Audeze LCD-X
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #8,356 of 12,748
There are over 300 pages from hundreds of audiophiles on this thread, and not even one single instance of that happening.   
Take a wild guess why not.

Everyone likes to feel like they're in constant danger online.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #8,358 of 12,748
I'd like to go back and do the follow up on the newly installed 2016 driver on my LCD X.

Recently, my 2013 LCD X died and I have sent it for a repair. It came back just yesterday and I am happy to let you guys know that this by far is the best sounding LCD X I have ever heard period.

I was worry for a while that the sound is going to be too bright and loosing those warm and seductive character that Audeze excels for but in this case, well at least my case I found it to be untrue.

The original sound of the 2013 was pretty warm and on the darker side of neutral which I love. I posted my freq graph earlier in this forum compared to my other 2015 LCD X which was way brighter and almost hollow and distant sounding. The newly 2016 driver sits between these two. It adds a bit more upper mid range that was missing from the 2013 and it opens up the highs just a little for more air and sparkles but without adding brightness. I hear no sibilance, spikes or harshness in the upper mids as well as the highs. They trebles are now very detailed and well controlled. The tonality is now more balance and the transition from mids-upper mids and highs is seamless. Bass respond is about the same and the addition of the upper mids makes the sound even more faster and punchier, you can hear the attack of the snare drums, percussions and high tone perc such as tamborines, triangles and maracas with much better and clearer image.

When I played some old classical recording, old rock & roll such as Eagles' Hotel Cali it sounded a little too dark and muffled before but now they sound just right and airy.

Overall, I am very happy with the sound improvements of the new driver plus the I found an excellent cables to bring it to the next level. It sounds so good it curbs my "want" of getting another phones like Flow or Elear.

LCD X 2016 Rocks ! 
gs1000.gif

Imac>Amarra/Spotify>optical out>Yulong D200>Liquid Carbon SE/Bal

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #8,359 of 12,748
  for normal, fragile or problematic neck, i'm sure it can be, even too much clamping is dangerous since it can block nerves to the head..

for headphone it also depends on the weight distribution.. since the magnet are on the sides it create a pull down when you move your neck..

if your listening to electronic beats.. your always moving your heads on the beats so....

so yeah pretty uncomfortable for anything other than couch music..

HD800s at 320g is something i would prefer for sure.. anything over that is risky for me, comfort wise.. the headband design can help but there is limits..

I agree the LCD-X with the original headband were unstable.  Very much so.  I couldn't bop at all.
Therefore, the upgrade to the carbon-fiber headbands.  I know it's ~$200 but it is well worth it, if you wanna bop your head around while listening.  This headband makes the X much more stable on your head and makes the cans feel lighter, too, because the weight is more evenly distributed.  Highly recommended - will improve your listening experience!

FWIW,
RCB

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #8,360 of 12,748
I just joined the 2016 LCD-X club.

Mine were made in April 2016.  Coming from Hifiman HE-560 (which, when amped via speaker taps ala the HE-6 I feel is the BEST sub $1000 set of cans you have never heard) AND a brief stint with a December 2015 pair of Aluminum LCD-2. 

Let me just say, the LCD-2 isn't really in the same league.  I sold the LCD-2.  Was regretful that I did, which is why I bought the LCD-X when it came available from a forum member at a great price.  If the LCD-2 had sounded like this, I never, never would have even thought about selling it. 

Without getting into the LCD-2, I will say this pair of LCD-X is so well balanced and integrated.  Transitions from lower to upper registers are seamless.  Detail is abundant, there is plenty of spaciousness for things like classical music.  Any weaknesses I heard in the LCD-2, really don't seem to be here with the latest LCD-X.  

These are amazing headphones.  End game headphones for probably most of us.  I really can't come up with any weaknesses.  Again, the transitions between bass, mid and treble is so smooth.  Nothing stands out!  Detail is just about perfect, balancing between a bit too much and a bit too little forwardness.  Other than a touch of mid-range flavor, which I like, these are neutral cans as well.  

WOW.  I really can't say anymore.  I guess now I see what an extra 800 or so bucks gets you.  But you guys already knew that.  

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #8,361 of 12,748
  Can anyone comment on upgrading from lcd-2 2016 to lcd-x 2016, ive got a chance to do it but dont want to spend an extra $1k if its a 5% difference. Bass impact is also important to me but neutrality is also

I would say more than 5 percent!  I don't know that I could quantify it numerically like that.  But, I would imagine 5 percent difference is too little.  Based on my experience going from a december 2015 LCD-2 to the 2016 LCD-X, it is very noticeable... the difference that is.  Just a better headphone.  LCD-2 is great, though.  LCD-X, well, like I said in my previous post, seems like a possible end game headphone.  

Now maybe the 2016 LCD-2 is an upgrade from the December 2015 model.  

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #8,362 of 12,748
  Can anyone comment on upgrading from lcd-2 2016 to lcd-x 2016, ive got a chance to do it but dont want to spend an extra $1k if its a 5% difference. Bass impact is also important to me but neutrality is also

I can't compare a 2016 X but my 2015 X vs my 2015 2f was a huge difference.  The X exceeded the 2f in every category of performance.  Much , much more of a difference than 5%.  Also the Audeze line is discounted if you look hard and long enough.  I paid $435 more for the X than the 2f.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #8,363 of 12,748
  I can't compare a 2016 X but my 2015 X vs my 2015 2f was a huge difference.  The X exceeded the 2f in every category of performance.  Much , much more of a difference than 5%.  Also the Audeze line is discounted if you look hard and long enough.  I paid $435 more for the X than the 2f.

