Audinst HUD-mini (final review and pics added 9-27-12)
Aug 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:
I've been trying to decide whether the HUD-mini or the Fiio E17 would be better for my needs.  There are tons of reviews for the E17 understandably since it was released a while.  However, is it me or does it seem unusual that there are so little reviews for the HUD-mini so far?  I don't have experience with the timeline for these newly released products, but headfonia's review and project86's impressions seem to be the only feedback I can find.

If you are purely working off a desktop and have a seperate amp to drive any power-hungry headphones you have, I think the HUD-Mini is good.
E17 is great if you need portability as you can match it with any devices.

For resale, I would think the E17 will move faster than the HUD-mini.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:
If you intend to buy HUD-Mini, just buy the OPA2227 from them. It will save your shipping cost and maybe they will give you a discount on the chip? 

Great idea! While I was going to write them about it, Audinst started to sell 
HUD-mini + OPA2227 on ebay for 135$ (it's just a mere 6$ more than unit's ordinary price).
But now I'm torn between E10, HUD-mini and HUD-mx1. E10 is cheap and good, HUD-mini is a bit better and more versatile,
but HUD-mx1 is simply superb. And the price difference between each step is about the same 90$>135$>179$
I like Audinst' quality though...

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #18 of 47
Is the extra 50 bucks or so worth it for the MX-1 over the Mini?  I've been using my laptop's integrated card as a source, and am itching to get my first real DAC.  How big a difference would it be from the Mini to its big brother?

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:
Is the extra 50 bucks or so worth it for the MX-1 over the Mini?  I've been using my laptop's integrated card as a source, and am itching to get my first real DAC.  How big a difference would it be from the Mini to its big brother?

That's a good question, and one that I don't have a thorough answer for just yet. The HUD-mini does seem very close, in fact almost identical, when using easier to drive headphones. The mx1 seems to have the edge for something like a Sennheiser HD650. Other than that, if you don't need preamp functionality on the RCA outputs, the mini is a good way to save some cash. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:
I'm also thinking of buying a MX1 or mini to use in combination with my heir 4Ai. Is the MX1 clearly better with your 4A?

Not really. For the 4.A they are pretty much identical. The advantages of the mx1 only come when using something more difficult - HD650, K701, that sort of thing. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #23 of 47
Quote:
Thanks. It seems that you have tested many DACs, do you think that there is an interest in buying a high-end DAC for these 4Ai?

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking of the 4.A/4.Ai is revealing enough to justify a higher end DAC than the Audinst? If so, the answer is a resounding YES! Not that the Audinst stuff doesn't sound good. But the 4.A can really go far with great upstream equipment. Just because it is a relatively low priced IEM, don't be fooled. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #24 of 47
Yes that was the question and the answer is very clear 
wink_face.gif

Currently I have a Aune X1 (that I will sell) and my Audinst MINI will arrive in 2 days... not sure that I will keep it.
Do you know a DAC that will be a good upgrade over the MINI with low gain output and not using an external power?

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:
Yes that was the question and the answer is very clear 
wink_face.gif

Currently I have a Aune X1 (that I will sell) and my Audinst MINI will arrive in 2 days... not sure that I will keep it.
Do you know a DAC that will be a good upgrade over the MINI with low gain output and not using an external power?

I don't know of many. The only thing that comes to mind that I have direct experience with is the Izmo M1, which I'll be reviewing at InnerFidelity shortly. It's a fantastic device but sells for nearly $700. So obviously it is more than a small price increase over the $129 Audinst unit. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Thanks, that's a nice review. Seems to be just about the same way I hear it (minus the opamp rolling since I have not done that). 

I agree, that's one hell of a review. He's blog is quite nice too, google takes us to some interesting places sometimes...
Almost everyone has the same opinion about HUD-mini. Mike was a bit too critical about the stock unit imo.
Basically HUD-mini is a scaled down HUD-mx1 and it's quite logical too. I think it's a good starting point in this hobby, especially considering that
HUD-mini has RCA and optical output. Maybe I'm just trying to sell it to myself though 
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #29 of 47
Also don't forget that the mini (like the mx1) can be used as a USB to SPDIF converter. It's no Audiophilleo, and probably won't improve a DAC that already has a decent USB input. But it gets the job done fairly cleanly and thus could be a cheap way of feeding an older non-USB DAC with a 24/96 signal. I wouldn't buy it exclusively for that function but it's a nice bonus to have. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #30 of 47
Just got my HUD-mini, and it's pretty hard for me to hear the difference between it and MacBook Pro (13", Early 2011), paired with Sennheiser HD598. Wonder if it's my untrained ear, or if the MacBook Pro soundcard is really good, or if something in the equipment must be "burned in"...

Maybe I will notice improvement if putting in another opamp the reviews are suggesting...... Noble Hi-fi suggests the OPA2111KPG4 for biggest improvement over OPA2227p. Hmmm... What these reviewers are writing in their reviews sounds so nice and promising in text; "bigger soundstage! better bass etc!!", but since I can barely hear any difference in the stock unit, if any, from my computer, wonder if I will from opamp switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back