Audio-gd Digital Interface
Mar 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,742 of 4,156
I found out what the culprit was. Balance setting was set all the way to the left for some reason in output settings on my macbook. USB works fine and everything is all good now. 
tongue_smile.gif

I got to say though with just a couple hours with this device I'm already quite impressed. I think it depends on the recording, but Norah Jones sounds especially good upsampled to 96khz. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This really should be called a "pre-dac filter" of some sort. This has become a very important component in my system and without doubt one of the best audio purchases I ever made. The difference is not subtle as I expected, but a very audible improvement.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #1,743 of 4,156
I found my culprit as well.  It's the LCD2, or more specifically it appears to be a bad cable :frowning2:

*edit* definitely appears to be a cold solder joint in the LCD2 cable!  Will see if Audeze can do a swap for me otherwise may have to break out the trusty old iron.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #1,744 of 4,156

Quote:

Just came across this little write-up while i was doing some research on this awesome product i bought a while ago as my portable solution for now and thought it might be interesting especially to those who are somewhat disappointed that asynchronous USB transfer isn't implemented in the Audio-GD range.

The product in question is the DACport and information is extracted directly from www.centrance.com. The makers of the DACPort are credible members of the hifi community and have licensed their USB implementations know-how to many prominent high-end audio manufacturers. 

So in the same fashion as people are only/more concerned with the actual DAC chip used and not actual onboard implementation of the DAC as a whole, people who feel they might be missing out just because their DACs are implemented with asynchronous USB transfer should rethink their stand.

P.S. somestranger26: Great to see you're really enjoying the Audio-GD products. I've been reading that you've been enjoying the NFB10 with the HE-6s? Oh well, what could have been!

I've owned gear that uses licensed technology from this firm. I have to say that it was cheep scrap with bonked driver that needed surgery to install on windows system.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #1,745 of 4,156

Quote:

I've owned gear that uses licensed technology from this firm. I have to say that it was cheep scrap with bonked driver that needed surgery to install on windows system.

That's the first time i've heard about any such case. My DACport has worked flawlessly on my Mac tho. Mind disclosing what product exactly did you buy from which of the licensed manufacturer that gave you such problems? 

Please do send me a PM if it's inconvenient for open disclosure.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #1,747 of 4,156

Just got my version b DI + power supply, after few hours of AB test with my 2010 Mac mini's optical out, I have to say I'm a little disappointed, but in the mean time relieved. I'm disappointed because I can't hear any difference between optical and DI with BNC coax, I'm relieved because now I know my mini has a decent optical out. So for those who use new Mac mini, keep it simple, stick with optical, you don't need a USB/SPDIF convertor.

PS: my DAC/amp is Audio-gd NFB-10ES, my headphone is HD650 with balanced cable.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #1,749 of 4,156
Quote:
Just got my version b DI + power supply, after few hours of AB test with my 2010 Mac mini's optical out, I have to say I'm a little disappointed, but in the mean time relieved. I'm disappointed because I can't hear any difference between optical and DI with BNC coax, I'm relieved because now I know my mini has a decent optical out. So for those who use new Mac mini, keep it simple, stick with optical, you don't need a USB/SPDIF convertor.

And how old is your NFB-10ES? It needs 300+ hours of burn-in, and the DI needs a fair bit too. Be patient.

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #1,750 of 4,156

Quote:

You're in good company.  There was a case where another fellow had a similar Audio GD product and wasn't able to distinguish between the battery operated HiFace and the optical out of his mac book. 

On the other hand, it is good to have a good usb converter around for laptops, netbooks or computers that don't have optical or coaxial from the mb.

Regarding "burn in"......  it's a controversial topic.  I have never experienced any noticeable form of "burn in" (except maybe in headphones where there are actually moving parts).  Further discussions of this subject can be found in the Sound Science forum.

USG

As an interesting experiment, why not make some recordings from the output of your headphone amp now, and compare them to recordings of the same material at the same output level after a few hundred hours and see if you can hear a difference.  It would help substantiate that "burn in" has actually occurred.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #1,751 of 4,156
Although I2S doesn't have the problems of SPDIF as regards the clock being embedded with the data & it's recovery, it has as many issues as SPDIF (If not more) with regard to cables such as impedance issues & length of cable, etc. So sometimes it's just a different can of worms. =(

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #1,752 of 4,156

Quote:
Because if you set it to 24/96 and you're not bypassing the windows mixer with something like WASAPI, it will upsample everything to 24/96 before being output.

I have tried both and the 24/96 setting (vs default) in Windows is a little less noisy and has a little less etch to the sound. It's subtle. I don't know or care why.

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,753 of 4,156
Agree - there is a subtle difference.  I'm using a non-oversampling DAC so that I can hear EXACTLY what the DI upsampling algorith is doing, and it is not a lot.  On that basis, I'd suggest to anyone that it is best to change this link in any audio chain LAST.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #1,754 of 4,156
Your interest might suggest you have interest with this company? Line6 are the company we struggled more than a year with before we kicking all they're products out of the 'studio'.

Quote:
That's the first time i've heard about any such case. My DACport has worked flawlessly on my Mac tho. Mind disclosing what product exactly did you buy from which of the licensed manufacturer that gave you such problems?

Please do send me a PM if it's inconvenient for open disclosure.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #1,755 of 4,156

Quote:
Your interest might suggest you have interest with this company? Line6 are the company we struggled more than a year with before we kicking all they're products out of the 'studio'.

I've no interest in CEntrance other than being a great fan of their products so far and in that respect, i surely ain't the only one in this forum. 

Did you mean to say the products by Line6 which were using licensed technology from CEntrance did not leave up to expectations and that you had to junk them from the studio?

Just googled the collaboration between the 2 companies and i do see that they might have worked together on the Line6 pocketPOD and to be honest, without having a first hand experience with said product, i'm hesitant to condemn CEntrance just because they might have worked on a product that you felt failed to live up to expectations.

On the other hand tho, i can assure you i really am enjoying the CEntance DACport. It does exactly what it says it would do and customer service has been nothing short of outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back