Same thing with me. When I got my X's, I took one listen to the 2F's and immediately put them up for sale.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #8,364 of 12,748
  Same thing with me. When I got my X's, I took one listen to the 2F's and immediately put them up for sale.

agreed!  I have had my LCD-X for several hours now, and been listening almost non stop.  I did have to take a break.  Need to get used to this weight.  It really can get fatiguing, especially the neck muscles.  

But the sound is RIDICULOUSLY good.  

I have heard a LOT of phones, but these 2016 revision LCD-X are just downright amazing.  I am actually stunned.  I never expected sound like this.  The LCD-2, as nice as it may be, did not prepare me for this.  This is beyond any of my expectations.  

Currently just using the headphone output of my Icon Audio Stereo 20 integrated amp.  Tubes right this second are a Mullard CV4004 from circa 1958, two Hytron 12AU7 Black Plates made by Philco/Lansdale dated 1951, and EL84 quad made in Poland, they are called Telam.  DAC is an iFi iDSD Micro.  

This combo ROCKS.  

WOW.  

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #8,365 of 12,748
When I originally got my lcd-2f 2016, I was pretty much blown away. I had the pm-3 and bw p7 before but these were in an obvious class above in my opinion. Then I got the zmf omni based on reviews saying they were better than the lcd-2 and I like the omni but probably being a mostly closed headphone, didn't have that bit of airiness that I guess I really loved. And also omni sounded bassy and muddy until I took out the foam damping material. Taking it out added a lot of clarity and took out the thick bassiness. Then finally I got the LCD-X 2016 and it really was the best of all of them by a large margin. Without sounding bassy, the bass really hits hard and super low and full. I listen to everything from jazz to indie to Norah jones to hip hop to electronica to classical to folk and rock. I'm really happy with the sound and the only thing making me look elsewhere is the weight. But I did order the carbon fiber to see if that will help, so we will see. To me, and I'm completely new to this, the LCD-X 2016 blows away any of the other ones I have tried so far. I do have the Ether Flows that I ordered blindly and I'm optimistic I will like them BUT I know for a fact I would miss the bass should I choose to sell the X.

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #8,367 of 12,748
When I originally got my lcd-2f 2016, I was pretty much blown away. I had the pm-3 and bw p7 before but these were in an obvious class above in my opinion. Then I got the zmf omni based on reviews saying they were better than the lcd-2 and I like the omni but probably being a mostly closed headphone, didn't have that bit of airiness that I guess I really loved. And also omni sounded bassy and muddy until I took out the foam damping material. Taking it out added a lot of clarity and took out the thick bassiness. Then finally I got the LCD-X 2016 and it really was the best of all of them by a large margin. Without sounding bassy, the bass really hits hard and super low and full. I listen to everything from jazz to indie to Norah jones to hip hop to electronica to classical to folk and rock. I'm really happy with the sound and the only thing making me look elsewhere is the weight. But I did order the carbon fiber to see if that will help, so we will see. To me, and I'm completely new to this, the LCD-X 2016 blows away any of the other ones I have tried so far. I do have the Ether Flows that I ordered blindly and I'm optimistic I will like them BUT I know for a fact I would miss the bass should I choose to sell the X.

@ cleandean

I did compared my LCD X before the 2016 upgrade ( it was darker and mellow back then ) with Ether Flow at the SF meet and I found that the Flow did have more vibrant and lively sound with details emerge through the surface. Now with 2016 upgrade I feel pretty confident LCD X will come really close or if not better especially in the low end region. Plus, if you live in US I could lend you an amazing sets of cables that I personally crafted to  enhance the audeze headphone experience. I am really interested in your opinion of Ether Flow vs 2016 LCD X with my cables. I think you'll be blown away. Let me know if you are interested 
wink_face.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #8,368 of 12,748
  @ cleandean

I did compared my LCD X before the 2016 upgrade ( it was darker and mellow back then ) with Ether Flow at the SF meet and I found that the Flow did have more vibrant and lively sound with details emerge through the surface. Now with 2016 upgrade I feel pretty confident LCD X will come really close or if not better especially in the low end region. Plus, if you live in US I could lend you an amazing sets of cables that I personally crafted to  enhance the audeze headphone experience. I am really interested in your opinion of Ether Flow vs 2016 LCD X with my cables. I think you'll be blown away. Let me know if you are interested 
wink_face.gif

I've got the original X.  Would love to compare it vs the 2016 X if possible and your cables.  I live in Atlanta.

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #8,369 of 12,748
  @ cleandean

wink_face.gif

Thanks for the very kind offer!  Although I don't think my bank account can survive any additional sound quality.

Thanks for providing your comparisons with the two, what are your thoughts on airiness and soundstage between the two?

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #8,370 of 12,748
First, LCD X and Ether Flow are two different sounding headphones to me. Audeze line will always has this warm, seductive and addictive quality with bass slam which no other headphone in its class able to reproduce. While Ether Flow seem to focus on detail retrievals and clarity. They both have sound stage and air but being presented in their own ways. As far as I remember, the Flow seem to have more air, cleaner and more vibrant with bass response that is better than it's little "sister" Ether but still not to the level of slam and weight that LCD X has. LCD X still has this fuller and weightier and more body to the sound. Both are really excellent it's just a matter of taste at this point.

A strong reason why you should get Flow instead on X is the weight differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back