Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,321 of 3,093
  Hi. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience using the the Audio-GD NFB-11/15 with AKG Q701s. I am new to this game and am looking for a good headphone amp to pair with my AKGs Q701s. I will mainly be listening to Classical music off my Macbook so initially was looking at the Modi/Vali stack but I am more drawn to the Audio-GD because of its better input options.

I have also read that it is a superior piece of tech musically. Is the Audio GD NFB 11/15 actually better than the Vali/Modi SQ wise, or are we actually just talking about musical taste?

If you do recommend, then would 11 or the 15 be a better match for the Q701s. I have seen some comparisons, but they always seem to be with Modi/Magni stack. Would appreciate hearing from someone who has compared the Audio GD NFB with Vali/Modi, especially to drive the Q701, but any general advice would be appreciated

I see it as the NFB-11/15 offering features that the Modi/Vali does not.
The NFB has three digital inputs, the Modi only one.
The NFB-11/15 comes with a separate line-output (RCA) for speakers.
The NFB-11/15 can have it's firmware update, I believe the Modi can not.

Better specs
The NFB-11/15 amplifier offers more power then the Vali.
The S/N on the NFB DACs are higher then the Modi's

I've used my NFB-15.32 with lots of difference headphones (like 6 or 7, 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm) and it seem fine driving them all.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,322 of 3,093

I see it as the NFB-11/15 offering features that the Modi/Vali does not.
The NFB has three digital inputs, the Modi only one.
The NFB-11/15 comes with a separate line-output (RCA) for speakers.
The NFB-11/15 can have it's firmware update, I believe the Modi can not.

Better specs
The NFB-11/15 amplifier offers more power then the Vali.
The S/N on the NFB DACs are higher then the Modi's

I've used my NFB-15.32 with lots of difference headphones (like 6 or 7, 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm) and it seem fine driving them all.

Thats a big part of why I went with Audio GD in the end. Received it today. All I need now is to purchase an optical lead. Any recommendation on a suitable optical lead?

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,324 of 3,093
  Thats a big part of why I went with Audio GD in the end. Received it today. All I need now is to purchase an optical lead. Any recommendation on a suitable optical lead?

I'm assuming your Macbook comes with the 3.5mm mini-toslink optical jack?
So this cable should connect the Macbook to the Audio-GD

3ft Optical Toslink to Mini Toslink M/M 5.0mm OD Molded Cable, $2.13+shipping.
Cable also comes in 6ft, 12ft, 25ft, but I'm guessing a 3ft (or 6ft) would be long enough.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1556&seq=1&format=2

Not sure if the Audio-GD comes with the USB cable?
For connecting the Macbook to the Audio-GD's 32-bit/384K USB input, $1.25+shipping.
6ft USB 2.0 A Male to B Male 28/24AWG Cable - (Gold Plated) - WHITE (also comes in black).
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=8616&seq=1&format=2

If you want to get a pair of self-powered 5" studio monitors ($170) for use with the Macbook/Audio-GD
I bought them about 6 months ago myself.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,325 of 3,093
I have an NFB-11 (2014) on order to pair with my HE-500 headphones.  I'm hoping it will be an improvement over the O2/ODAC I'm using currently.  I've read that the HE-500 really needs > 1W of power to do it justice and in that regard the O2 is underpowered.  Not quite sure what to believe but will post my findings once it arrives!

Tom

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #1,326 of 3,093
  I have an NFB-11 (2014) on order to pair with my HE-500 headphones.  I'm hoping it will be an improvement over the O2/ODAC I'm using currently.  I've read that the HE-500 really needs > 1W of power to do it justice and in that regard the O2 is underpowered.  Not quite sure what to believe but will post my findings once it arrives!

Tom

The NFB-11 and ODAC both use Sabre DAC chips.
My O2 could drive my 600-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones.
The HE-500 are listed as 38-Ohms, but it might how the power is delivered.

I'm currently using the NFB-15.32 to drive all my headphones :)
And they all sound GOOD.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,328 of 3,093
  Those studio monitors are excellently priced and your recommendation makes them a steal! I'm assuming they are comparing to Audioengine's.

The Monoprice 5" studio monitors appear to be rebadged M-Audio BX5s.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #1,329 of 3,093
  Thanks for this. I almost went for the Vali/Modi stack based on the good reports it has paired with the Q701s, but when I sent an email asking a question they were nonchalant (at best) about answering it and didn't even answer it properly. In the end I went with the Audio NFB 15 based on the advice of other head-fier and also a really good customer service experience with Audio GD, who actually did answer my questions. Ironically Audio GD spoke better English than Schiit!

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Schiit. You must have caught them on a really bad day as I have only ever heard glowing reports about their customer service and my own experience with them was top notch and a reason why I will continue to give them more of my business in the future. I have had the good fortune to meet Jason (one of the founders of Schiit) a few months ago while I was on holiday in the USA and I found him to be very approachable and very customer service oriented. Like I said, your experience seems to be an isolated event and not the norm. Sorry this happened to you but I hope you enjoy your Audio Gd gear.

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #1,333 of 3,093
Finally received my NFB11.

Its the latest version, cooling grills on top and everything.

It arrived very well packed (like a tank actually) with an USB cable, power cable and caps for the RCA outputs.

I did as instructed here on the forums by Kingwa and started the unit after the pc complete boot up.

Installation gave me a 1607 error (something with installshield wizard)  so i installed only the drivers per se (without the Via audio panel).

Opened Aimp, select Wasapi 32bit 384kbit and VOILA !!

The sound is so much richer and detailed than my receiver, i could discerne Madonna tapping her neck thru the music.

The mids, highs and lows are all there. Representation is very neutral and detailed.

I could hear someone laughing during the Creedence Ramble Tamble that i never heard before.

So far im really impressed by the 30min run (lunch time haha) i had with it.

This night i will test more.

Overall im much satisfied (so far), Audio GD personnel kept emailing me about the status of the shipping and the unit after i received it.

Thanks guys.

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #1,334 of 3,093
Glad you like it. I think Audio-GD is an amazing company... Only have had good experience with them so far.

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,335 of 3,093
  Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Schiit. You must have caught them on a really bad day as I have only ever heard glowing reports about their customer service and my own experience with them was top notch and a reason why I will continue to give them more of my business in the future. I have had the good fortune to meet Jason (one of the founders of Schiit) a few months ago while I was on holiday in the USA and I found him to be very approachable and very customer service oriented. Like I said, your experience seems to be an isolated event and not the norm. Sorry this happened to you but I hope you enjoy your Audio Gd gear.

Hi Swannie007. Thank you for apologising on behalf of Schiit. Its really nice of you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back