Audeze SINE Series
Mar 20, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,377 of 4,785
I guess this is a little off-topic, but I thought this is the best forum to post it. I really like the resolution, the attack, the transient response from the Sine. Now when I go back to my bookshelf speakers (Micca MB42X/SMSL SA50 amp) at my computer workstation, I really feel the difference, and suddenly the music sounds muffled and veiled (after getting used to the Sine). So here is the question, what bookshelf speaker (near field, for listening on the desk) would even come close to delivering the sound quality of a high-end headphone like the Sine? I probably have to multiply the price of Sine by ten or so to even expect that kind of quality from a pair of speakers. But just wondering, if I spend upto $500, is there any chance I can even come remotely close to what I want, and if yes, what would be the recommendations? I could have posted this in dedicated speakers forums, but in case any Sine user also happen to own high quality speakers, I am curious to hear their opinions.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #3,378 of 4,785
I guess this is a little off-topic, but I thought this is the best forum to post it. I really like the resolution, the attack, the transient response from the Sine. Now when I go back to my bookshelf speakers (Micca MB42X/SMSL SA50 amp) at my computer workstation, I really feel the difference, and suddenly the music sounds muffled and veiled (after getting used to the Sine). So here is the question, what bookshelf speaker (near field, for listening on the desk) would even come close to delivering the sound quality of a high-end headphone like the Sine? I probably have to multiply the price of Sine by ten or so to even expect that kind of quality from a pair of speakers. But just wondering, if I spend upto $500, is there any chance I can even come remotely close to what I want, and if yes, what would be the recommendations? I could have posted this in dedicated speakers forums, but in case any Sine user also happen to own high quality speakers, I am curious to hear their opinions.

These get rave reviews and are really affordable.

https://www.cnet.com/products/elac-debut-b6/

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #3,379 of 4,785
Mar 20, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,380 of 4,785
btw, which lightning to micro usb cable are you using?

It sounds really good on first listen. There's a lot of clear detail and great separation, but not quite a large soundstage. I do miss the bass, I'm coming from the Koss Porta Pro.

The cable is a from Forza AudioWorks. I recommend the copper cable over the hybrid.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #3,381 of 4,785

Last week i had a revelation DJing a little bit at home. Monitoring with the Sine and then listening to the master through my genelec 6010 i found the sound, considering the different nature of both things (headphones vs speakers is always a difficult translation), very similar.  6010 (now 8010, supposedly an evolved and better version) are great bookshelf monitors, you'll be amazed about how much sound you obtain from such a tiny speaker. Having similar bass to a small speaker (and let's be clear, for their size this things have greeeat bass) is maybe the reason why i miss a hair of punch and rumble on my, attending to all facts, beloved Sine's.

Other small speaker with raving reviews are the audioengine a2+ that i bought to my girlfriend, but the genelecs are miles and miles ahead (and they fit on your budget below 500$). If size is not so important (i appreciate the possibility of being able to take them with me for vacation or some events) you have many more options (passive or active, but i suppose you're asking for active speakers) with great performance/price rating, but returning to the begin, i don't know how similar will they be to the audeze's and for me, as i've stated through the post, the equation in this case is about size/perfomance/price.

Hope it helps...

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #3,382 of 4,785
It was hard to put on.

Also after extended use,

I feel it High in clarity,

But a bit lean in bass.

Safest choice is fake AT pads with adapters for now.

Which Fake AT pads? ESW7? M50?

I posted the pads in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/793518/audeze-sine-series/3180_20#post_13224945
They are the most balanced without being anemic in bass or scooped in mids or harsh in trebles.
Musical and comfortable.

Although my current Bose QC25 pads are super dynamic and clear,
they are not as comfortable, and are more lean in bass.
Ther'e razor sharp and fast with great impact,
but the bass decay is so quick that it seems a bit lean...
Yet the Bose mids *redacted*

I am waiting on the Vmoda pads.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,383 of 4,785
For those who find the Sine a little lean in the base and sharp in the treble (me), try a little damping material inside the cups. The white felt pads from the MrSpeakers tuning kit works perfectly for me. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #3,385 of 4,785
These get rave reviews and are really affordable.

https://www.cnet.com/products/elac-debut-b6/

Last week i had a revelation DJing a little bit at home. Monitoring with the Sine and then listening to the master through my genelec 6010 i found the sound, considering the different nature of both things (headphones vs speakers is always a difficult translation), very similar.  6010 (now 8010, supposedly an evolved and better version) are great bookshelf monitors, you'll be amazed about how much sound you obtain from such a tiny speaker. Having similar bass to a small speaker (and let's be clear, for their size this things have greeeat bass) is maybe the reason why i miss a hair of punch and rumble on my, attending to all facts, beloved Sine's.

Other small speaker with raving reviews are the audioengine a2+ that i bought to my girlfriend, but the genelecs are miles and miles ahead (and they fit on your budget below 500$). If size is not so important (i appreciate the possibility of being able to take them with me for vacation or some events) you have many more options (passive or active, but i suppose you're asking for active speakers) with great performance/price rating, but returning to the begin, i don't know how similar will they be to the audeze's and for me, as i've stated through the post, the equation in this case is about size/perfomance/price.

Hope it helps...

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. The Elac Debut B6 is something I am quite interested in. Wish I could audition it somewhere. Another option at similar pricepoint is Kanto YU5, available at Massdrop for $229. They are also active speakers and come with Bluetooth Aptx.

Pretty amazed by the Genelec 6010 (8010 is the updated model thats going around now I think). I am strongly considering it after reading all the reviews about how beautifully it sounds and how small they are (I have a pretty tight space). If anyone is in the Los Angeles area, can someone suggest a good place to audition speakers like this?I know Brooks Berdan in Monrovia, but they offer very high end stuff I think.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #3,386 of 4,785
  For those who find the Sine a little lean in the base and sharp in the treble (me), try a little damping material inside the cups. The white felt pads from the MrSpeakers tuning kit works perfectly for me. 

Sorry, but i don´t understand exactly what you're talking about. Could you link or explain a little further?? Sounds interesting!! And thanks for the tip!

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #3,387 of 4,785
As a little experience to be shared, today i finally felt the Sines as their potential suggested me with my recently (second hand) bought Headstage arrow 4t. The headphones have a limit i would like to expand related with their bass (to be perfect i'd like more rumble and skull vibration...it's almost enough at home, but it lacks on the street and they are supposed to be designed for urban migrations) and soundstage ( i clearly still miss more 3d), but their clarity, cleanness, timbre and separation are the best i've heard thanks to my new old tiny amp. If the Sine's evolution solves this faults it would be, no doubt, my final election (yes, i want to quit this wallet-voracious vice)

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #3,390 of 4,785
I really like the signature of this headphone, but at times it can be a little lean for me. Which is odd because most of the reviews that I've read suggest that the Sine has a slight V shape signature. I was messing around with EQ to "sweeten" the signature but couldn't even get happy with the results and went back to stock, no EQ. Then for giggles I tried some of the presets that Sonarworks has for headphone EQ when I loaded up the profile for the hd600. Wow! Hello sub bass and a little sweeter top end. This is very close to perfect for me now. ymmv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back