Audio-GD Master 9
Jun 12, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #376 of 2,624
Thank you guys for your input. I have taken it out of ag500 since the second day I got M9. It wasn't a good match for M9, it took away some of the dynamics. 

I am doing some tests right now, and I've just discovered that some of the energy and impact came back with a copper interconnect. ( I had the kilmber cable silver streak rca before). It might not like the silver interconnect too much. 

Btw what volume do you guys use with your headphones (with lcd3 for example, or hd800 if anybody has it) ?

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #377 of 2,624
  I find M9 to be more laid back than Soloist, and the bass even if deeper on M9(single ended output for now), not as punchy as with soloist. 

Indeed M9 is a lot cleaner, more transparent and with more details, but sometimes too laid back. Still burning it in.

There is really a huge difference betwen the SE output and the balanced output, going balanced - since it is a balanced design - makes things a lot more punchy, tight and etc.etc. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #378 of 2,624
  Thank you guys for your input. I have taken it out of ag500 since the second day I got M9. It wasn't a good match for M9, it took away some of the dynamics. 

I am doing some tests right now, and I've just discovered that some of the energy and impact came back with a copper interconnect. ( I had the kilmber cable silver streak rca before). It might not like the silver interconnect too much. 

Btw what volume do you guys use with your headphones (with lcd3 for example, or hd800 if anybody has it) ?

I normally use 17 - 25 out of  70 with the HD800's and 20 - 30 with my LCD2.2's except on a few lower level CD's.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #379 of 2,624

There is a quit a difference between the SE input/output and the balanced input/output and also depending on the output on different dacs. With lcd 3 – Master 7 ACSS I have the volume around 38-42 on modern recording - when listening pretty loud. With the Hegel HD20 +M9 low gain and balanced, but with lower output (2,5 v) I played at closer to 50, the same with HE 500 SE.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #381 of 2,624
Hmm that is very interesting. I also have LCD-X which has a toxic silver widow balanced cable. I use 50-60  volume for it on balanced output. With HD800 I tend to go to 70-80 on single ended. ( High gain in all cases)

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #382 of 2,624
  Hmm that is very interesting. I also have LCD-X which has a toxic silver widow balanced cable. I use 50-60  volume for it on balanced output. With HD800 I tend to go to 70-80 on single ended. ( High gain in all cases)

why don't you get mini-xlr to HD 800 adapter from Frank & then you can use balanced toxic cables with HD 800. I use balanced Silver Poison with HD 800.

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #383 of 2,624

why don't you get mini-xlr to HD 800 adapter from Frank & then you can use balanced toxic cables with HD 800. I use balanced Silver Poison with HD 800.

You have mini xlr adapters ??? I've been looking for something like this for a while now :)) NICE!! I asked him once but he was busy and then I forgot to ask him again!

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #384 of 2,624
Quote:

If you have only the HD 800 then I would suggest go for a good tube amp (WA2 / WA22 / Stratus / WA5 / etc.) to get the best out of them.

Nothing is black & white, HD800 can sound top notch even with a solid state amp. Its all about personal preferences and overall system synergy. There is a great point in InnerFidelity review of Auralic Taurus, which can apply to other top level solid state amps like M9 and GS-X MKII.

I agree.  I don't agree with the HD800 needs a tube amp to get the best out of it BS..   

Well after some burn in & going balanced today with M9 - HD 800 I have changed my mind. You guys were right. I can live with this combination very happily. ON WA22 Sound stage is larger & mids have more weight , whereas M9 has more speed & is more dynamic. Good thing I don't have to choose
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #385 of 2,624
  You have mini xlr adapters ??? I've been looking for something like this for a while now :)) NICE!! I asked him once but he was busy and then I forgot to ask him again!

I have ordered the reverse (HD 800 plugs to mini XLR adapter) so that I can use HD 800 cable with  my Beyer T1, as it has been modded with Mini XLR plugs, should be getting in in 2 weeks.

BTW I already have HD 800 to mini XLR adapters for my DHC cable. This is what you need dan.gheorghe

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #386 of 2,624
  Never listened to m6/m8. However, I am comparing it to Decware Taboo MK3(tube amp) and Burson Conductor. Even if not in the same league with m9 in terms of transparency and details, both Taboo and Soloist are more energetic, with more attack in the sound. However, I am still burning in M9. It has ~100H for now. 

Did anybody try the single ended output vs the balanced one? 

I found the M-9 to to have the faster attack of the two. I do run my amp balanced though with the M-9
Im at a volume of 50 with my XCs and 68 with my HE-6 running through the Yulong DA-08 DAC

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #387 of 2,624
You seemed to indicate in many posts that the M9 HE-6 duo was something really special.   Are you saying the M9 LCD-X is better- or is it just your current favorite but when your mood changes you may say the HE-6 is your favorite?

The M9 is great with the HE6 and the LCD X. I wouldn't have a problem if I could only live with only one of them. I find myself picking the LCD X much more often. I think I liked the HE6 better than the X when I was using the stock cable on the X. Since getting the DHC Complement 2 cable for the X, it has become my go to headphone. It just comes down to preferences. Someone else could easily pick the HE6.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #388 of 2,624
Ok, M9 did not like my Silver Streak Kimber cable. (tried with some other interconnects)  Indeed, with LCD-X on balanced there is no competition between soloist and m9 in any department, transparency, attack, details, etc. Must get a balanced cable for HD800 and fast :p

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #390 of 2,624
  My HD 800 stock cable has been modded for balanced operation. I don't use it as I have 3 other balanced cables. PM me your address, I will mail it to you. You can use it till you get your Toxic adapters or any other balanced cables.

I really appreciate it. Thank you for your generosity. However, I'm going to place an order soon on an occ copper cable soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back