Audeze LCD2 owners who own other headphone, please advise....
Apr 24, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 35
No we found the HE-6 to be the brightest can. Don't get me all confused now 
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #17 of 35
If we exclude the R10 which are OOP, then if I could keep one other headphone besides the LCD-2, I would still have to answer in three different ways:

1. I must have a closed headphone, so my #2 choice would be the Edition 8. But if we factor that need out, then

2. I would choose the HE-6. It's my second favorite headphone overall after the LCD-2 (again aside from the R10). But the HE-6 is pretty hard to drive, so if we had to eliminate it for that reason, then

3. I would choose the Beyer T1.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #18 of 35
If we exclude the R10 which are OOP, then if I could keep one other headphone besides the LCD-2, I would still have to answer in three different ways:

1. I must have a closed headphone, so my #2 choice would be the Edition 8. But if we factor that need out, then

2. I would choose the HE-6. It's my second favorite headphone overall after the LCD-2 (again aside from the R10). But the HE-6 is pretty hard to drive, so if we had to eliminate it for that reason, then

3. I would choose the Beyer T1.

What, no IEM? :D

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #19 of 35
Agree, the R10 is a notch above every headphone I've heard. Music sounded so realistic through them, the headphones seemed to disappear. I haven't listened to the L3000 so I don't know how it would compare.
Regarding IEMs, I've listened to the entire Ultimate Ears lineup and they didn't impress me in the slightest.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:
No we found the HE-6 to be the brightest can. Don't get me all confused now 
biggrin.gif

Oh, that's interesting. I suspected that there would be a lot of differences once you try a headphone with your own music. When I heard the HE6 through Nankai's rig, they sounded perfectly balanced and warm. When I heard the Beyerdynamic T1 in a store, they sounded very warm. Then I brought it home, plugged it through my previous Woo 6SE, and they had some of the most emphasized treble I've heard. I guess it goes to show that you won't know how a headphone really sounds like from the music that the makers audition them with. I'm still interested in how the HE6 sound through a Lyr or better amp.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #21 of 35
I heard the HE-6 through a WA5 with an upgraded rectifier and a couple other DIY amps as well. However, I was at a meet so my listening time was very brief. I would like to take it home and give it another shot.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Oh, that's interesting. I suspected that there would be a lot of differences once you try a headphone with your own music. When I heard the HE6 through Nankai's rig, they sounded perfectly balanced and warm. When I heard the Beyerdynamic T1 in a store, they sounded very warm. Then I brought it home, plugged it through my previous Woo 6SE, and they had some of the most emphasized treble I've heard. I guess it goes to show that you won't know how a headphone really sounds like from the music that the makers audition them with. I'm still interested in how the HE6 sound through a Lyr or better amp.

Kinda says a lot about how transparent the T1s are by revealing what you have upstream...warm with one setup and bright with another. With my WA2, they are slightly on the "warm side of neutral".

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #24 of 35

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Kinda says a lot about how transparent the T1s are by revealing what you have upstream...warm with one setup and bright with another. With my WA2, they are slightly on the "warm side of neutral".

IME, the Anedio is as neutral as it gets. Whatever I plug in them shows their true colorations very clearly. I believe my previous Woo Audio 6SE was on the slightly warmer side of neutral. I tried tubes which were known to be warm and the T1 sounded more balanced but at the expense of soundstage and clarity. I'm sure the T1 can sound very balanced with certain systems, but I'm positive it is not neutral. There is a very obvious treble peak. Almost all "audiophile" headphones have a treble peak somewhere. My W11R has one at 7K region, but it's a tight peak that can be easily balanced with EQ compared to the T1's treble peak that is more spread out.

EDIT: not 17k, 7k

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 35
IME, the Anedio is as neutral as it gets. Whatever I plug in them shows their true colorations very clearly. I believe my previous Woo Audio 6SE was on the ever so slightly warmer side of neutral. I tried tubes which were known to be warm and the T1 sounded more balanced but at the expense of soundstage and clarity. I'm sure the T1 can sound very balanced with certain systems, but I'm positive it is not neutral. There is a very obvious treble peak. Almost all "audiophile" headphones have a treble peak somewhere. My W11R has one at 17K region, but it's a tight peak that can be easily balanced with EQ compared to the T1's treble peak that is more spread out.

Actually no, the T1's treble peak is up at about 9-10kHz and quite narrow compared to many headphones (including the HD800s). Nothing much happening at this range. Did you consider that a "neutral" amp with headphone A may not be the best match for headphone B and come off with less than ideal synergy? Says nothing about the amp or headphones independently, just the synergy between them.

The WA6SE doesn't have the same power output at 600 ohms like an OTL amp would.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #26 of 35

Quote:
Quote:
IME, the Anedio is as neutral as it gets. Whatever I plug in them shows their true colorations very clearly. I believe my previous Woo Audio 6SE was on the ever so slightly warmer side of neutral. I tried tubes which were known to be warm and the T1 sounded more balanced but at the expense of soundstage and clarity. I'm sure the T1 can sound very balanced with certain systems, but I'm positive it is not neutral. There is a very obvious treble peak. Almost all "audiophile" headphones have a treble peak somewhere. My W11R has one at 17K region, but it's a tight peak that can be easily balanced with EQ compared to the T1's treble peak that is more spread out.

Actually no, the T1's treble peak is up at about 9-10kHz and quite narrow compared to many headphones (including the HD800s). Nothing much happening at this range. Did you consider that a "neutral" amp with headphone A may not be the best match for headphone B and come off with less than ideal synergy? Says nothing about the amp or headphones independently, just the synergy between them.

The WA6SE doesn't have the same power output at 600 ohms like an OTL amp would.

I'm not sure if changing the WA6SE would completely change the whole character of the T1. The WA6SE should be adequate. I'm sure it would sound more balanced in a warmer system. I consider most "audiophile" headphones with any treble peak to be bright regardless. Maybe, I'm nit picking but I have rarely come across a neutral headphone. Speakers are a different story. I consider the Stax O2 MK1 and the W11R even with it's tight 7k peak to be more neutral than other headphones I've heard.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't get to try the HD800s in my own system. I do consider them bright tho
tongue.gif

You mean "though"?

I guess the HE6s sound bright to you too?

tho=though

I said the HE6s sounded very balanced through Nankai's system and music. I was surprised by another member's impression of them being bright so I think the culprit is Nankai's system and music. If the HE6 are considered as bright as the HD800, then yes. I also consider the K1000 and the Sony R10 basslight to be bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back