Audio-GD Master 9
Sep 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #496 of 2,626
  thanks for letting us know this, was about to send them enquiry
fortunately, i got some help from local service who has been making great ics for years, after some research he agreed to help me make 1 custom pair acss using silverplated ofhc cable and neutrik connector
now only need to keep playing waiting game till the combo arrive :))

Will you also by one Audio GDs ACSS to compeer with?

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #498 of 2,626
Hi,

I recently got Master 7 & 9 paired with HD800. Listened for 60 hours and not satisfied with the bass. Will it really improve after 200-300 hours more?

Even though the mid- and treble range sound far better than HD650, I prefer the sound from it currently (Cardas). I also prefer the bass from Etymotic ER-4S more.

Btw, does anybody else hearing glitches and loss of sound when the cable is turned or moved the slightest on the 1/4 inch phono jacket on Master 9?

Master 7 & 9 connected with Audio-gd ACSS cables, DI-2014 to Master 7 with I2S cable from Audio-gd. Nordost Blue Heaven LS Digital cable to Pro-Ject CD BOX RS. HD800 with Cardas Clear XLR.

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #499 of 2,626
Hi,

I recently got Master 7 & 9 paired with HD800. Listened for 60 hours and not satisfied with the bass. Will it really improve after 200-300 hours more?

Even though the mid- and treble range sound far better than HD650, I prefer the sound from it currently (Cardas). I also prefer the bass from Etymotic ER-4S more.

Btw, does anybody else hearing glitches and loss of sound when the cable is turned or moved the slightest on the 1/4 inch phono jacket on Master 9?

Master 7 & 9 connected with Audio-gd ACSS cables, DI-2014 to Master 7 with I2S cable from Audio-gd. Nordost Blue Heaven LS Digital cable to Pro-Ject CD BOX RS. HD800 with Cardas Clear XLR.
is it a matter of getting more bass from the HD800 or the bass is not taut/detailed enough? I had some success in elevating bass presence and clarity with my rig by upgrading power cables.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #500 of 2,626
  Hi,

Welcome to Head-fi!

I haven’t experienced any glitches and loss of sound when slightly moving the headphone cable.

I don’t think you should expect a drastic change in bass from burning in the Master 7 and 9 more (AGD burn them in for 300 hour). How long burn in time the DI-2014 and HD800 need I don’t know.

Have you tried the HD800 on any other dacs and amps and got better bass?

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #501 of 2,626
  Hi,

The Master-7 and Master-9 won't change much at all because they already burn them in for 300 hours. Though the DI-2014 may change with burn in (they burn them in only 100 hours), at least I have that impression using it during the last week, I must have used them for adicional 50 hours, my impression is that the bass is getting better, the sub-bass is more prominent, though it doesn't have much slam, I had the same problem as you at first, now it isn't that much of a problem. Maybe changing the i2s cable will do something, choosing a cable that's like 2 inches long  instead of 12, kingwa indicated that it was a test cable. 

Keep on burning it in during 100 adicional hours and I think it may get better.

PD: I use them with Audeze LCD-3F, I have Master-8 not Master-9.

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #502 of 2,626
I can't comment on the Master 7 or HD800, but you should really give the balanced head out a shot. To me the the difference between balanced and SE on the M9 is night and day. Everything just seems bigger... maybe it would help with your situation.

Also, i don't have any noise issues with the the HP jacks.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #503 of 2,626
  I can't comment on the Master 7 or HD800, but you should really give the balanced head out a shot. To me the the difference between balanced and SE on the M9 is night and day. Everything just seems bigger... maybe it would help with your situation.

Also, i don't have any noise issues with the the HP jacks.

+1 on the balanced HP out (using a balanced DAC , I have not tried a SE DAC). The M9 gives one of the the best bass that I have heard on the HD 800 (Dac is NFB 7).

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #504 of 2,626
I'm not running a balanced DAC and still the sonic improvements using the Balanced out are huge.

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #505 of 2,626
  +1 on the balanced HP out (using a balanced DAC , I have not tried a SE DAC). The M9 gives one of the the best bass that I have heard on the HD 800 (Dac is NFB 7).

+ 1 with Master-6 & NFB-7 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #506 of 2,626
Thanks for the answers and tips.

