Audeze SINE Series
Dec 6, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,941 of 4,785
My wife ordered me the Sine for xmas, but through a series of mistakes ordered the non-cipher version. I contacted Audeze, and they said they could send me a cipher cable that will work for $99. That cable is in the mail. The communication with Audeze has been a little odd, but i have asked to make sure that the cipher cable will work with the sine, as I see they have one for their other headphones, but the Sine seems to have a special connector. The guy assures me they will, but uses language like "I think they should work fine".

looking at images, I noticed that the Sine cipher seems to "y" out to each earcup using a proprietary connector. Has anyone ordered the non-cipher sine and gone this route, or am I about to receive the wrong cable?

You should be fine. They have a cipher cable made specifically for the EL-8 and another for the Sine. The Sine cable is $99 like you mentioned. I believe the EL-8 cable is cheaper.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,942 of 4,785
Hi all, new user and first post here.

I first bought the SINE and was pretty happy with the sound as it was a nice different flavor from my DT880Pro 250Ohms and Q-Jays but, like many, I had a big comfort problem : It would hurt my ears so much I had to send it back (the thing would literally makes my ears red after 20 minutes).

Then I read about custom pads from vesperaudio on Head-Fi and decided to give them a try so I later bought a second pair of SINE and ordered a set of custom pads from them
(Over-Ear Leather/Alcantara 2cm thick version).
http://vesperaudio.com/sites/default/files/styles/view_gallery_large/public/inline-albums/dsc_01533.jpg?itok=5f7uRvHd

I have to say they are far more comfortable (even though it makes the SINE even more bulky a bit but hey...)

The sound signature changes a bit : to my ears, lows loses a bit of depth and punch but are less boomy that way, highs have a bit more presence, I also feel the general sound is less "chocked" and a bit more spacious, perhaps because the original SINE pads created too much of a vacuum on my ears (keep in mind that I'm used to listen to a fairly flat -in comparison- open headphones and IEM so YMMV).

I feel that those things could be addressed thru the Cipher EQ though, so in the end it's a great solution for people that loves their SINE but wish it could be a bit more friendly with their ears 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope it'll help !

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2,943 of 4,785
Hey all! I've been looking at the Sine as a work headphone as I'm a big fan of the Audeze sound and I have a few questions.

Do you guys think the Sine follows the Audeze house sound in a similar way to the LCD series? And how is the quality control/longevity? I know the LCD series suffers from some pretty nasty QC issues at times, but I haven't heard much about the Sine with respect to this issue. Are the Sines relatively problem-free? Or do they share the same longevity (and driver) issues that their bigger brothers succumb to?

Anyone have any comparisons between these and the Oppo PM3 or (a long shot) the Campfire Audio Orions? I'm planning on using these with the Cypher cable with my iPhone 7 for the most part.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #2,944 of 4,785
I bought them since they came out with no issues. I prefer them over PM-3 tad more treble and bass than PM-3s- PM-3s were great but for me lacked a little bit of excitement needed for portable use.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #2,946 of 4,785
  Hey all! I've been looking at the Sine as a work headuasphone as I'm a big fan of the Audeze sound and I have a few questions.

Do you guys think the Sine follows the Audeze house sound in a similar way to the LCD series? And how is the quality control/longevity? I know the LCD series suffers from some pretty nasty QC issues at times, but I haven't heard much about the Sine with respect to this issue. Are the Sines relatively problem-free? Or do they share the same longevity (and driver) issues that their bigger brothers succumb to?

Anyone have any comparisons between these and the Oppo PM3 or (a long shot) the Campfire Audio Orions? I'm planning on using these with the Cypher cable with my iPhone 7 for the most part.

As a work headphone...
that"s exactly what I do, and in order to use Sine at work I had to buy an external Dac Amp to plug to my MacBook AIr. I choosed Burson Conductor AIr, it perfectly matches Audeze Sine. Cipher cable is useless unless you want to phone with the Sine which I do not recommend.
Next I had to change the ear pads because original "on ear" pads are very uncomfortable. I choosed Brainwawz angled pads ( pleather) they also perfectly match the Sine.

Nevertheless do not expect long life duration with Sine. They are high quality but also high fragility.
That's why for intensive phone use I choosed  Beyerdynamic T51i. They will last longer and also cost a lot less.

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #2,947 of 4,785
Listening to the Sine for the past couple days I have been noticing a lot more detail in the music that I am familiar with (or music I thought I was familiar with...) Listening to Radiohead lossless files has really been eye-opening. There are layers of sound that I didn't even know existed. Music is better now. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,948 of 4,785
Doing another comparison session with my SINE after many days of listening with them. Brainwavz angled pads. Just one song. X3ii. All Hi gain. Turned EQ off (flat). Volume matched by ear only. Not looking at my previous comparison before writing this.

