Audeze SINE Series
Dec 9, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #2,956 of 4,785
You know, I really don't want to agree with you. However, with a certain amount of regret, I do.

I've bought quite a few audio and headphone related items this year, and, despite the SINEs overall sound quality (assuming you keep your head still), quite frankly it is the worst purchase I've made this year.

Basically since June, they've been sat inside the EL8 case. Essentially they have too many problems to be of use to me in any of my normal headphone listening situations.

Ok, there's no doubting the overall sound quality of the SINEs, but I really don't like it when the volume and left right balance briefly changes every time I move my head. Then there's the slight crinkling sound that accompanies that. Add to that, that they're all but useless on my commute due to the lack of isolation - I have to put the volume up so high to overcome the ambient noise that I fear for my hearing.

I guess the problem is that I have is that I have a number of other headphones at around the same price point, or considerably cheaper, that either have a better sound quality, or they are not very far at all behind the SINEs in terms of sound quality, but simply work far far better in environments where the SINE just falls apart.

I'm known as a bit of a headphone junkie in my circle of friends and I've been asked a couple of times if I recommend them, and my answer has always been that even though the sound quality is good, I cannot, in good conscience, recommend them because of all the other issues that they have, especially given their price point.

All in all the SINEs have been a somewhat of a disappointment for me. However, having long since forgotten cost, I'm not upset or angry as I fully accept that sometimes in this hobby you'll end up buying a duffer, and at least the SINE is a relatively good duffer.

I disagree with you both. I use Sines on the go - in tram, when I walk to the office, when vacumming and packing up dishwaser at home. It never fell off my head - even when I had my head down. It sits very well and the comfort is ok - good for 2-3h. To me it is more comfortable than PM3. I haven't observed any build issues so far. I love the sound. I listened and owned a bunch of mobile headphones but this one is the best so far. Best of my purchase so far!

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #2,957 of 4,785

Should AUDEZE offer me a refund I'd return them right away. NO REGRET.

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,958 of 4,785
I know this is a long shot, but could this possibly be an option for those without a cipher cable.

SMSL Icon
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/smsl-icon-lightning-dac-amp-for-ios?referer=M8NSWY

I cannot find any info or reviews of it, but it would be nice to use it with my iem's as well.

Any thoughts?

James

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,959 of 4,785
Just got the Sine. I'm not sure I ever used the term "game changer" for headfi equipment before, but the Sine is definitely a game changer for the portable space imho. The cipher cable performs great and the ability to program EQ into the DAC so that it applies to all the music apps on my iPhone is a game changing idea. With the 2 presets, I can program my default EQ and use the the other preset for my "airplane mode" EQ which needs more low end boost.

If there is a flaw, I think the clamping force will be too much for some. My hat size is pretty average and I find these firm on my ears, but not uncomfortable. However, there is a constant feel that I have these on, unlike my TH900 which "disappear" after the first 5-10 min. I also have eyeglasses with flat metal arms so I can wear these with the Sine without issue. However, if you have eyeglasses with thicker plastic arms, I don't think these will be comfortable.

My sound preference is basically neutral with a small bump in lower end. My EQ is set at:

125 -2db
250 -2db
500 -1db
4K - +2 db
8K - +2 db

I still need to burn in so may make some more minor edits later.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #2,960 of 4,785
Hi,

I currently have the EL-8's closed back which I use at home with my Deckard. Love the combo. I use Shure 535's when traveling and found as I have aged I do not like using the IEM's. I was going to wait for the new iSine 20's but I think I might just jump on a pair of the Sine's over the ears and pair with a chord mojo. What is everyones thoughts and do these fold up and more portable then the EL8's?

Thanks,

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,961 of 4,785
  Hi,

I currently have the EL-8's closed back which I use at home with my Deckard. Love the combo. I use Shure 535's when traveling and found as I have aged I do not like using the IEM's. I was going to wait for the new iSine 20's but I think I might just jump on a pair of the Sine's over the ears and pair with a chord mojo. What is everyones thoughts and do these fold up and more portable then the EL8's?

Thanks,

Don't do it. My Sines lasted three days before breaking and Audeze is proving frustratingly hard to get to RMA them for me. They are made from cheap Chinese metal. Maybe you should consider the Oppo pm3 instead or go higher up the food chain like I'm trying to do.

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2,962 of 4,785

I highly recommend them; they are the best on-ear closed portables I have heard.  I really dug my Beyerdynamic T51i in that category, but the Sine with Cipher has surpassed them for me, in sound quallity.  But also in comfort; they are "on-ears" but a bit bigger than that really, which makes them more comfortable for me.  The clamping force is just right.  And you can adjust the force.
The Cipher equalizer is very nice; also it is finely adjustable.
The durability for me has been perfect so far.  I bought them used from another Head-Fier, and they were in pristine condition.  Still are.  I usually use them at the gym, and coffee shops. Perfect.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #2,963 of 4,785
Hi,

Thanks,

The Sines are much smaller than the EL-8s. The ear cups rotate flat for storage.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #2,964 of 4,785
Dudes - For that were having trouble buying genuine MSR7 pads from audio-technica for use with my adapters...i spoke to the parts guy today, and he said basically he's doing his best to keep up - he's the only one in their parts ordering department!

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #2,965 of 4,785

Don't do it. My Sines lasted three days before breaking and Audeze is proving frustratingly hard to get to RMA them for me. They are made from cheap Chinese metal. Maybe you should consider the Oppo pm3 instead or go higher up the food chain like I'm trying to do.

Wow I find that hard to believe, I had to have a cable replaced and it was next day aired to me 6 months after purchase.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #2,967 of 4,785
  I highly recommend them; they are the best on-ear closed portables I have heard.  I really dug my Beyerdynamic T51i in that category, but the Sine with Cipher has surpassed them for me, in sound quallity.  But also in comfort; they are "on-ears" but a bit bigger than that really, which makes them more comfortable for me.  The clamping force is just right.  And you can adjust the force.
The Cipher equalizer is very nice; also it is finely adjustable.
The durability for me has been perfect so far.  I bought them used from another Head-Fier, and they were in pristine condition.  Still are.  I usually use them at the gym, and coffee shops. Perfect.

Do they fold flatter then the EL-8's I have the case from Audeze and find it hard to make it fit in my bag with all the other items I travel with.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #2,970 of 4,785
  It looks like they have the same case from Audeze as the EL-8's?

I am really torn before getting these or waiting for the Sine i20's

The Sines are much smaller. I don't have the hard case for the EL-8s, so I don't know how well the Sines would fit that case. Mine only came with a soft drawstring pouch.

Unless you order the Sines specifically with the Cipher cable, I think they generally only come with the regular cable (Cipher cable costs extra).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back