Audio-GD NFB-11
Feb 17, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #721 of 987
interesting. i found that my nfb-12 isnt very warm sounding at all. it is pretty transparent. haha i opened it up and made sure. it is WM8741 because the sound didnt match that of what ppl were saying. i dont really feel that treble roll off. i also find it that the bass on the nfb-12 is kinda lean, however in terms of tightness, i do think it isn't very tight or clear as i like. maybe im just being picky

to "hello im sean": no i dont think i will get the digital interface. haha i spent too much money so far and im fine with using optical :D

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #722 of 987

Quote:

X2 on the sibilance tendencies, Been using it to power some orthos and so far it has been superb so no biggie. Anyway got no issues on you NFB11? No LEDs conking out or unit getting hotter than usual?

No such issues going on and my the only bad thing about the LED is it's freaking bright (My NFB-12 had a darker less bright blue as opposed to this crazy intense light bright blue).  The unit has been left on 24/7 for more than a week and I'm using it's optical in with no problems so far.  I do have it on top my computer tower so airflow and keeping it cool isn't really a problem.  Maybe in the summertime it might get a bit warm though.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #723 of 987

Quote:
interesting. i found that my nfb-12 isnt very warm sounding at all. it is pretty transparent. haha i opened it up and made sure. it is WM8741 because the sound didnt match that of what ppl were saying. i dont really feel that treble roll off. i also find it that the bass on the nfb-12 is kinda lean, however in terms of tightness, i do think it isn't very tight or clear as i like. maybe im just being picky

to "hello im sean": no i dont think i will get the digital interface. haha i spent too much money so far and im fine with using optical :D

I didn't find the bass lean but I know it wasn't as tight as I liked it either. As for it being warm and rolled off I'm sure when you get your NFB-11 you'll notice it.  It doesn't really come into realization until you start comparing it directly with other gear.  

Also is there anyone on here that's getting a digital interface with their NFB-11? I've read that the sabre 32 chips are jitter efficient so it wouldn't be even worth it to buy it right? 

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #725 of 987

Quote:
well depends, how are you running the optical? through a soundcard or mobo? either way the DI should deliver better quality due to less interference and its dedication to keeping samples in order

Just from my motherboard and I'm sure there can be some improvement.  I'd definitely like to try it though so feel free to PM me if anyone has one to sell.  

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #726 of 987
Can anyone help me?

Bought the headphones - HE-4.
I understand that, ideally, under which it would take a DAC + Amp, but now there is no money and I would like to take something from the combo devices.

I see these options:
Audio-gd FUN-A
Audio-gd NFB-11

Or take the NFB-2 and listen without an amplifier? That this will never understand ... but in the future will only have power to purchase.

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #727 of 987
I´d go for the NFB-11. It´s cheaper too. Are you interested in trying out the different discrete op-amps in the FUN? The main point in that model is that it can be customized via those different op-amp modules and receiver chips so you can tune the sound. You can start using it as a DAC+AMP, then later if you want you can start using the DAC output and buy a C-2 amp. 

Also, try sending Kingwa an email at his hotmail email account and ask which one he´d recommend. He´s an honest guy.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #728 of 987
In this case you are right. Fan is really more like a designer and is suitable for experiments, but what confuses me and bothers to NFB-11, not too cheap rail chip it uses?

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #729 of 987

I would like to make a remark regarding the bass with the NFB-11.
Listening to the bass on my active dynaudio and active sub with the NFB-11 I can say that you can here that there is a lot of control. Probebly becauce it has a good power supply and the discrete amps.
But it's also warm and deep and because of the detail it will reveal any basslifts in recordings. Also the use of harmonizers (often used to get warmer bass) in the mix will be noticed.
That's why I like to listen to live recordings!
It is very difficult to decide if the sound is neutral and honest if you listened to recordings but I trust my NFB-11 :wink:

Tini

Quote:
I didn't find the bass lean but I know it wasn't as tight as I liked it either. As for it being warm and rolled off I'm sure when you get your NFB-11 you'll notice it.  It doesn't really come into realization until you start comparing it directly with other gear.  

Also is there anyone on here that's getting a digital interface with their NFB-11? I've read that the sabre 32 chips are jitter efficient so it wouldn't be even worth it to buy it right? 

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #730 of 987
Hi

It seems like this thread has fallen a sleep.. I wonder what have happend to You guys that have Your NFB-11's broken/dead.. Have You got the expected support? Sent them back for replacement..?

I will get my NFB-11 in a few days... I hope. It landed yesterday in Leipzig (DHL).

Do somebody who had listened to the -11 a longer time have anything to say. It would be appreciated.

/Jan

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #731 of 987
Well I'm not much of a reviewer, but here is my impression of the NFB-11.

Firstly, it's quite pretty!

To be honest I am very pleasantly surprised by the build quality of this thing. The controls are pretty intuitive and the volume pot is nice and silky. The switch labels look professional, and it's just a nice thing to sit on my desk. The one gripe I would have is that the switches look like generic parts-bin items that look like they might be more at home as a power switch for a desk lamp (I think it's due to the Os and 1s). Rather ironically the actual power switch is at the back, which is quite inconvenient.

One of my slight concerns about this product is that I hadn't ordered anything from Audio-gd before and so didn't know what to expect. My last desktop amp was a Tiyuan Zero and it was nowhere near up to this standard. It also used to pop rather loudly on power-on, have a noticeable power supply hum, and also have other off-putting quirks. To be honest the Zero turned me off cheap Chinese equipment entirely for a while. I'm happy to say that the NFB-11 has changed all that. It just performs the way you'd expect from a quality piece of audio kit - at a fraction of the price of any competitor.

