Audio-gd DACs: DSP1 revisions make a big difference. Characteristics, new revisions, how to switch between revisions and settings
Feb 22, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #16 of 48

Quote:
I am buying the V5 instead of upgrading from V3 as I only have 1 dac , can't afford to have down time.
how much you want to pay for the V3 lol

Furyagain

I see you have the RocSA and the Ref5 too.

I found these cutting boards to use as platforms they are the perfect size.

Sheesham Cutting Board, 12 by 16-Inch

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #17 of 48

Quote:
Dynobot said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will be getting a v5 soon for my Ref5 which now has a v3.

Besides the jumpers are the DSP's otherwise the same physically...???  Is it just the programming that makes them different???

No idea what the technical difference is. I will compare them visually and and with regards to the sound. According to different comments, it seems that something makes some of them sound quite differently. It appears that from V2 to V3 it was quite an enhancement. From V3 to V4 the difference seem to be tiny. From V4 to V5 there seems to be a clearly audible difference towards a more analytical and precise, but less involving sound signature.

However, not everybody agrees that the higher the version, the better the sound... That's why I will test out a V3, comparing it to my V5. I'll let you know about my findings.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #18 of 48
The differences come down to the digital filter micro code programming....new & improved algorithms IIRC being the major factor for the V5's result along with dumping the DIP switch banks for jumper pins (can't hurt to look at everything on the board and rethink the smaller details).

Peete.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #19 of 48
ok, I'm looking at the Audio-gd site and don't even see the Ref DAC 1 on there, much less where to buy the upgrade for it.  Can anyone post a link to this, or should I just email Kingwa about this?

Mar 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #20 of 48

Quote:
ok, I'm looking at the Audio-gd site and don't even see the Ref DAC 1 on there, much less where to buy the upgrade for it.  Can anyone post a link to this, or should I just email Kingwa about this?

The REF1 DAC has already make way for the REF7, which in turn has a new revision this year in the REF 7.1. All of the mentioned DACs uses the DSP1.  Current DSP1 is revision5. If you just need the current DSP1 just email them, they should reply you shortly on the cost. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #21 of 48
My RE-1 is around 2 years old and I'm not sure whether it's a V2 or V3.  According to an audio-gd email, my RE-3 digital interface is a dsp-3 V3 which was purchased last April.  I'm upgrading both modules to V5 and it cost $150 per module + $24 DHL shipping fee + pp fees.  Pricey but if I do not like the sound,  I still have my old module to fall back on.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 48

Quote:
My RE-1 is around 2 years old and I'm not sure whether it's a V2 or V3.  According to an audio-gd email, my RE-3 digital interface is a dsp-3 V3 which was purchased last April.  I'm upgrading both modules to V5 and it cost $150 per module + $24 DHL shipping fee + pp fees.  Pricey but if I do not like the sound,  I still have my old module to fall back on.

Resale of the 2 - V5 DSP1's should be quick if you do not like the changes.

Peete.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #23 of 48
So my new dps-1 V5 and dsp-3 V5 with txco 24.576mhz came in today.  I've noticed that both modules don't come with the dip switch unit installed.  Also, the clock looks different from the txco clock shown on audio-gd's website.  I asked for a tcxo clock and they've sent me a generic brand?  Looks exactly the same as my old clock on my old dsp-3.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #24 of 48
Huh? Kingwa put out a newer revision of the DSP3?

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 48
Jumpers provide better contacts to the headers than dip switches.  You'll have to ask Kingwa about the oscillator.

Of note:  I discovered that the right channel RCA jack on my RE7 is wired with reverse polarity thus causing the signal to be out of phase.  This should be double checked in the future by whoever is doing quality control at Audio-gd.  I had never noticed this before now since I had never tried the RCA outputs; I only now tried them when testing out my amp.  Fortunately the person I am selling it to only plans to use the ACSS and XLR outputs, and if he chooses to use the RCA outputs he can remove the top panel and re-solder the wires going to the jack.

Hopefully I'll have the RE7.1 here within the next few weeks and can then give my impressions.  AUDIO-GD:  Please make sure all the jacks are wired with proper polarity.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #26 of 48

Quote:
So my new dps-1 V5 and dsp-3 V5 with txco 24.576mhz came in today.  I've noticed that both modules don't come with the dip switch unit installed.  Also, the clock looks different from the txco clock shown on audio-gd's website.  I asked for a tcxo clock and they've sent me a generic brand?  Looks exactly the same as my old clock on my old dsp-3.

I believed the dip switches are the older vesions DSP1 and DSP3 before august last year. Current versions are using jumper links instead. The pictures on the webpage are for show only,they look different in the actual unit but you have better check with AGD if they sent you the similar old clock.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #27 of 48
I believe so.  I've purchased my Reference-3 back in April of 2010 and Edwin of Audio-gd assured me that it was DSP-3 V3 that I had in my REF-3.  The 24.576 crystal clock in my old DSP-3 V3 module looks exactly like the supposedly tcxo 1ppm crystal clock that I had received with my new DSP-3 V5 module.  I had the impression that the tcxo clock should look similar to the one on their website.  I'll shoot them an email and see what they have to say about the clock.

Quote:
Huh? Kingwa put out a newer revision of the DSP3?

According to audio-gd's website regarding the type of clock: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/Clock.htm
They had sent me the stock clock instead of the upgraded clock that I had paid for.

Update:  Been listening to my music via my new DSP-3 V5 in my REF-3 with my REF-1 DSP-1 V2 (V1?).  The improvement was very noticeable.  Everything sounded so much more dynamic, clearer & smoother with the new DSP-3 V5.  This is with the original clock on the DSP-3 V5.  Audio-gd will be sending me the upgraded tcxo clock.  I'm very impressed with the improvements.
biggrin.gif
  Can't imagine how good it will sound with the new clock.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #28 of 48
I received my new clocks recently and the boards a while before they were offering the clock upgrades.  The front panel switch wiring for the up-sampling control is a bit funky with the new board. I had to pull one pin out of the socket on the wire and attach it to the return/ground. I worked this out after examining the board and wiring carefully and comparing it to a diagram of the dip switches. The red arrow summarises what I did.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #29 of 48
I didn't now that Kingwa updated the firmware for DSP3.
He wrote me, awhile back when I asked the question, that he didn't see any flaws in the DSP3 frimware. When was this V5 upgrade for the DSP3 made available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back