Metallica, Enter Sandman (FLAC)
SINE - Volume 50 - Overall sound is very clean and crisp and tight with black background and good instrument separation. Cymbals/high hats are right out in front - big time. Soundstage is wide (relatively). Drums have very good impact, but not artificial and definitely not boomy. Vocals are a little subdued compared to SR80.

Grado SR80 - Volume 30 - Overall sound is more veiled than Sine. Maybe not as tight or accurate either. Vocals and guitars are way more prominent than Sine but not as clear. Cymbals/high hats are more subdued than Sine but you can hear them. Impact of other drums sound pretty good but again less clear than Sine.

ATH-M50X - Volume 27 - Overall sound is muddier and more hollow (like reverb) than both above headphones. Are there cymbals in this song? Really, they're barely there. Bass impact is bigger and wider but bloated. Easily driven.

Biggest conclusions:
- The Sine easily sound better overall than the other two.
- Eq'ing the mids (500/1K) up and 16Khz down definitely improves the Sine sound balance for me. Tame those cymbals!
- The M50 is muddy but can be fun I suppose to get that bass impact and boom. I'm not a big fan of boom though. And the M50 is way too "hollow" sounding
- The SR80 are not as crisp or clear as I thought they were now that I have the Sine. A real star with vocals though
- I think sound is relative. So, if I had some other different headphones to compare, I might come up with different impressions of all 3 of these

Next:
- Get an amp to see if I can get even more dynamics out of the Sine. K5? Answer the "Am I missing something?" question
- If I could get really fast at switching back and forth between the stock pads and the Brainwavz it would be fun to compare them. Have I given up any good parts of the Sine's sound by switching pads? Might not be relevant to me with these Brainwavz being so much more comfortable

Bonus listen after all of the above:

ER-4S (with customfit eartips) - Volume 36 - Remind me more of the Sine than the other two. Amazing level of detail and transparency, but I'm not so sure its better than the Sine anymore. The Sine is really good for that. Similar speed and tightness as Sine. Flatter, less impact, less deep, less "fun." Less soundstage, more inside my head. Wow, now for sure I know the Sine has crazy treble: The ER-4S has less treble (yes, I said that), like it's not bothering me. Cymbals not as upfront and I don't feel a need to EQ the treble away like I used to. Sine are much easier to wear and no microphonics issues.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #2,950 of 4,785
I prefer them over PM-3 tad more treble and bass than PM-3s- PM-3s were great but for me lacked a little bit of excitement needed for portable use.

That seems to be the consensus. Would you say the Sine is a bit v-shaped? Or that the PM3 was a bit mid-focused?
How is the treble? The Sine's frequency response surprisingly resembles the LCD-X, which I love, but it also kinda resembles the Denon D7000, which is a great headphone, but a bit sharp for my current tastes.

As a work headphone...
that"s exactly what I do, and in order to use Sine at work I had to buy an external Dac Amp to plug to my MacBook AIr. I choosed Burson Conductor AIr, it perfectly matches Audeze Sine. Cipher cable is useless unless you want to phone with the Sine which I do not recommend.
Next I had to change the ear pads because original "on ear" pads are very uncomfortable. I choosed Brainwawz angled pads ( pleather) they also perfectly match the Sine.

Nevertheless do not expect long life duration with Sine. They are high quality but also high fragility.
That's why for intensive phone use I choosed  Beyerdynamic T51i. They will last longer and also cost a lot less.

Why would you recommend against using the Sine with a phone? I would expect the cable amp/dac designed specifically for the Sine to work fairly well with them. Is there some problem with it?

Mind throwing up a picture of your new pads? I can't see how they would fit. Did the new pads change the sound? Are the stock pads removable? Or did you have to tear them off? Do the brainwavz pads cause any seal issues?

When you say high fragility, do you mean they need to be treated with care as to not physically damage them, or that they have a high chance of internal failure regardless of how careful you are with them?

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #2,951 of 4,785

I prefer them over PM-3 tad more treble and bass than PM-3s- PM-3s were great but for me lacked a little bit of excitement needed for portable use.

That seems to be the consensus. Would you say the Sine is a bit v-shaped? Or that the PM3 was a bit mid-focused?
How is the treble? The Sine's frequency response surprisingly resembles the LCD-X, which I love, but it also kinda resembles the Denon D7000, which is a great headphone, but a bit sharp for my current tastes.

As a work headphone...

Why would you recommend against using the Sine with a phone? I would expect the cable amp/dac designed specifically for the Sine to work fairly well with them. Is there some problem with it?

Mind throwing up a picture of your new pads? I can't see how they would fit. Did the new pads change the sound? Are the stock pads removable? Or did you have to tear them off? Do the brainwavz pads cause any seal issues?

When you say high fragility, do you mean they need to be treated with care as to not physically damage them, or that they have a high chance of internal failure regardless of how careful you are with them?

