Audio-GD NFB-11
Feb 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #676 of 987

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the mini reviews Tini and Zynaps.

Could somebody test the SPDIF vs Toslink inputs?

My SPDIF is being used for DD/DTS, so I'll have to use Toslink or USB from my PC to NFB-11.
But if SPDIF is clearly the best input, i'll have to change things.

Thanks

both coaxial and optical are spdif so i think you referring to;
SPDIF = Coaxial input?
Toslink = optical input?

Well sound from the coaxial and optical so be no different, and I found the USB equally good when i did a quick test with my NFB-12.

Oops, You're absolutely right... I meant Coaxial input. 
I'm a little concerned, since Audio GD has dropped USB from their ESS DACS outright. 
User opinions are that Coaxial is best implemented, the Toslink seems well buffered in pictures tho.
anybody else.....?  Bueller?

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #677 of 987
I will test the coaxial input next week and let you know the results.

After a few days burning in and listening to I think 50 cd's the NFB-11 only got better!
It has also a downside........ you easily play to loud! It is so clean and soft that it never screams or irritates.
The other thing is that older recordings with bad dynamics are sounding boring.
But I love the subtile details this unit gives and there is space in the soundstage, reverb doesn't stay attached to the voices and instruments but give you a look into the recordingroom or stage.
I love it!

Tini

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #679 of 987
Agreed, some sound signatures can make people ignore harmful volume. It's best to just train yourself to listen at low-moderate levels and never at moderate-loud or loud.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #682 of 987
Stop using your nfb-11, and email audio-gd asking for advice.

Meanwhile I would unplug it, open the top, and take a picture and send it to audio-gd. Note if something looks wrong like a stray wire or something dislodged. Don't worry too much, if it's defective they will replace it under warranty.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #683 of 987
Doesn't the warranty get voided if you remove the top panel? I have a sticker on the top and rear panel making it impossible to open it without tearing it off.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #684 of 987
Doesn't the warranty get voided if you remove the top panel? I have a sticker on the top and rear panel making it impossible to open it without tearing it off.

I dont think so. Got some new observation on this one. The unit itself tends to get hot after 3hours and the LED indicator doesn't light up anymore. Anybody got the same experience?

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #686 of 987

Quote:
A[quote name=".Sup" url="/forum/thread/516886/audio-gd-nfb-11/675#post_7260529"] Doesn't the warranty get voided if you remove the top panel? I have a sticker on the top and rear panel making it impossible to open it without tearing it off.
I dont think so. Got some new observation on this one. The unit itself tends to get hot after 3hours and the LED indicator doesn't light up anymore. Anybody got the same experience?[/quote]

Have you contacted A-GD about this as suggested?

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #688 of 987

Quote:
Quote:
A[quote name=".Sup" url="/forum/thread/516886/audio-gd-nfb-11/675#post_7260529"] Doesn't the warranty get voided if you remove the top panel? I have a sticker on the top and rear panel making it impossible to open it without tearing it off.
I dont think so. Got some new observation on this one. The unit itself tends to get hot after 3hours and the LED indicator doesn't light up anymore. Anybody got the same experience?

Have you contacted A-GD about this as suggested?
[/quote]

Asked Edwin for advise regarding this, he just said to ship it back if I'm 100% sure on the noted problems.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #689 of 987
Does the LED Come on and then go off after 8 hours?

Do you have the headphones plugged in all the way?

Move the  headphone plug slightly in and out to see if the imbalance changes, ie wiggle it around.  Push it in and pull it out while listening to it.

Does it still work when the LED goes off?

I have no personal contact with this unit, so I don't know how hot is normal.  I also don't know what is hot to you.  Do you have a thermometer.  Personally I think everyone should have an IR thermometer.  I use mine almost daily.  Perhaps I need to consult a MD about my Temp fetish...

Some channel imbalance would not be something out of the ordinary for a non-premium Volume POT.  

Can you try another set of canz and see if the imbalance is still there?

Answers to these questions would help.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #690 of 987

Quote:

Kingwa once said something about the stickers being there for warranty purposes when there was a little uproar about the stickers being unaesthetic. If you're worried, go ahead and ask Edwin for permission to open the case and examine it. But I am confident they wouldn't void your warranty just to take a peek under the hood, it's just a deterrent to modders damaging gear and then trying to claim warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back