Regarding the glitches:

Kingwa replied saying Neutrik brand phone jackets are like that. I am just wondering if it is due to some bad connection/soldering. I also get glitches and loss of sound when I plug/unplug XLR connectors while I am listening to HD650 using the phone jacket.

I am using the balanded output together with HD800 connected to Cardas Clear XLR cable.

I listened earlier to HDVD800 and Oppo HA-1 with built-in DAC:s and connected to Hegel HD12. I think Hegel with HDVD800 sounded best in the bass area but I was still hoping for something better and went for Audio-gd after reading the reviews.

I've read I also should give HD800 some time, more than the 60 hours I've used it so far?

Currently I am thinking of getting WA22 with all the upgrades to see what tubes would do as I like the sound from Musical Fidelity X-Can V3.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #507 of 2,626
  Currently I am thinking of getting WA22 with all the upgrades to see what tubes would do as I like the sound from Musical Fidelity X-Can V3.

I have WA22 with all & more of the tube upgrades. IMHO It is not better than M9, just a bit different presentation. If you are some one who likes to keep tinkering / fiddling , then tubes will let you subtly alter the sound with different combinations. But IMO overall SQ of WA22 is not better than M9.

Edit : forgot to add ,  WA22 (with the right upgrades ) has bass which is not better than M9 bass (I actually prefer M9 bass more). So if you find M9 bass lacking for HD 800 stay away from WA22. WA22 has better mid-range & slightly bigger soundstage (with the right tubes ofcourse)

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #508 of 2,626
  Thanks for the answers and tips.

Regarding the glitches:

Kingwa replied saying Neutrik brand phone jackets are like that. I am just wondering if it is due to some bad connection/soldering. I also get glitches and loss of sound when I plug/unplug XLR connectors while I am listening to HD650 using the phone jacket.

I am using the balanded output together with HD800 connected to Cardas Clear XLR cable.

I listened earlier to HDVD800 and Oppo HA-1 with built-in DAC:s and connected to Hegel HD12. I think Hegel with HDVD800 sounded best in the bass area but I was still hoping for something better and went for Audio-gd after reading the reviews.

I've read I also should give HD800 some time, more than the 60 hours I've used it so far?

I never plug/unplug the connectors while I am listening and don’t think it’s the right way to do it.

I have had a Hegel HD 20 and AP+PP and the bass is less blurry than on the M7 when using the USB input. With Offramp it gets clearly better, but still my (now sold) Hegel HD 20 and AP+PP where hitting a little harder and faster in the bass. I have add a PSU (Teddy Pardo) to the Offramp 5 and it improve on overall clarity and dynamic, bass impact etc., so now the bass is in fact a bit better =)

I would say that the Hegel HD 20 with AP+PP is very musical with good technicality and that the Master 7 with Offramp 5 (i2s) is as musical but with superior technicality.

I bought a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 in 2006, after reading all the hype. I didn’t liked it then and still don’t (I even changed the tubes btw). It sound way too murky for me. The Master 9 is IMO so much better than the X-Can V3 it’s like compeering an iPod classic to a good dedicated dac like the Master 7/Hegel HD20. Obviously they can all reproduce music - just not as good.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #509 of 2,626
I never plug/unplug the connectors while I am listening and don’t think it’s the right way to do it.

I have had a Hegel HD 20 and AP+PP and the bass is less blurry than on the M7 when using the USB input. With Offramp it gets clearly better, but still my (now sold) Hegel HD 20 and AP+PP where hitting a little harder and faster in the bass. I have add a PSU (Teddy Pardo) to the Offramp 5 and it improve on overall clarity and dynamic, bass impact etc., so now the bass is in fact a bit better =)

I would say that the Hegel HD 20 with AP+PP is very musical with good technicality and that the Master 7 with Offramp 5 (i2s) is as musical but with superior technicality.

I bought a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 in 2006, after reading all the hype. I didn’t liked it then and still don’t (I even changed the tubes btw). It sound way too murky for me. The Master 9 is IMO so much better than the X-Can V3 it’s like compeering an iPod classic to a good dedicated dac like the Master 7/Hegel HD20. Obviously they can all reproduce music - just not as good.

Haha I was just about to say "actually they do have an HD12" but I see you already updated your post.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #510 of 2,626
Haha I was just about to say "actually they do have an HD12" but I see you already updated your post.

Yes I was faster this time
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back