Audio-gd NFB-28
Feb 10, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #826 of 2,104
  Did you think I was nuts when I said that to you before? 
biggrin.gif

In fact, that's probably what made me take more notice in the first place! So, thanks! I'd always kinda heard it a bit, but actually used some reference tracks this time to be sure. D'Angelo's "Really Love".

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #827 of 2,104
I think you will like it...it's well broken in!  :basshead:

I still miss it a bit even though I have the Ref 10.32 now.  Should have just bit the bullet and kept it lol.

Super glad you didnt have both the 10.33 and the 28 up forsale at the same time...

Super happy with the wolfson chip, but always curious about the nfb-28

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #830 of 2,104
  Just wanted to chime in and say that I really think I hear an appreciable difference between hearing this amp cold vs. after warming up/leaving it on accidentally.

As you should.  The amp is biased into class A, which means it doesn't sound right until it fully warms up and becomes thermally stable.  Similar to a tube, you either give it time to warm up or leave it on 24/7.  I belong to camp 2, Team Always Ready =)

I'm not going to go looking for it but Nelson Pass has a paper on this and the measurements from cold to fully warmed are wild.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #831 of 2,104
Yeah, though people say 20 minutes is enough. I think that is fair.
Do keep in mind that NFB products and most a-gd amps (well most amps in general) work in class A only to a certain power output/wattage after which they switch to class AB. I confirmed this with Kingwa.
C2-SA and Master series are the lone exceptions... Not that it matters just FYI. :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #832 of 2,104
Yeah, though people say 20 minutes is enough. I think that is fair.
Do keep in mind that NFB products and most a-gd amps (well most amps in general) work in class A only to a certain power output/wattage after which they switch to class AB.

Absolutely but, correct me if I'm wrong, the 28 gets pretty warm no?  20 minutes is not long enough.  Stability takes hours.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #833 of 2,104

Absolutely but, correct me if I'm wrong, the 28 gets pretty warm no?  20 minutes is not long enough.  Stability takes hours.

Sure, most gear gets fairly warm, at least the ones I own/owned.
I wouldn't go overboard with that claim though. Ok, 20 minutes might be to optimistic, but 1 - 2 hours tops.
I wouldn't comment on the gain honestly. I might hear a difference I might nor... Without a real blind test, I am not going to make any claims, even if graphs show distortion reduced, etc. For what it counts, it might not be audible.
All I know is that Audio-gd products sound real good most of the times. Case in point my current longstanding favorite, the SA31SE.
There are days when I turn my gear on in advance and then sometimes I turn it on and start listening right away. Also, ears are more sensitive on some days and less so on others so... That variability is also important.
I always turn my gear off overnight simply because it glows and I want my room dark overnight 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #835 of 2,104

he mentioned ref. 10.32, not 10.33 ...quite a different breed...

Oh I had the 10.33 too which I sold to Scotch, also a unit I miss but didn't mention. 

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #836 of 2,104
  I hope you have a balanced cable waiting!

Your ears will be glad :)

I do not, but I have a bunch of connectors and wires in the mail.  :-D

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #839 of 2,104
No take-back-sees
wink.gif
I'm lovin it!

I was definitely considering the 10.33 too.  My original plan was to wait until I got the HE-560 and then see how it sounded on the NFB-15 vs the GO SE (Wolfson vs Sabre) and then decide whether to go for the NFB-10 or NFB-28.  But I couldn't pass up the used NFB-28 when I saw it!

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #840 of 2,104
I was definitely considering the 10.33 too.  My original plan was to wait until I got the HE-560 and then see how it sounded on the NFB-15 vs the GO SE (Wolfson vs Sabre) and then decide whether to go for the NFB-10 or NFB-28.  But I couldn't pass up the used NFB-28 when I saw it!

I'm pretty sure you'll be happier with the nfb28. The 10.33 is a bit softer and more polite than the Oppo HA-1 was. Bass was a little tighter and soundstage a bitter wider on the Oppo. I know they are not the same thing at all, but if it's any indication... it will pair better with the HE-560. Where it excels is paired with my HD800 (early serial no. super bright model).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back