Audeze LCD-X
Sep 20, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #8,432 of 12,748
  To the extent that LCD-X works with classical music, where do people find that it excels? 

Having just received the LCD-X, I would say it really excels with chamber music, especially string pieces.  It has very good imaging and coupled with the intimate sound makes it a joy to listen to.  My model seems to have a slight dip in the upper mids and a slight peak in the upper treble which makes piano notes a bit uneven but only really noticeable if I am looking for it.

The LCD-X definitely doesn't have the expansive soundstaging, layering, and air of the HD800 which I personally to believe to be the best for symphonic pieces.  I find myself having to turn up the volume a bit and it seems to lack the dynamic range that the HD800 handles so effortlessly.

Having said that, I still find them amazing headphones which work well with all genres.  I still enjoy them just as much for classical music especially paired with my WA7 but I am glad I have both headphones in my stable.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #8,433 of 12,748
Having just received the LCD-X, I would say it really excels with chamber music, especially string pieces.  It has very good imaging and coupled with the intimate sound makes it a joy to listen to.  My model seems to have a slight dip in the upper mids and a slight peak in the upper treble which makes piano notes a bit uneven but only really noticeable if I am looking for it.

The LCD-X definitely doesn't have the expansive soundstaging, layering, and air of the HD800 which I personally to believe to be the best for symphonic pieces.  I find myself having to turn up the volume a bit and it seems to lack the dynamic range that the HD800 handles so effortlessly.

Having said that, I still find them amazing headphones which work well with all genres.  I still enjoy them just as much for classical music especially paired with my WA7 but I am glad I have both headphones in my stable.

I agree with your assessment, but I do have points of difference.

Generally, I much prefer the LCD-X to the HD800. So much so, I don't really listen to he HD800 these days. However, if I'm going to listen to classical music, jazz, or acapella, and I have my choice between the two, I'd pick the HD800 every time.

These are the three styles of music that the LCD-X struggles with (although it does ok with acapella) and is unable to compete with the HD800.

As for the pairing of the LCD-X with the WA7, I don't think that's the best choice for the LCD-X. Having spent countless hours comparing the output of the WA7 with multiple options from the solid state power source, tube power source, and many types of tubes for both the power source and the amplifier, it's just not the ideal match. The best setup that I've found is tube power with Electroharmonix tubes and Electroharmonix with gold plated pins in the amp. Even with this setup, the amp produces a bass bump which is not what the LCD-X needs. It needs more air and better treble response, especially for classical music.

As for the best for symphonic pieces, until a month ago, I would have whole heartedly agreed that nothing was as good as the HD800/800S. And then the Utopia emerged. The Utopia is the best that I have heard. It bests the HD800 by having a more true sound stage (not bigger, more accurate), better bass response, better imaging, and a more accurate timbre. And not to be forgotten, it has none of the HD800's treble harshness.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #8,434 of 12,748

.  My model seems to have a slight dip in the upper mids and a slight peak in the upper treble which makes piano notes a bit uneven but only really noticeable if I am looking for it.

What's your preferred headphone for piano?

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #8,435 of 12,748
  What's your preferred headphone for piano?

Hard to say.  Both are equally amazing in their own right.

LCD-X has the body which I really enjoy adding weightier notes for those times I want to listen to emotive or romantic pieces.

HD800 has the timbre/tone advantage which makes piano sound much more realistic but sometimes too thin and polite.

Overall its a wash depending on what mood I am in.

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #8,436 of 12,748

Hard to say.  Both are equally amazing in their own right.

LCD-X has the body which I really enjoy adding weightier notes for those times I want to listen to emotive or romantic pieces.

HD800 has the timbre/tone advantage which makes piano sound much more realistic but sometimes too thin and polite.

Overall its a wash depending on what mood I am in.

I meant your all-time favorite. HE-6 is good, as is K1000, but I wonder whether I'm really after something electrostatic. Saw a baby orpheus for 2300 on the classifieds last weekend.

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #8,437 of 12,748

I meant your all-time favorite. HE-6 is good, as is K1000, but I wonder whether I'm really after something electrostatic. Saw a baby orpheus for 2300 on the classifieds last weekend.

Sadly I don't have much experience with electrostatics.  The best for classical for the headphones I have used extensively would definitely be the HD800 paired with a tube amp.

However, I was also very impressed with the HE1000 when I demoed it.

I also hear the Utopia is very well regarded and might possibly be one of the best headphones in the market if you are willing to pony up the cash.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #8,438 of 12,748

I would hope Audeze has enough sense to not try to make them sound like the HD800. My 2014 LCD-X has a lot less faults than my HD800. I would not call the HD800 neutral at all. It's a very bright headphone.

I still regularly listen to the LCD-X, not so much the HD800.

I own both, and it's all about the upstream rig for the HD800.  I was disappointed in them until I upgraded to the GMB and Bryston BHA-1.  Now even rock music sounds good on the HD800 - they do have bass! - while they still retain the superb soundstage and midrange.  The upgraded DAC also tamed down the treble and improved instrument clarity.

The LCD-X were my first "real" headphones, and I love them.  Have two sets:  2013 and 2015.  They sound about the same - superb.

Rock on!
RCB

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #8,439 of 12,748
Just sold my LCD-3F and am listening to my LCD-X. Boy, am I ever happy with my decision. Long live the LCD-X.

I *love* my HD800 (Superdupont) though. However if I had to pick one, the LCD-X would be it - less source picky, less power consumption, etc.

Just for the sake of variety, are any other cans that have a similar sound signature?

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #8,440 of 12,748
Just sold my LCD-3F and am listening to my LCD-X. Boy, am I ever happy with my decision. Long live the LCD-X.

I *love* my HD800 (Superdupont) though. However if I had to pick one, the LCD-X would be it - less source picky, less power consumption, etc.

Just for the sake of variety, are any other cans that have a similar sound signature?

What led you to that decision to choose the X over the 3?

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #8,441 of 12,748
What led you to that decision to choose the X over the 3?

Really, personally speaking, I couldn't think of one tangible thing I preferred on the 3F. Sure, it may have a bigger soundstage than the X, but I felt like I was listening to music in a bigger room filled with cigar smoke.

For me, the X is the perfect cross section between neutral and pleasant. The 3F... sounded like single malt Scotch, candle light, fine cigars, sweater vests, and leather armchairs.

There isn't one reason I'd pick the 3F over the X other than variety for variety's sake. Your mileage may vary.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #8,442 of 12,748
I've been watching the LCD-Xs in the classifieds for a while, but haven't yet seen one with microsuede (I'm a vegetarian). Coming from the HE-6 world, where the vegan pads are the second coming, the strong preference for leather is a little odd. Or maybe people with microsuede LCD-Xs just never sell them?

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #8,443 of 12,748
I've been watching the LCD-Xs in the classifieds for a while, but haven't yet seen one with microsuede (I'm a vegetarian). Coming from the HE-6 world, where the vegan pads are the second coming, the strong preference for leather is a little odd. Or maybe people with microsuede LCD-Xs just never sell them?
Mine are the vegan pads - not a choice, just happened upon a pair with them - and I think they're great. I wonder how much they have to do with this magic sound I'm hearing.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #8,444 of 12,748

I am still breaking in my new Ether Flow, but expect them to fall somewhere between the LCD-X and HD800.  Detailed impressions are posted over on the Ether Flow threads.

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #8,445 of 12,748
Would love to hear some vegan/leather A/Bing of the earpads?

EDIT: Is the vegan headband any more/less comfortable than the leather headband?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back