Audeze SINE Series
Jun 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,306 of 4,785
On the comfort issue, I personally don't think there's an earth-shattering difference in comfort between the Sine and the PM-3 and comfort is definitely not even an issue with the Sine except with select individuals.

I auditioned these today and am very close to pulling the trigger. Take enjoyed what I heard. Though as a glasses wearer I have never had luck with on ear headphones.

I did notice that they seal very nicely and I could actually shift their position and pressure points and get a great deal still. While the angle did effect the sound it really wasn't as detrimental as many headphones I have heard.

Very tempted. Means i could leave my Sony mdrz7 at home and take the sine on the train and to work.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #1,307 of 4,785
I auditioned these today and am very close to pulling the trigger. Take enjoyed what I heard. Though as a glasses wearer I have never had luck with on ear headphones.

I did notice that they seal very nicely and I could actually shift their position and pressure points and get a great deal still. While the angle did effect the sound it really wasn't as detrimental as many headphones I have heard.

Very tempted. Means i could leave my Sony mdrz7 at home and take the sine on the train and to work.

Am I the only one that tilts my glasses upwards so they sit on the ear cups instead of my ears?

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,308 of 4,785
@Wyd4 You might want to look into this brand if they're available in Australia, I have zero issues with on ears, over ears, behind the ear wires for IEMs, etc.  And the quality is absolutely fantastic.

http://www.silhouette.com/us/en/home/

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #1,309 of 4,785
Any Sennheiser Amperior users in here? How would you rate the Sine comparatively? I primarily listen to metal, so I'm curious how they would compare. I'm an iphone user too, so I could utilize the in-line DAC.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,312 of 4,785
This is my first post here,  I participate in other audio/video enthusiast communities.  I haven't completed a profile yet but will do so. 

Before posting, I've used  'search this forum' and read every word comparing PM3 to Sine in this thread. After many years only using only OEM buds with iphone  I recently purchased two different BT wireless on-ear headphones to test drive the basic feeling.   I wear glasses and a small stud type earring in one ear. One pair of the BT phones I cannot wear even without glasses for more than an hour.  It never really gets comfy.  However, they don't have 'microphonics' or 'bone conduction' issues for me.  Now on the other hand,  I CAN wear  2nd pair, some S*l Republics for extended periods but I'm aware they are there. And these I DO have  microphonics and bone conduction feedback with.  If I walk with them each step creates a vibration boomlet in the ear cups.  I find adjusting it and if at least a little 'air' is allowed in, that reduces the effect.  I've read up on that, and it seems it's more common with IEMS, but  it does happen with cans as well.  So it's good info to know.   So I'm one of those people who may be more prone, or it's the headset, or both.   In every other respect S*l Republics surpassed  expectations.  Seamless iOS integration.  I stream via sp*tify subscription and listen to my own tunes from iPhone.  I plan to make use of the 30 day Tid*l free trial when I make up my mind. 

I have read so many reviews of Sine and PM3.   I live in NYC and even here I think it's still impossible to demo both PM3 and Sine simultaneously in one retail location. Even if you could, for an hour, that's not the same environment I'd be enjoying them in.  The cool thing is in NYC there are lots of Apple stores which have Sine's available for same day pick-up.   Which means they're physically in store.  Even if I can get them on my head before purchasing, I'm not sure that's 'let me walk around for an hour in them' without paying. I'm going to call around and ask the various stores if they have a demo unit.   For a pair of phones at this price, 'on ear,'  it's really important to know  fit factor.  I knew pretty quickly which pair of the 'test' models I got to play with a bit didn't fit right away.  And I know it can take a little while for headphones to 'mold' a bit to your shape.   And I also always have the option of buying them, and if they aren't comfy, returning them. The cipher lightning cable/DAC appeals to me re:  not purchasing a separate DAC.  At least not right away.  On the other hand I do wish the Sines only had one cup cabled, not both.  For me that seems like a lot of extra cabling with the Sines!  The PM3s are wired on one side, not both.

So I have these three questions for more feedback please.  I do know which thread I'm in  - but  -

1) reading what many of you have said,  PM3s  does seem to be consensus pair for "more comfortable" for extended listening. Comfort is a practical thing for me and I don't go out walking without my glasses on. Can anyone with glasses or not, comment on which is more comfortable? 

2) Has anyone else experienced  microphonic / bone conduction issues with other headphones and can comment on whether PM3 or Sines more or less likely to produce this effect? 

3) My home stereo system took a long time to put together, but finally includes Klipsch reference speakers.  One comment in this thread described M3's having a "wall of sound"  signature, and that's exactly how I'd describe Klipsch   The thing is I don't use my home stereo in the living room if I want to listen to music in my bedroom, or in the backyard.  I'm totally over the little bluetooth portable speaker solution - lame.   That's where the nicer headphones come in. So if I'm looking for a similar sound profile in my first set of 'nicer' headphones, where 'comfort' and 'fit' are very high priorities -  and I like the Klipsch "wall of sound" signature, which ones will best meet needs?

I understand this is asking a lot in one product, but I'm curious what ya'll have to say.    I don't think there's much stock of 'refurb'  Sine's but sometimes there are refurbed PM3s  - and then we're talking a very significant 'discount' to give Planar design a try.   I need to verify even refurbed' PM3s get a 30 day return window, but just can't make up my mind yet.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #1,313 of 4,785
I have V-Moda M100s (I am a bit of a basshead) and am considering the Sines.

I am interested to know the volume levels I can expect with the cipher cable. A colleague tested these and sent them back as he said the volume level was too low.

I also have a Dragonfly Red DAC which Inam testing. If the volume is high enough with the cipher cable, I expect I will return the Dragonfly.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,317 of 4,785
  has anyone experimented with bigger pads and such?
Think its time for me to trawl through this thread hehe.

One person on this thread used Marshall pads.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,318 of 4,785
Heheheh.

Bought a pair today
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to a listening session after lunch
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy them...let us know your thoughts

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #1,319 of 4,785

I am interested to know the volume levels I can expect with the cipher cable. A colleague tested these and sent them back as he said the volume level was too low.

I also have a Dragonfly Red DAC which Inam testing. If the volume is high enough with the cipher cable, I expect I will return the Dragonfly.

Cipher cable level is lower than the Dragonfly Red, but Dragonfly level is not very high either.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,320 of 4,785

I had V-MODA Crossfade M-100 (with XL pads) prior to owning Sine + Cipher.

Regarding the bass -- V-MODA certainly has quantity, but I think Sine has much quality. Partially being planar, but partially because the mids are so good. People don't realize how important things like mids are to actually making the bass sound good. Compared to Sine, the V-MODAs sound downright muffled (to me, at least).

Regarding the volume level with Cipher, I consistently listen OUTDOORS (where it's even louder) at about 25% or so. I can't imagine what it's like to be at 50% - 75%...and my ears already hurt imagining what levels your colleague listens at to, claiming it was too low.

I have the Dragonfly Red as well. I actually prefer the sound with my Cipher cable, and it's amazingly convenient to only have iPod + headphones to worry about...no extra cords/DACs/CCKs/etc.

(I love the Red for my laptop, BTW)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back