Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Aug 28, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #16 of 3,093
Heatfan12, how does the DAC compare so far to the NFB-15s?

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #17 of 3,093
OK, my turn to report back.....

First, on the driver install, be patient. Mine looked like it was sitting at 0% for 5 minutes, so I forced it closed. Then I would get an install error. Had to reboot, move the files from the flash drive to hard drive, and then start over. Then again, it would sit at 0% and appear dead....but after a couple of minutes it said done. It installs something called "Audio-gd deck" on the desktop, although I have no idea what this does. When I double click that, nothing happens.

Anyway, on with the review....

Comparing the new NFB-11.32 to my original NFB-11 (working usb version), through Beyer DT990/600 headphones.

The new USB implementation does have audible benefits, which to be honest, surpises me. My ears aren't real good at picking up subleties, but in this case, the changes must be pretty significant if I notice them.

1) The upper frequencies are sharper. Cymbals crash is more apparent.
2) Vocals sound clearer and more defined.
3) The few HiRez tracks that I do have sound much more refined.
4) The one negative I will say, the bass is a bit lighter than before. I think some would consider the original bass a bit more bloated, as the new 11.32 has tighter bass. I'm more of a basshead, so I'm going to give this a small negative.

Amp review.....I can either drive the cans straight from the 11.32, or through an old british integrated with a very powerful HP out. The 11.32 has more than enough power to drive the DT990/600s in low gain at 11 o'clock. The 11.32 also has a quieter background than the BI....so I think I will be using the 11.32 alone.

Thumbs up to another great audio-gd product.

And let me add one more thing....this is my 5th audio-gd purchase, but first since the NFB-11 two years ago. Their communication is much improved. While there is still the overnight delay from China, they did respond every day, whereas in the past it may take a day or two.

A new pair of Hifiman HE-400s are due in this week, so I'll test out everything again when it arrives.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #18 of 3,093
Hmm... any possibility that "burn in"/cap forming kick in and alter your initial findings (based on your previous experience with "old" NFB-11)?

Any sound differences via other inputs (coax, optical)?

Congrats on your new NFB.
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #19 of 3,093
Quote:
Hmm... any possibility that "burn in"/cap forming kick in and alter your initial findings (based on your previous experience with "old" NFB-11)?

Any sound differences via other inputs (coax, optical)?

Congrats on your new NFB.
beerchug.gif

I guess when the HE-400s arrive, then we'll see what affect the burn-in has (I'm not a believer, but we'll see)
biggrin.gif

There is not supposed to be any differences in the COAX/OPT, as this was only a USB upgrade. I am using it USB only via a laptop at work, so no plans on doing a COAX/OPT comparison, sorry.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #20 of 3,093
OK, thanks, but let me rephrase:

1. Have you noticed any sound changes that you can recall on your "old" NFB-11 from new to now?

2. I know "new" and "old" NFB-11 should differ (and most probably do) just in new USB implementation, but just to be sure - can you still give a quick listen through coax on both? Perhaps the differences you hear could also be (at least partly) heard on other inputs? I reckon that confirming that there are no differences or there are some differences also on other inputs (cap forming or anything else) is quite important.

3. Does your new 11.32 have upgraded clocks?

In any case - thanks for your input.
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #21 of 3,093
Ah gotcha...

Any sound changes over time on my old NFB-11.....not as far as I can tell. It sounds great now, but I am also using much better source material (rips) than 2 years ago.

A coax comparison would only be possible if I plugged both into my home system. Currently no plans to do that, if I decide to later I'll let you know.

Upgraded clocks....no, that change is beyond my hearing capability.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #22 of 3,093
Quote:
Ha ha... i see ... I ordered the nfb11.32 with the usb and the sabre chip TCXO crystal upgrade...18 Aug 2012 ... and still awaiting for it.
Kingwa told me they are testing and burning in the crystal clock upgrade ... which will take longer time to manufacture the DAC.
I will pair it with a srh840 headphone, Dared kt88 tube amp and comparing the SQ with ibasso anaconda D12

Nice.....Curious to hear on the clock upgrade.  Still using it at the moment with the DV and have to say it pairs great with tubes.  When I finish testing her out it will be used as a standalone, but it's good to weigh out all the options for future connections.....Looking forward to your impressions...
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Heatfan12, how does the DAC compare so far to the NFB-15s?

