Audio-gd Digital Interface
Mar 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,726 of 4,156

Quote:
Does the tranport have to be async for the signal to be bit perfect? I thought that we only speak about bit perfect when the signal leaves computer (WASAPI, Kernel Streaming and other output methods).

bitperfect is just concerned with the signal, while asynch is concerned with the timing of it. as far as i understand it, one isn't required for the other. they are just two halves of a whole.

i'm assuming the main goal of outputting a bitperfect signal from the computer is so that the DAC will receive the complete, original signal (all the bits). whether the converter allows the pass through of a bitperfect stream, or alters it along the way, is the question i'm curious about.

Quote:
Well then I suppose you're missing everyone's opinion that the digital interface is an improvement over most other spdif converters and is not causing people to "experience any loss or degradation of the signal in the process." I provided the HDCD and DTS examples because those are things that won't work with the DI because it isn't "bit perfect."

and i suppose you're missing the point of what "bitperfect" means. it has nothing to do with "everyone's opinion" about "improvements." it's an objective, measurable, technical feature.

Quote:
When I sent email to Kingwa in Jan, he said the only device with USB from AGD using asynchronous process is DI. None of the DAC with USB has async.

hopefully that clears things up, though it would be nice if he chimed in here to confirm and/or explain.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #1,727 of 4,156
You seem to be the one that doesn't get it, Phaedrus. I am perfectly aware of what bit-perfect means.

The whole point of buying the digital interface is to improve sound quality, and you're wondering why nobody is complaining about the lack of bitperfect. It's because it sounds better than simply using the usb input on a dac with a bitperfect output from your computer, so bitperfect truly means nothing unless you need to pass through something like DTS or HDCD.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #1,729 of 4,156
Quote:

Don't ask a question if you are going to be an ass to those trying to answer.

Quote:
i'm assuming the main goal of outputting a bitperfect signal from the computer is so that the DAC will receive the complete, original signal (all the bits). whether the converter allows the pass through of a bitperfect stream, or alters it along the way, is the question i'm curious about.

I already answered your question.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #1,730 of 4,156

Quote:
Don't ask a question if you are going to act be an ass to those trying to answer.

I already answered your question.

Just came across this little write-up while i was doing some research on this awesome product i bought a while ago as my portable solution for now and thought it might be interesting especially to those who are somewhat disappointed that asynchronous USB transfer isn't implemented in the Audio-GD range.

The product in question is the DACport and information is extracted directly from www.centrance.com. The makers of the DACPort are credible members of the hifi community and have licensed their USB implementations know-how to many prominent high-end audio manufacturers. 

So in the same fashion as people are only/more concerned with the actual DAC chip used and not actual onboard implementation of the DAC as a whole, people who feel they might be missing out just because their DACs are implemented with asynchronous USB transfer should rethink their stand.

P.S. somestranger26: Great to see you're really enjoying the Audio-GD products. I've been reading that you've been enjoying the NFB10 with the HE-6s? Oh well, what could have been!

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #1,732 of 4,156
I received Russ Andrews A/C link connection cable between the PSU and DI today. It works and it's much thicker and higher quality than the stock cable, which I'm afraid of even touch because it seems so fragile. I haven't compared the sound quality but maybe I will later on. It also seems to connect better, meaning that it won't rock at all in the sockets.

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1807&customer_id=PAA2170038411137UHNXSUFKELTKFKZS

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #1,733 of 4,156
Frustration!  I got my lcd2's recently and I bring them to the office and I'm only getting one channel playback.  I'm not sure why but I suspect the digital interface is at fault :frowning2: of course I don't have other gear or cables to test with.

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,734 of 4,156
Quote:
Frustration!  I got my lcd2's recently and I bring them to the office and I'm only getting one channel playback.  I'm not sure why but I suspect the digital interface is at fault :frowning2: of course I don't have other gear or cables to test with.

I highly doubt it is the digital interface. I don't understand why you're blaming it without doing any testing.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #1,735 of 4,156
I am also having the same problem with only one channel playback using usb input, haven't tried coax yet.

Also, does anyone know the difference between the 24.576 mhz vs 80 mhz clock? Mines have the 24.576 mhz, but I specifically said I'll be using it with the NFB-10ES. 

I'm kind of pissed and they could have at least provided some jumpers for the digital interface.

edit: coax does work fine. waiting for reply from them to hopefully get this straightened out. 

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,736 of 4,156
The 24mhz clock is for the DI, 80mhz for the NFB-10ES, not interchangeable. Did you want the 80mhz clock for use in a NFB-10? Because it wouldn't work in the DI. Audio-gd sent me way too many jumpers lol, give me an address and I'll mail you some jumpers.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,737 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:

I highly doubt it is the digital interface. I don't understand why you're blaming it without doing any testing.

I'm not trying to slam the DI or Audio GD.  I also can't do any testing because I'm at the office away from my beautiful cache of cables, adapters, and other such gear.  I am suspicious of the DI because the other components in my chain are pretty rock solid peices but you're right I don't know yet and it's bugging me.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #1,738 of 4,156

Quote:
The 24mhz clock is for the DI, 80mhz for the NFB-10ES, not interchangeable. Did you want the 80mhz clock for use in a NFB-10? Because it wouldn't work in the DI. Audio-gd sent me way too many jumpers lol, give me an address and I'll mail you some jumpers.

I see...so we're talking about 2 different clock upgrades here. That makes sense now, thanks. 

It does sound quite nice out of the box using coax though...just wished that usb would work also. 

edit: I take that back, they did give me jumpers, hidden in one of the bags somewhere. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,739 of 4,156
After a weekend of burning in the DI, I've put the jumpers in on the upgraded clock and got it going at 24/96 - left it for 10 or so hours yesterday and all I can say today is "wow!".  It's a huge difference over the stock (non-upsampling) mode.  The volume level seems slightly quieter & the sound is marginally recessed, but the evenness across the sound spectrum and accuracy of the details are fantastic!!

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,740 of 4,156

Users who are viewing this thread

Back