Audio-GD C2 or Burson HA160?
Jun 17, 2010 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Mr Joboto

Headphoneus Supremus
I've read a fair bit through a lot of threads on these two amps, and not wanting to corrupt the dedicated threads of each of these products, I thought I'd start another one to ask my questions and hear comparisons.

I've got myself a Compass as my current DAC/amp and am looking to upgrade both the DAC and amp sections separately, figured I'd go with the amp section first.

I know the Burson is an Aussie product, but these are on similar performance levels, and I could make a considerable saving going for the C2. SQ and power-wise (want to power the T1 level eventually), is there really much difference?

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 24
At least I've narrowed it down some more for now :wink: Note: for now

Yeah, I put an offer in but was too late :frowning2:

And yeah I've seen it, but I'm looking at SS right now.. probably will end up regretting later :p

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 24
If you're going to buy a DAC later anyway you may as well get the DAC19/C2 combo and use ACSS to connect them. Then, at least you won't have to worry about component matching and whether or not cables make a difference.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 24
That's the path I was thinking of taking. The C2 shouldn't be too bad for cans of T1 level right?

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 24
To be honest mate, if your willing or going to spend upwards of $600 on a burson, you may as well go for the Concerto   ....

that will certainly run your future T1s .. 
smile.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #9 of 24
Concerto and Burson are roughly on par last time I heard them at  the store, the Burson edges slightly warmer. The Concerto does have a gain switch and an analog to digital volume control with more steps, which is more convenient. Much has been said on the topic of discrete opamps and their implementation, of course, I have nothing to add to that debate... 

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
That's the path I was thinking of taking. The C2 shouldn't be too bad for cans of T1 level right?

Funny that you should mention pairing the T1 with the C2. I received my ALO recabled T1 yesterday and I am currently using it with the C2.

I was expecting that it would be a little harder to driver than the HD650, but it is quite the opposite in fact. The C2/T1 combo is much more dynamic than the C2/HD650. I think that as long the headphone amp can swing high voltages, they should be OK with the T1.

Skylab had very good results with the Concerto/T1 combo. Srajan (6moons reviewer) had very good results with the Burson amp. My guess is that if you intend to go with the T1 later, whether you choose the C2, Burson or the Concerto, you should get good results.

Keep in mind that the C2 and Burson are discrete designs while the Concerto uses AD797 opamps+BUF634 output stage. But at the same time, the Concerto has an "active ground" design ...

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 24
Another amp to throw into the mix! I'll give the Concerto a bit of a read. Almost at decision point :)

So hard picking between what will most likely be subtle differences in the end 
redface.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 24
So would you recommend the Burson over the others?

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 24
Subtle is relative term in audio, after all. If my sighted test can be relied upon, the difference definitely there. Better or not? Very, very difficult question. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back