Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Oct 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #526 of 878
  Lol I have the same problem, just tried the remote now, it doesn't work, though I don't care that much, it sounds terrific.

Have you tried changing battery?

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #527 of 878
I will soon.

Has anyone tried to change the power modes?   I changed it and didn't notice any difference in volume with my Audeze LCD-3. So I was wondering if the following image is swapped or if it's swapped in my unit. ¿Does the gain switch do something when you're connected by ACSS? If it's doesn't then it would logic to expect the switches are swapped.

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #528 of 878
There is no gain in ACSS except for the volume control AFAIK. Gain switches are for XLR and RCA connections.

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #530 of 878
I can't tell how the switches are done because I have the Master 6.

Can't say if LCD-3 benefit from the extra power. You'll have to test and hear for yourself. Low power should be enough considering it's sensitivity, but I haven't tried it myself.

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #531 of 878
  I will soon.

Has anyone tried to change the power modes?   I changed it and didn't notice any difference in volume with my Audeze LCD-3. So I was wondering if the following image is swapped or if it's swapped in my unit. ¿Does the gain switch do something when you're connected by ACSS? If it's doesn't then it would logic to expect the switches are swapped.

So the switches are inverted I see, thanks. ¿Does the LCD-3 sound better on high power mode?

The switch labels on the photo are correct.  Measuring with a Beyer T1, I get a 7dB bump on the XLR inputs moving from Low to High gain.

Haven't measured the power output changes but moving from low to high power (even after the obligatory 10 second shut down) causes the amp to shut down using some cheap 45 ohm phones
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #534 of 878
I can't tell how the switches are done because I have the Master 6.

Can't say if LCD-3 benefit from the extra power. You'll have to test and hear for yourself. Low power should be enough considering it's sensitivity, but I haven't tried it myself.

Well Master 6 would be a Master 8 on high power right?

What volume do you use  for loud listening with the LCD-2?

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #535 of 878
Yes, basically a Master 6 is a Master 8 on high gain AFAIK.

I don't think it will help you to know what volume setting I use with LCD-2 for loud listening since it varies quite a lot from album to album. Also from listener to listener it will vary quite a lot: Some may find 80dB loud and others will think it's normal and that it should be 90-95dB to be loud. Sorry I can't help you there.

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #536 of 878
that's too bad :s.  Don't confuse high gain with high power it's a different thing, there are both switches for gain and for power on the Master 8. In the tests I have made, neither switches affect the volume I get from my LCD-3, so I'm not sure if the power switch is even working.

I was asking what volume is loud for you on the Master 6 in the 0-70 scale

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #537 of 878
You could simply check it by testing SPL at a very high volume setting and see if there's a difference with high and low power settings. Don't put the headphones on - just listen from a distance - or you might damage your hearing.

(You are right: I meant high power, not high gain.)

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #539 of 878
  I will soon.

There is no gain in ACSS except for the volume control AFAIK. Gain switches are for XLR and RCA connections.

To make sure you're clear, if you are connecting your DAC to the amp via the ACSS connections the gain switch will NOT effect your volume output.  Lars HP is correct on this: the gain switch ONLY affects sources coming in via XLR and RCA.  The switch is useful primarily if your source is providing a very low voltage signal for some reason.

The power should not affect volume, just provide more power for the phones to draw.  I'm not sure what phones would need the higher power, would like to learn more about that myself.

Your final volume setting in the m8 will depend on multiple things including the phones, the gain setting, the DAC output volume, the source media volume, etc.  Depending on how I output from my DAC I can get the same dB output levels by setting the m8 at "65" or at "8".    So knowing what someone else's final volume level is doesn't tell you much about your own setup.

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #540 of 878
I have a test (sonic generations on steam really sounds low) where I can put 70/70 and I have it on high power, it still sounds louder from my NFB-6 at max volume. I don't really get it maybe someone else could enlighten us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back