Audio-gd NFB-10
Oct 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,397 of 2,860

Quote:
Quote:
So did they not inform you of shipment? How did you find out what day it shipped if so? 

For me, I was told it would go out "tomorrow."  I waited for it, then it came, maybe 10 days later, I wasn't keeping track.  I doubt it went out the day the guy said it would, but then again I tried to keep myself occupied instead of worrying about it.  I mean, I worried, but I tried not to.  If you really want to know the details I can look it up, but my advice is to just wait.  Personally I just didn't wanna hound the poor guy for tracking info because the most important thing is that it would arrive.  For sure I would have been more persistent if I suspected a problem though.

You need to help the fence sitters and those waiting in agony by posting impressions.
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #1,398 of 2,860
Quote:
You need to help the fence sitters and those waiting in agony by posting impressions.
wink.gif

Sure, I'll play.  Please bear in mind the following:
• I bought it for its power, its balanced operation, and digital input.  Oh and its price.  I wasn't and still am not picky.  Maybe that comes later in one's audio journey.
• I haven't had much headtime on it.
• I'm not even close to the purported 200-hr burn-in these things are said to require after delivery.
• This is my first serious piece of equipment for my particular headphones.  I thought my Firebox was pretty special until I found myself with a Q701 and two Fostexes.  I ordered this to "catch the fly," to use an expression.  Still trying to find some time to reterminate my leads.  I've been saying this in my posts for a bit longer than I'd like.
• I haven't put my 701s on it.  I wanted to complete burn-in (just took it off its burn station this afternoon) and spend a few hours on the Firebox to gain some sort of reference point before entering the next level.  Just wanted to simplify my variable factors so I know exactly which improvements are due to amp burn-in, balanced versus single-end connection, recable, etc.
• I think I burned in my T50RP on the NFB-10SE.  Frequency bleeds across the spectrum seemed to clean themselves up after a couple of hours.  The headphones, brand new, must have been the source of this.

For the fence sitters, there is no reason not to get this product if you're in the market for a DAC or a balanced amp, in this tier anyway.  If this thing is truly as neutral as it's described, and if you think like I do that "bit perfect" is the last word (or two) in digital transport, there is no reason to choose another device in the same tier over this one, given its price point.  I want a Lyr, for example, but in tandem with, not in exchange for, the NFB-10SE.  The grain of salt is that I have no immediate plans for any piece of kit over $1000.  Not worth it to me at this point in my life.  (Ask me again after the meet in February haha.)  Remember, it is my only audiophile-grade DAC and amp, so I'm gonna have impressions that are far less developed/nuanced than someone who's had, say, other Audio-gd devices, or other DACs, more critical listening experience, stuff like that.

I've had fewer than 10 hours of headphone listening since receiving my NFB-10SE.  And that was what, just over a week ago?  I haven't heard the relays yet.  I do think the volume buttons themselves are louder than I'd like, but that's kind of silly of me.  I do think that even in the low gain setting I have to keep the volume no higher than I think 11 or 12 on my T50RP.  I was hoping for more fine control; would that mean less headroom?

Sounds nice.  I'm still getting a feel for my stock T50RP, and the last time I drove it with my Firebox it was fresh out of the box, but I do hear differences that may be either the amp's sound, or headphone burn-in.  More resolving in the upper mids and lower highs, maybe a bit less brash in the highs by comparison, better (but not more) bass.  Soundstage has been decently wide and nicely imaged, though I've heard better with my 701 out of the Firebox.

I used a quickly assembled burn-in playlist that included some earlier Katie Melua, selections from The Roots' "Do You Want More," a song or two from "Watch The Throne," a little bit of Massive Attack, James Blake's "Limit To Your Love," Chrono Cross OST, "In a Silent Way," and Brubeck's uncommon time-sig stuff.

I'm connected via cheap mini optical out of my MacBook Pro.  I set its output to 24/96, though I think all the FLAC I put through it has been 16/44.  Resolution so far seems to be what I expect (i.e. flawless), and no better or worse than my pro audio I/O box.  I got this thing for its amplification and its DAC/amp one-box combo, and have yet to really put it through its paces.

I went through the digital filters like one would hunt for a radio station.  I heard differences, settled on one, thought about it no more.

Also, I'm missing having a volume knob.  A knob is far easier to operate without thinking.  Maybe I'll get used to the volume buttons, but so far it is not the unconscious process that turning a knob has been.

This impression is not impressing me so far.  Sorry guys.  I'll know more about this thing in the coming weeks.  But for some early perspective, there it is.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,400 of 2,860
Very useful post! Thanks. Cheers to olor1n too for prompting you! Looking forward to your balanced impressions in due course olor1n.

As one of them fence-sitters (
wink.gif
) I gotta say I was just innocently cruising these amp forums building up a general picture of different amps, their sounds, and peoples' sound preferences. I honestly wasn't looking for another amp.

It says a lot for the reported sound of audiogd gear (neutral, transparent, detailed); the factors mentioned above (balanced operation and high power) and the price/performance ratio of the current deal that I'm actually considering the 10SE!

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #1,401 of 2,860
Nice impressions Lurkumaural. It seemed you were satisfied at this early stage until you mentioned not being overly impressed at the end. I wonder if the SE's neutrality has anything to do with that? I usually favour a warmer and more coloured presentation, so admittedly I've had to adjust to the SE somewhat. It's not cold or clinical, but I do also find it very revealing. How good it sounds is quite dependent on the quality of the recording.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #1,403 of 2,860

Quote:
Nice impressions Lurkumaural. It seemed you were satisfied at this early stage until you mentioned not being overly impressed at the end. I wonder if the SE's neutrality has anything to do with that? I usually favour a warmer and more coloured presentation, so admittedly I've had to adjust to the SE somewhat. It's not cold or clinical, but I do also find it very revealing. How good it sounds is quite dependent on the quality of the recording.

I like bass a lot so I use bass heavy cans and speakers with the AGD gear I have- full sound still but with the fidelity. A colored front end makes speaker/can selection tougher IMO.

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #1,407 of 2,860

Also AD-2000 are very easily driven by this low gain set at volume 10 is more than enough. high gain I cant get it past 7. 

Quote:
 I do think that even in the low gain setting I have to keep the volume no higher than I think 11 or 12 on my T50RP.  I was hoping for more fine control; would that mean less headroom?

Must say, the lack of volume range is putting me off a bit.   According to GD: "The NFB-10SE has 48 steps in both high gain and low gain modes just as a total 70 steps volume control rang allow users smooth to control the volume level."

Quote:
everyone told the developer that....but that only made him upset and more paranoid and he kinda stopped coming to the topic.
lol. :?

We should pay him a visit and force him to change it 
devil_face.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #1,408 of 2,860

Quote:

Must say, the lack of volume range is putting me off a bit.   According to GD: "The NFB-10SE has 48 steps in both high gain and low gain modes just as a total 70 steps volume control rang allow users smooth to control the volume level."

You can probably order with with a lowered gain, ask Kingwa if that's possible. It is definitely powerful and could use 99 steps.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #1,409 of 2,860

Quote:
You can probably order with with a lowered gain, ask Kingwa if that's possible. It is definitely powerful and could use 99 steps.

Yes, Kingwa will build it with -7DB low gain as opposed to 0DB.  The high gain will remain at +12DB.  I don't know why they don't just make this a running change since I really can't see the downside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back