My problem is this is my first high end setup and I have no benchmark to compare with. Is what I'm hearing good? Extremely good? Meh?

Make no mistake though, I really enjoy my setup and the sound gives me goosebumps sometimes.
It's just that you keep wondering if you can do better.

You can always do 'better', not necessarily tubes,  but if the P2 is anything like my Master-6 you will have to spend some significant bucks.

So the question is 'how big is your wallet' 
wink_face.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 33
Hello there,

Well, Precision 2 is one of the best headphone amplifiers I have ever heard. I would take it over the tube amps I've heard until now. What you have in terms of amplifier is very good. I found that I am a bigger fan of good ss amps, even if tubes have their magic. To go better than P2 with HD800, you would probably have to buy the new HE-9 from Audio-GD. 

What DAC do you have? HD800 also scale a lot with a good DAC. And when I say a lot, I mean a freaking lot. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 33
Hello there,

Well, Precision 2 is one of the best headphone amplifiers I have ever heard. I would take it over the tube amps I've heard until now. What you have in terms of amplifier is very good. I found that I am a bigger fan of good ss amps, even if tubes have their magic. To go better than P2 with HD800, you would probably have to buy the new HE-9 from Audio-GD. 

What DAC do you have? HD800 also scale a lot with a good DAC. And when I say a lot, I mean a freaking lot. 

I'm currently using the new Matrix Mini-I so to be honest that is the weakest link in my chain. What DAC do you feel complements the HD800?
My only requirement is an optical input as I use them on my pc and I use the optical out of my sound card for games.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 33

Hello there,

I'm currently using the new Matrix Mini-I so to be honest that is the weakest link in my chain. What DAC do you feel complements the HD800?
My only requirement is an optical input as I use them on my pc and I use the optical out of my sound card for games

I would recommend going with an R2R dac. You could go with Audio Gd Master 7 or the new HE-7 from them. You can also look for a second hand Theta Dspro gen V, but you would need a usb -> spdif converter like ifi ilink.

Schiit Yggdrassil will also appear soon and some say it offers extreme quality for the price. (on par or better than the more expensive MSB units [this is to be tested, as I have to hear it for myself]).

Also, MSB Analog Dac is extremely good but kind of expensive. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #14 of 33
Have you heard the Precision 1?  I'm trying to figure out if the how different the sound quality is between the P1 and the P2.  My other question is which of his headphone amps is the the Precision 2 based off?  Or would it be better just to ask Kingwa himself?

May 8, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #15 of 33
  Have you heard the Precision 1?  I'm trying to figure out if the how different the sound quality is between the P1 and the P2.  My other question is which of his headphone amps is the the Precision 2 based off?  Or would it be better just to ask Kingwa himself?

I see you have the Precision 2 on your signature.  Are you liking this amp?  How's it work with headphones vs speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back