Hey Darkbeat,

Honestly, with some gear I sold and the purchase of the NFB-16, NFB-15.1 and now the NFB-11.32, the last several weeks I have been switching around a lot and making various connections to find them proper placement (office, bedroom etc..).  All three so far sound excellent and all three bring something to the table.  If I have some time this weekend, I'll connect the 11.32 by the 15.1 and do some side by side comparisons.

Cheers!!!

@Sparky- Outstanding....Great to hear it drives 600 ohm cans well and looking forward to your impressions with the HE-400s.

Cheers!!!

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #23 of 3,093
Anyone can compare this to the Yulong Sabre D18? I believe that used the same chip but was more expensive. Just that this is new and cheaper....I don't know. Perhaps something to think about..

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #24 of 3,093
Hi.

I did receive my NFB-11.32 yesterday (this tuesday). My have the two TCXO's (12MHz and 80Mhz). At this time it is no idea to say much about the sound. It needs about 2-400 hours to settle.
I know that based on earlier experiences. The ESS-chip-based Dac's are slow in this "decide what to be"-area. My NFB-7 took about 600-700 h to open up the soundscape to where it is today.

Well I will say something about the sound. I am listening through HD650 silverwired. The install was easy in my Win 7 Ultimate x64 on an ASUS 1215B (AMD E-350).
I have only tried the USB-input. The sound is crisp clear for sure and I must admit that the jitter surely are reduced in this USB-chip as advertised. ..but at this moment rather flat and thin.... This will better up massively later I know.

I think Kingwa has a winner in this chip-combination USB-ES9018.

A very possitive experience for me/us is the fact that the USB works perfectly in asynchronous mode with Logitech Squeezebox Touch and Triode's applet: Enhanced Digital Output "EDO".

My NFB-11.32 is feeded right now, through my Squeezebox Touch with various music in various qualities in asynchronous mode. It will be burned in that way for a week for a start and sooner or later it will mature and then get a more juicy verdict from me. Stay tuned.

Thanks for reading

/Jan

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 3,093
Quote:
OK, my turn to report back.....

First, on the driver install, be patient. Mine looked like it was sitting at 0% for 5 minutes, so I forced it closed. Then I would get an install error. Had to reboot, move the files from the flash drive to hard drive, and then start over. Then again, it would sit at 0% and appear dead....but after a couple of minutes it said done. It installs something called "Audio-gd deck" on the desktop, although I have no idea what this does. When I double click that, nothing happens.

The "Audio-gd deck" must connect and power on the gear then can click it active.
While it active, it will have a black speaker on the bottom of right .
Click the speaker will appear a control panel for  users  setting the output bits / sampling in it.
The control panel have the volume control but can't active for the default NFB-11.32.
Because the hardware driver have remove the volume control function in the NFB-11.32.
We have free another hardware driver flash shipping with the first batch NFB-11.32 .
Replace this flash chip in the NFB11.32 can get the volume control active but the replace can't be wrong. Otherwise the gear maybe will shatter within few seconds .
We will post the guide in near future if some users request volume control .

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #26 of 3,093
Quote:
The "Audio-gd deck" must connect and power on the gear then can click it active.
While it active, it will have a black speaker on the bottom of right .
Click the speaker will appear a control panel for  users  setting the output bits / sampling in it.
The control panel have the volume control but can't active for the default NFB-11.32.
Because the hardware driver have remove the volume control function in the NFB-11.32.
We have free another hardware driver flash shipping with the first batch NFB-11.32 .
Replace this flash chip in the NFB11.32 can get the volume control active but the replace can't be wrong. Otherwise the gear maybe will shatter within few seconds .
We will post the guide in near future if some users request volume control .

Hi Kingwa,

Thanks for the update.  The NFB-11.32 works great but when I click A-GD Deck icon it says welcome on the bottom right and that's it.  Will you make it available as a download?  Will it look like the TE8802 control panel?

Thanks!!!

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #30 of 3,093
Ok now I wish I had the 11.32... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back