Audio-gd NFB-10
Oct 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #31 of 2,860

Quote:
The computer is out of the signal chain with the Transporter, because you can use it via Wi-Fi.  There is absolutely ZERO difference in sound quality between Wi-Fi and TCP/IP though, and I get drop outs on Wi-Fi so I use an ethernet cable.  Squeezebox Server sends over the raw PCM data to the Transporter, which is where it converts it to S/PDIF or AES.  This is one of the main reasons why I use it, so that the computer is not in the chain.

OK lets try this again...where are your source files stored ?

Peete.

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #32 of 2,860

Quote:
OK lets try this again...where are your source files stored ?  
Peete.

Are you trying to tell me you think there is going to be a difference in how your audio is reproduced whether your data is coming from a hard drive instead of a solid state drive?  Please tell me you're not.

It makes no difference how noisy the power supplies are in your computer.  The PCM data is being transferred RAW to the Transporter, just as if you were copying a file to a USB drive or burning a CD.  No data corruption happens.  Only once it has reached the Transporter is it converted to S/PDIF and then streamed to the DAC.  That is where it matters.

And Squeezebox Server can be run off a computer or off a NAS drive.  And there is no difference is sound quality... obviously.

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #33 of 2,860
I think he means that he wants to be able to play music independent of a computer, whether to store or stream.  To use the Transporter, you need to have a computer always on to have it stream to the Transporter which feeds the DAC, but with music server/transport, my guess something similar to the old Olive players where it is self contained in one unit.  This will enable you to rip and store the music in the transport itself. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #34 of 2,860

Quote:
I think he means that he wants to be able to play music independent of a computer, whether to store or stream.  To use the Transporter, you need to have a computer always on to have it stream to the Transporter which feeds the DAC, but with music server/transport, my guess something similar to the old Olive players where it is self contained in one unit.  This will enable you to rip and store the music in the transport itself. 

Bingo.

Peete.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #35 of 2,860

Quote:
I want a balanced Wolfson please Mr. Kingwa!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you can catch it before 10th Nov, dual WM8741.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #36 of 2,860

Quote:

Well, no.  You can't do it in one unit but you can use a NAS drive.  The only top model out now that can do that is the Meridian Sooloos, and for the touch screen and computer system (yes, it still uses some kind of system) costs about $8500.  I'm sure it's phenomenal and I'd love to own one.  The few people I've talked to that have used it have also found it to be excellent.

Unfortunately, the only top shelf media streamer around now is the Logitech Transporter and it's discontinued.  Marantz has one coming out that uses TCP/IP but it only has unbalanced analog outputs and no digital outputs.  If you want one with a built in DAC, the Marantz might be a good choice but it's not out yet so no one has heard it.

The Transporter was something of a special product even if you didn't use its high quality DAC, because of all the features it had, which the new Touch does not.  The only similarity between the two are they both can support 24/96 files.

Anyone here know who could mod my Transporter for me with two supplied clocks and wire?

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #38 of 2,860
Oct 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #39 of 2,860

Quote:
[size=13.1944px]Quote:[/size]
[size=13.1944px]

I want a balanced Wolfson please Mr. Kingwa! 
smily_headphones1.gif

[/size]

[size=13.1944px] Quote:
 I think you can catch it before 10th Nov, dual WM8741.

[/size]

Quote:
[size=13.1944px]Oh thank you sir![/size]

Hi there,
could someone explain this to me, please... Fully Balanced Dual WM8741 DAC before 10th Nov ??? What's the price, I would probably buy one 
atsmile.gif

Thanks

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #42 of 2,860

Quote:
I suppose, a NFB-10 like DAC/pre/headamp combo with dual Wolfson DAC chips instead of ESS chip...

NFB-9?

popcorn.gif

Hmm.... sounds like either a NFB-9 or an NFB-10 will be heading for The Netherlands before Christmas this year
atsmile.gif

These Audio-GD releases seem to be more eagerly anticipated than the average Apple product release
biggrin.gif

Should I wait for the first reviews, or just jump on board. I think I'll 
popcorn.gif
 for a while!

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #43 of 2,860
Nov 10 and he's releasing a balanced DAC utilizing WM8741s?  The NFB-10 hasn't even started shipping, I am still unclear if the NFB-1/10/11 and etc have even started shipping yet.  This is great news for the customer base as it will tailor to people who might like the certain characteristics from different DAC chips.   

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #44 of 2,860
I would like to know how it sounds compare to dac19+c2 combo with both single end and balanced way.

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #45 of 2,860

Quote:

These Audio-GD releases seem to be more eagerly anticipated than the average Apple product release
biggrin.gif

And better quality too
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back