Audeze LCD-X
Nov 1, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #8,566 of 12,748
  Improper shielding can def affect the sound.  In my opinion the most important aspect of a 'good' cable is it's shielding.  What is interesting to note is almost none of the high priced after market cables have any sort of shielding.

And hilariously it's the shielding that can introduce capacitance.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #8,567 of 12,748
  Speaking about cables, there is something that I could never understand about cable market, I would be grateful if someone can explain this to me.

The best cable is no cable (they degrade sound quality, the best cable is the one which passes more information of the signal), or at least that is what I understand.
Now, if the material with best electricity conductor known is silver, why aren't all cables silver, I mean, how can a +300usd headphone cable be made with copper?
I know, geometry, capacitance, inductance are all important, but having all those solved (as it should for a cable at that price), why not pure silver? 

Even Nordost Odin 2 is silver plated copper...I don't understand.

EDIT: Please, don't answer with: copper sounds warmer than silver, that's bs, a cable is not a tone controller.

Copper is barely better than silver as a conductor anyway. Cable can make a difference as you said due to difference in resistance and inductance, what you should be questioning is why an aftermarket cable always seems to be better than the stock one. Odds are an aftermarket cable should sound worse more often than not since the manufacturer are the one that would know what properties they want their cable to have.

2zod6a8.jpg

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #8,568 of 12,748

what you should be questioning is why an aftermarket cable always seems to be better than the stock one.

I never understood that. Ever. Yes, you're going to get the occasional guy saying "muh Fostex!" but I cannot ******* fathom how headphone companies put out $4k headphones with "inferior" cables. Why sell headphones with cables at all? Let the end user buy their own. Standardize the connectors.

The only math I can get behind is that different materials have different impedance values. However, they top out at a few ohms. I am also amused by the claim that different cables have different harmonic distortion values. However, when the stock setups have <1% THD, how much can you possibly hear? This was countered (in the HD800 thread) by a discussion about specific octaves' harmonic distortion instead of total harmonic distortion, which might have some credence - if we weren't discussing <1%.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #8,569 of 12,748
  Improper shielding can def affect the sound.  In my opinion the most important aspect of a 'good' cable is it's shielding.  What is interesting to note is almost none of the high priced after market cables have any sort of shielding.

Shielding is strongly recommended at lengths over 15 feet as a cable begins to lose conductivity. Anything less than that, non-shielded is not necessary. However, we do offer shielded cables at any lengths and they do perform better as it completely isolates wires from outside interference.

Now, if the material with best electricity conductor known is silver, why aren't all cables silver, I mean, how can a +300usd headphone cable be made with copper?

We offer pure silver cables starting at $299.99!

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Nov 1, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #8,570 of 12,748
Actually, it's resistance which is important in speaker and headphone cables. Inductance and capacitance come into play only for extremely long cable runs.

As for silver, the slightly lower resistance per foot in no way justifies the higher cost of the material. Moreover, cable companies selling "all silver" cables sell them at prices in no way commensurate with the higher material and fabrication costs.

Finally, some argue that pure silver is better because it never corrodes, and therefore performs perfectly forever, while copper does oxidize and will, therefore degrade in performance over the long run. This argument, of course, overlooks the fact that copper can be made that is 6ns oxygen free, and that copper wire, which is cheaper than silver, will also be immune to corrosion and will perform optimally forever. Not only that, even thee cheapest copper wires from companies like Canare and Monoprice is made with 6 nines copper, quality teflon jackets, and quality connectors. So why pay more?

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #8,571 of 12,748
Actually, it's resistance which is important in speaker and headphone cables. Inductance and capacitance come into play only for extremely long cable runs.

As for silver, the slightly lower resistance per foot in no way justifies the higher cost of the material. Moreover, cable companies selling "all silver" cables sell them at prices in no way commensurate with the higher material and fabrication costs.

Finally, some argue that pure silver is better because it never corrodes, and therefore performs perfectly forever, while copper does oxidize and will, therefore degrade in performance over the long run. This argument, of course, overlooks the fact that copper can be made that is 6ns oxygen free, and that copper wire, which is cheaper than silver, will also be immune to corrosion and will perform optimally forever. Not only that, even thee cheapest copper wires from companies like Canare and Monoprice is made with 6 nines copper, quality teflon jackets, and quality connectors. So why pay more?

Because them placebos. And lets not forget some cables insist they need to be "broken in" and repeatedly "broken in" after extended periods of disuse.

People need to know they have the hottest thing on the block. I bet Audeze could make a Hifiman-style aluminum headband with a synthetic strap for 1/4 the price of the leather and carbon fiber headband that's a similar weight. But no, we have to have the hottest materials in our damn headbands.

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #8,572 of 12,748

Shielding is strongly recommended at lengths over 15 feet as a cable begins to lose conductivity. Anything less than that, non-shielded is not necessary. However, we do offer shielded cables at any lengths and they do perform better as it completely isolates wires from outside interference.

We offer pure silver cables starting at $299.99!

Well my MHP1000 oem cable was under 10' and picked up a ton of interference with a switching led compatible dimmer circuit nearby totally destroying the experience of listening to them.  I replaced it with a Norne audio cable and it is now dead silent so I would argue length is not the consideration of shielding vs none.

Nov 1, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #8,573 of 12,748
Audeze defines their LCD cables as "multi-stranded audio-grade copper".

How would someone define "multi-stranded" and "audio-grade copper"?

I am enjoying the cable based just on weight and length since I have not compared it to anything.  I am using the ADL/Furutech 1/4 to 3.5 adapter for use with a portable DAC.  This adapter has a better fit for the male-female 1/4th connection than the standard one that comes with the headphones.

Is the LCD standard cable have a good rep?

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #8,574 of 12,748
  Audeze defines their LCD cables as "multi-stranded audio-grade copper".

How would someone define "multi-stranded" and "audio-grade copper"?

I think multi-stranded smooths out the mids and makes the soundstage more expansive, and audio-grade makes it holographic and "dude, I can just hear the difference, OK?". Or, wait, these are stock cables... only aftermarket cables made of the same materials provide these features. Dang it... LINE???

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #8,575 of 12,748

Well put!

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #8,576 of 12,748

+1

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #8,578 of 12,748
  What's the comfort differential between Elear and LCD-X w/ Carbon Fiber?

Even with the upgraded headband i couldn't possibly imagine that the LCD-X can become as comfortable as the Elear. I do not own the Focal but have auditioned it for a few hours and its weight was never an issue. On the other hand getting used to the weight of the Audeze for longer sessions is an acquired skill.

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #8,579 of 12,748

I have the XC which is a beast and would bring odd attention to itself in public.  I have the PM-1 also which is unbelievably comfortable.  The XC at first feels odd literally like a football helmut at first.

It took me a few sessions and now I have no issue with the XC.  I just stood up and walked away with them on my head thinking I was listening to my speakers.  Not recommended but is an example of how I am now used to them.  I only have the standard headband.

Nov 9, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #8,580 of 12,748
What's the comfort differential between Elear and LCD-X w/ Carbon Fiber?

I have the LCD-X with the carbon fiber and it makes a big difference in making it comfortable. But the Elear is just as comfortable to wear, but it is also lighter. So, I'd give the edge to the Elear, but it would not be a deciding factor for me if I was choosing between them. BTW, I'd pick the LCD-X over the Elear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back