Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
Sep 21, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #181 of 286
Nos 7 with ocxo(powered battery+LT1963+2pcs 200uH choke+2caps) just amazing!
example:crappy Phil Collins-Easy Lover not harsh anymore.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #182 of 286
So big and so good!!!

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #183 of 286
  You can try Mode 2, it seems lot of people like it, but be prepared you will lose some PRaT.

This has been my experience also - Mode 2 seems to extent the highs (thus increasing the perception of a large sound stage), but at the expense of a fairly large reduction in micro-dynamics, stuff like the impact of snare drum thwacks are more realistically portrayed in NOS 1 mode.
To offset the perceived loss of highs in Mode 1, I changed my AO filters settings (Audiophile Optimizer Software for Windows Server 2012) to "XX".. this restored the high level detail (from "4A" used previously) and thus increased the sound stage..
The resultant presentation can best be described as ethereal....

As always, this is just an observation with my equipment (listed in my profile) and YMMV.. but thanks to bButcher for these initial observations as it helped to identify this particular PRaT attribute more easily.     

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #185 of 286
Ref7 has an outboard DSP board where master7 has the DSP in the mainboard. yes Ref 7 can be upgraded to NOS7 I've done it for mine it's quite easy

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #186 of 286
Has anyone compared HDMI vs RJ45 I2S performance? I've ordered a HDMI kit for my ref7 hopefully it's the right decision over RJ45

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #188 of 286
don't know but I think it would be close. there is not much changes from ref 7 to master 7 other that an integrated dsp chip

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #189 of 286

Added 2 more isolator L and R trafos.​
Better crosstalk,more 3d,detailed bass.Lot of air.

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #190 of 286

Added 2 more isolator L and R trafos.​
Better crosstalk,more 3d,detailed bass.Lot of air.

Your upgrade is just out of this world. Btw ended up getting those battery power supply you posted since one of my office worker ordering some from taobao. I use it to power amanero board and HDMI module. It is an upgrade over the amanero just powered internally

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #191 of 286

Battery power supply+2x5H choke+ocxo=What!!!!

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #192 of 286
  (1) J1 {PLLEN}, J2 {ATT0}
Master clock
98 Mhz - [On, On], [Off, Off] --- directly use TCXO 98.304MHz clock, clock jitter would be determined by 98.304 XO's quality
196 Mhz (PLL1) - [On, Off] --- use Cyclone's PLL function to multiply the input clock by 2, clock jitter would be determined by PLL jitter performance (200ps max according to Cyclone's spec)
294 Mhz (PLL2) - [Off, On]--- use Cyclone's PLL function to multiply the input clock by 3, clock jitter would be determined by PLL jitter performance (200ps max according to Cyclone's spec)

Master clock is used to drive the low pass filter and generate BCLK, WCLK and DATA for 1704s.

refer to "http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/NOS/NOS7/NOS7EN_Use.htm"
In mode 1, you can use either PLL, in mode 2 you can only use PLL1 cause the FIR filter take too much computation power.

Default is PLL off; No matter which one you choose, the jiiter performance just can't compare to a femto clock.

About PLL, please refer to "http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&Id=30056&page=2"
It's audio gd's Chinese forum, sorry it is in Chinese.

About Bypass, Audio-gd won't recommend anyone use it; By email exchange with Kingwa, he just told me all functions will be disabled and after doing some testing it's easy to find out the rest.
Actually if you disconnect the 98Mhz XO or just cut off its power, the DSP-1 will automatically enter BYPASS mode.

Quick question regarding this when I did the amanero and hdmi mod in my Ref7 modded to NOS7 king wa's instruction is not connect MCLK by this doesn't look like external master clock is ever connected. So I wonder if NOS7 will ever use the external femto clock in SU1

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #193 of 286
  Quick question regarding this when I did the amanero and hdmi mod in my Ref7 modded to NOS7 king wa's instruction is not connect MCLK by this doesn't look like external master clock is ever connected. So I wonder if NOS7 will ever use the external femto clock in SU1

No. It will reclock using internal 98.3MHz XO.

The only benefit you get by connecting a SU1 or F1 to NOS7 is galvanic isolation. The SQ improvement is limited compared to if it's connected to a Master7.
The only way as far as I know of for you to enjoy the SQ improvement as observed in Master7 is set it to "BYPASS" mode.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #194 of 286
Thanks that makes sense

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #195 of 286
  No. It will reclock using internal 98.3MHz XO.

The only benefit you get by connecting a SU1 or F1 to NOS7 is galvanic isolation. The SQ improvement is limited compared to if it's connected to a Master7.
The only way as far as I know of for you to enjoy the SQ improvement as observed in Master7 is set it to "BYPASS" mode.

If it's set to "BYPASS" on NOS7, is the sound still considered Non-Oversampling (NOS)? Or will it revert back to M7?
Also, do you know if there is a difference between using the 7pin vs 5pin when connecting the F1 internally? Aren't both i2s? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back