Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Oct 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #511 of 878

Thead revival.

Anyone compared the gsx mkii to the M5/6/8 yet?

-Daniel

I have a master 8 on the way in, hope to compare it with Dubstep Girl's Mk2 at the Chicago meet next month.  Otherwise I'm on the waiting list for a Mk2 from the current batch but there's no estimated delivery date for that.

On a related note, question for any current or former Master 5/6/8 owners:  the a-gd site states the units "undergo more than 100 hours of burn-in".  Given that, is there any benefit to additional burn in once I get the unit?  Can I skip it?  Any opinions from personal experience out there?

Would really be interested to hear your thoughts. If you can post in this thread please?

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #513 of 878
Make that 400, playing music yes, the major changes happen before that ofcourse.   Wait... ¿Is this whole week a holiday in China?  BAW, guess I'll have to wait more time for recieving it.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #515 of 878

Would really be interested to hear your thoughts. If you can post in this thread please?

Will post.  Hopefully the GS-X will ship soon (this year?) so I can get time for a more in depth comparison.

Make that 400, playing music yes, the major changes happen before that ofcourse.   Wait... ¿Is this whole week a holiday in China?  BAW, guess I'll have to wait more time for recieving it.

Wow, 400 hours?  I'm afraid the house will burn down if I leave the thing running for 17 days straight! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mine was shipped Monday last week.  Anyone know DHL shipping times HK to the USA (Chicago) ?  I don't have a tracking number.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #516 of 878

I have a master 8 on the way in, hope to compare it with Dubstep Girl's Mk2 at the Chicago meet next month.  Otherwise I'm on the waiting list for a Mk2 from the current batch but there's no estimated delivery date for that.

On a related note, question for any current or former Master 5/6/8 owners:  the a-gd site states the units "undergo more than 100 hours of burn-in".  Given that, is there any benefit to additional burn in once I get the unit?  Can I skip it?  Any opinions from personal experience out there?

I owned the M5. I would recommend 100+ hrs also. As mentioned there are so many parts in this beast, especially in the psu that would benefit from burn in imo. The first 50hrs will do the majority of it though.
Great purchase btw - stunning amp & pre amp. My monitors never sounded so good as through the m5 preamp.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #517 of 878
Wow, 400 hours?  I'm afraid the house will burn down if I leave the thing running for 17 days straight! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mine was shipped Monday last week.  Anyone know DHL shipping times HK to the USA (Chicago) ?  I don't have a tracking number.

Send a email to Kingwa asking for your tracking number, I've bought things before and it has taken less than 5 days to arrive at my country. So you should send that mail.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #518 of 878
I just heard from back from Grace there.  Apparently the amp was not shipped on Monday before the holiday, which frankly disappoints me a little because an earlier email from them assured me that it was.   Now Hong Kong customs is backed up due to the post-holiday influx so DHL is backed up, too.

So, they shipped it yesterday via TNT and I now have a tracking number but no scheduled delivery date.  Perhaps it will show up after it clears US customs.

The sweet joy of anticipation continues. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #519 of 878
Master 8 is now at 66 hours of burn in, about time to start listening.

The unit came with a remote control and also with another set of internal electronics for the remote, packed in bubble wrap.  The finished remote didn't work but the separate set of electronics did, so i just swapped out the electronics in the chassis.

I haven't seen this from a manufacturer before.  Anyone know if this is supposed to be a quality control thing, or do they use multiple sets of IR receivers and just throw in both transmitters?

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #520 of 878
I also got extra knobs and dials for my Ref. 7.1 DAC, that I haven't had any use for. So I expect they put extra components if something should be harmed during transport.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #521 of 878
  Master 8 is now at 66 hours of burn in, about time to start listening.

The unit came with a remote control and also with another set of internal electronics for the remote, packed in bubble wrap.  The finished remote didn't work but the separate set of electronics did, so i just swapped out the electronics in the chassis.

I haven't seen this from a manufacturer before.  Anyone know if this is supposed to be a quality control thing, or do they use multiple sets of IR receivers and just throw in both transmitters?

I faced the same issue when I got mine 7 months ago. If the remote only works solely for the amplifier, I don't understand why they should use multiple sets of IR, and in any way, it should definitely work for the set they send the remote together with. On top of that, the remote cover with the replacement electronic did not cover well, resulting in a small bulge and caused a little discomfort when holding the remote. While the amp is supposed to be value for money, the remote control just felt too DIY to me.

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #522 of 878
Is this the same remote?

Its certainly not elegant but I kind of like its "I can control your amp or chock your tires, all the same to me" rugged spirit. 
biggrin.gif

Seems to work fine once the parts were swapped out.  I presume that in the case of the remote it's more cost effective to waste a percentage of boards that cost a few cents than it is to source and QC higher grade electronics.  I also presume this would not apply to the amplifier itself, seeing as warranty shipping costs would kill them.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #523 of 878
Just want to say, I have never gotten a faulty remote of any electonic device ever in my life before regardless of the price of that device, so i don't buy that cost-effective theory at all. Seriously, how long will it take or how much will it cost for Audio-gd to just test out the remote to make sure it works? Something that will probably take them a few minutes to settle, in the end cost me half an hour to figure out and fix the issue. I seriously hope they have much better customer service when it comes to servicing the amplifier.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #525 of 878
Just want to say, I have never gotten a faulty remote of any electonic device ever in my life before regardless of the price of that device, so i don't buy that cost-effective theory at all. Seriously, how long will it take or how much will it cost for Audio-gd to just test out the remote to make sure it works? Something that will probably take them a few minutes to settle, in the end cost me half an hour to figure out and fix the issue. I seriously hope they have much better customer service when it comes to servicing the amplifier.

Well, I have certainly received faulty electronic equipment before. Too often for comfort actually.  But I agree that shipping a non-functioning remote along with a replacement piece already in the box is a strange and somewhat disconcerting business practice. Which is why I posted originally.
rolleyes.gif

End of the day, I have a functioning amp and remote at a comparatively good price. And since Kingwa has a good reputation around here for service and quality I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back