I found the PM-3 a bit boring and maybe slightly mid focused.  The sine are punchy on all ends and more detailed at same time.  PM-3 were very comfortable, and easy to get on and off.  Very isolating.  The one thing that still stands out to me about PM-3 was how easy it was to take them on and off.  If you want something for work and take it on off a few times a hour they are great for that.  For me I pick it up and listen to more music when its easy to get on and off.  Some time I won't listen to music if I know someone is about to come talk to me.  But with PM-3 it was not a issue.  Sine are much better if you looking for what sounds better.

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #2,952 of 4,785

I don't recommend using Sine intensively : you will break it.
I don't expect mine - used VERY carefully- to last for more thant 2 years. This is the most fragile headphone i ever owned since over 40 years.
Using Sine with a phone means while stressing i.e. : you take them on and off to grab papers ... you will very soon destroy them.
Using Sine while walking is also a non-sense : they are not stable on you head and when exposed to external elements ... you will very soon destroy them.

Sine are dedicated to sedentary use - as they are small you can bring them with you while you travel providing you buy yourself a proper travel container like i did.
When I unpack and start to work they are -together with Conductor Air - like being at home listening my larger HiFiman 400i on my larger Burson Conductor.

I know Sine have been designed to become the light portable version of it's bigger brothers. BUT they failed manufacturing a robust yet high quality portable headphone.
Such headphone does not exist on the market. Oppo PM3 are lifeless and awful treble. So i use different headphones for different circumstances.
BEYER T51i is the one that is the most versatile : for the last 2 years i used them for music and phone nearly everywhere and they are still intact almost like new. I certainly could not achieve this with Audeze Sine.  When taking a plane nothing better that Bose QC15 noise cancelling. 

I like the audio quality of Sine ( not as good as my Hifiman 400i but close ) I thing they have no competition in the category of small transportable headphone. But I am sure someone will do better and more reliable soon. I am expecting Oppo to better its PM3 series ...the trick is just a little more life and a better treble...

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #2,953 of 4,785

I don't expect mine - used VERY carefully- to last for more thant 2 years. This is the most fragile headphone i ever owned since over 40 years. INTERNALLY AND EXTERNALLY. 
Using Sine with a phone means while stressing i.e. : you take them on and off to grab papers ... you will very soon destroy them.
Using Sine while walking is also a non-sense : they are not stable on you head and when exposed to external elements ... you will very soon destroy them.

Sine are dedicated to sedentary use - as they are small you can bring them with you while you travel providing you buy yourself a proper travel container like i did.
When I unpack and start to work they are -together with Conductor Air - like being at home listening my larger HiFiman 400i on my larger Burson Conductor.

I know Sine have been designed to become the light portable version of it's bigger brothers. BUT they failed manufacturing a robust yet high quality portable headphone.
Such headphone does not exist on the market. Oppo PM3 are lifeless and awful treble. So i use different headphones for different circumstances.
BEYER T51i is the one that is the most versatile : for the last 2 years i used them for music and phone nearly everywhere and they are still intact almost like new. I certainly could not achieve this with Audeze Sine.  When taking a plane nothing better that Bose QC15 noise cancelling. 

I like the audio quality of Sine ( not as good as my Hifiman 400i but close ) I thing they have no competition in the category of small transportable headphone. But I am sure someone will do better and more reliable soon. I am expecting Oppo to better its PM3 series ...the trick is just a little more life and a better treble...

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #2,954 of 4,785
I don't expect mine - used VERY carefully- to last for more thant 2 years. This is the most fragile headphone i ever owned since over 40 years. INTERNALLY AND EXTERNALLY. 

You know, I really don't want to agree with you. However, with a certain amount of regret, I do.

I've bought quite a few audio and headphone related items this year, and, despite the SINEs overall sound quality (assuming you keep your head still), quite frankly it is the worst purchase I've made this year.

Basically since June, they've been sat inside the EL8 case. Essentially they have too many problems to be of use to me in any of my normal headphone listening situations.

Ok, there's no doubting the overall sound quality of the SINEs, but I really don't like it when the volume and left right balance briefly changes every time I move my head. Then there's the slight crinkling sound that accompanies that. Add to that, that they're all but useless on my commute due to the lack of isolation - I have to put the volume up so high to overcome the ambient noise that I fear for my hearing.

I guess the problem is that I have is that I have a number of other headphones at around the same price point, or considerably cheaper, that either have a better sound quality, or they are not very far at all behind the SINEs in terms of sound quality, but simply work far far better in environments where the SINE just falls apart.

I'm known as a bit of a headphone junkie in my circle of friends and I've been asked a couple of times if I recommend them, and my answer has always been that even though the sound quality is good, I cannot, in good conscience, recommend them because of all the other issues that they have, especially given their price point.

All in all the SINEs have been a somewhat of a disappointment for me. However, having long since forgotten cost, I'm not upset or angry as I fully accept that sometimes in this hobby you'll end up buying a duffer, and at least the SINE is a relatively good duffer.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #2,955 of 4,785

try IEM... those little A4 cost nothing and are better than Sine !  This is ...If you can stand IEM sensations within you ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back