The price of this thing is/was just astounding. I'll get to the sound in a minute, but so far this is an absolute bargain at $270 shipped. Of course as with any piece of kit, it's always possible that this money could go down the drain if the amp just dies in the arse. But from all accounts the customer service from Audio gd is very good, and indeed I've been happy so far with the communication from Kingwa during the seemingly interminable wait to get the unit in the first place. So I'm willing to call it a bargain already.

So about the sound. Well, I have to say that my initial impressions have changed significantly. I am not a big believer in burn-in, but without doubt my perception of the audio signature has changed. Initially I was extremely impressed with the sound, with the infamous detail of the amplifier showing up all sorts of nuances and, yes, details in music which often go unheard on lesser equipment. However in many ways I found it quite tiring to listen to! One of the previous posts mentioned the phrase 'borderline sibilance' (or something like it) and I have to say this describes my initial impression. The highs of some tracks were like razor cuts in my ears - exquisitely sharp and distortion-free but difficult to listen to.

However I'm happy to say that I've persisted with it and am now either used to the signature (or burn-in has occurred, take your pick) and am totally happy with the result. The detail is still there but without the discomfort. And let's not forget the midrange and bass. I don't really have the vocabulary, but the detail and clarity is exceptional. Also the soundstage - the NFB-11 really opens up the music to a new level (new to me anyway). I don't have a lot of experience with other amps to compare it but the NFB-11 is clearly a cut above the other amps I've owned. The only problem is a tendency to turn it up too loud!

I haven't yet tried the problematic USB connection, currently I have it connected via optical cable to the Mac Pro and am currently enjoying Radiohead's latest through D5000s. Just fantastic.

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #733 of 987
Fantastic impressions. I'm sure the detractors will come and state the burn in as pixie dust, but you're yet another Audio-GD owner who has experienced first hand how these components improve over time.

The temptation to crank the volume dial to unsafe levels is one I'm all too familiar with. My Audio-GD Fun has an incredibly black background and high volumes are effortlessly handled without a hint of distortion. It dares you to crank the volume.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #734 of 987

Quote:
Well I'm not much of a reviewer, but here is my impression of the NFB-11.

Firstly, it's quite pretty!

To be honest I am very pleasantly surprised by the build quality of this thing. The controls are pretty intuitive and the volume pot is nice and silky. The switch labels look professional, and it's just a nice thing to sit on my desk. The one gripe I would have is that the switches look like generic parts-bin items that look like they might be more at home as a power switch for a desk lamp (I think it's due to the Os and 1s). Rather ironically the actual power switch is at the back, which is quite inconvenient.

One of my slight concerns about this product is that I hadn't ordered anything from Audio-gd before and so didn't know what to expect. My last desktop amp was a Tiyuan Zero and it was nowhere near up to this standard. It also used to pop rather loudly on power-on, have a noticeable power supply hum, and also have other off-putting quirks. To be honest the Zero turned me off cheap Chinese equipment entirely for a while. I'm happy to say that the NFB-11 has changed all that. It just performs the way you'd expect from a quality piece of audio kit - at a fraction of the price of any competitor.

The price of this thing is/was just astounding. I'll get to the sound in a minute, but so far this is an absolute bargain at $270 shipped. Of course as with any piece of kit, it's always possible that this money could go down the drain if the amp just dies in the arse. But from all accounts the customer service from Audio gd is very good, and indeed I've been happy so far with the communication from Kingwa during the seemingly interminable wait to get the unit in the first place. So I'm willing to call it a bargain already.

So about the sound. Well, I have to say that my initial impressions have changed significantly. I am not a big believer in burn-in, but without doubt my perception of the audio signature has changed. Initially I was extremely impressed with the sound, with the infamous detail of the amplifier showing up all sorts of nuances and, yes, details in music which often go unheard on lesser equipment. However in many ways I found it quite tiring to listen to! One of the previous posts mentioned the phrase 'borderline sibilance' (or something like it) and I have to say this describes my initial impression. The highs of some tracks were like razor cuts in my ears - exquisitely sharp and distortion-free but difficult to listen to.

However I'm happy to say that I've persisted with it and am now either used to the signature (or burn-in has occurred, take your pick) and am totally happy with the result. The detail is still there but without the discomfort. And let's not forget the midrange and bass. I don't really have the vocabulary, but the detail and clarity is exceptional. Also the soundstage - the NFB-11 really opens up the music to a new level (new to me anyway). I don't have a lot of experience with other amps to compare it but the NFB-11 is clearly a cut above the other amps I've owned. The only problem is a tendency to turn it up too loud!

I haven't yet tried the problematic USB connection, currently I have it connected via optical cable to the Mac Pro and am currently enjoying Radiohead's latest through D5000s. Just fantastic.

No heat issues so far?

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #735 of 987
Thank You one-eyed-xander for a really good review. It was just what I wanted to hear.

I received my NFB-11 today and had about an hour, listening to it with a very cheap PC-headphone.. Anyway after that hour it got a bit warmer sounding and the temperature on the chassie was warm in a nice healthy way. I left it on with an "overnight playlist" at work and I hope it will survive that.

By the way ...I am using the USB-interface right now.

/Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back