Audio-GD 5.32 power supply curiosity
Oct 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Axonn

Head-Fier
Hi there :).

I'm in the market for a medium-range headphone amp and I've been eyeing the NuForce Icon HDP. However, I've seen all the cool stuff said about Audio-GD products so I've started leaning in that direction.

I do have a few questions to you experts in the subject.

The Icon HDP offers the ability to use a linear power supply to it. Should I be on the lookout for a similar device for the Audio-GD amplifier?

One more question: the frequency response kinda worries me. NuForce lists it as 10Hz to 100kHz (-0.5dB). while Audio-GD is just 20Hz to 20KHz. Furthermore, Fiio lists their E17 as 10Hz to 500KHz @32Ω (all the more confusing that they use Ohms in this measurement whereas other mention dB - but I'm not an expert so the relation between the two is still a bit confusing to me).

Thank you Head'Fi'ers! :D.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Cast all the specs, ratings, gimmicks etc. all aside.
Just let your own ears make the call for you. If you are unable to test anything, read up thoroughly, make a choice and buy blind.
What cans you are using will likely determine which amp you could go for.   

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Ok, even disregarding specs, my first question remains: should I worry about getting a different power supply for the Audio GD 5.32?

P.S.: reading specs for Audio GD Compass 2 I realized what, I believe, NuForce/Fiio are doing with their specs. Audio-GD lists much more detailed specs:

20Hz - 20KHz (-0.2DB , DAC + amp  )
3Hz - 350KHz  ( Amp parts )
3Hz - 200KHz ( Line In )

So probably what Fiio/NuForce are doing: they list their "amp parts" freq response, that's why they go to 100-500 KHz.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 6
5.32 uses direct AC input whereas fiio and nuforce uses DC adaptors, what is there to worry ?
using the cash on a quality power cord rather than on a linear psu gives you greater pleasure and some small change to spare.
I would take 5.32/compass 2 any day between the 3 if you ask me.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 6
  5.32 uses direct AC input whereas fiio and nuforce uses DC adaptors, what is there to worry ?
using the cash on a quality power cord rather than on a linear psu gives you greater pleasure and some small change to spare.
I would take 5.32/compass 2 any day between the 3 if you ask me.

Power cables will never ever improve the sound of your rig as much as an upgrade PSU + power conditioner.  Or in the case of the NFB5.32/Compass2, just add the power conditioner.  But you can ignore this rule of thumb if you are in the UK, I'm told.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 6
  Power cables will never ever improve the sound of your rig as much as an upgrade PSU + power conditioner.  Or in the case of the NFB5.32/Compass2, just add the power conditioner.  But you can ignore this rule of thumb if you are in the UK, I'm told.

Unless you have just entered the audiophile circle, or one that just does not believe clean power, i am sure anyone already had a audio power strip or a conditioner. In the case of agd stuffs, they are sensitive to power cords, even direct to wall outlet and i like my amp direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back