Audeze LCD-X
Sep 3, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #8,371 of 12,748
  First, LCD X and Ether Flow are two different sounding headphones to me. Audeze line will always has this warm, seductive and addictive quality with bass slam which no other headphone in its class able to reproduce. While Ether Flow seem to focus on detail retrievals and clarity. They both have sound stage and air but being presented in their own ways. As far as I remember, the Flow seem to have more air, cleaner and more vibrant with bass response that is better than it's little "sister" Ether but still not to the level of slam and weight that LCD X has. LCD X still has this fuller and weightier and more body to the sound. Both are really excellent it's just a matter of taste at this point.

A strong reason why you should get Flow instead on X is the weight differences.

When I had a pair of LCD-2 Fazor from late 2015 my reservations about them were the too dark and distant (for me) treble and the weight after long listening sessions.  

Now with the LCD-X the only reservation I have is the weight.  

I have read that you get used to it after time.  For me, the worst part of it is fatigue in my lower rear neck muscles and upper shoulders.  

I wish I could brush it off as a small issue for me.  If it were not for this crazy good sound I don't think i would be keeping these.  But the sound is WORTH getting used to the weight.  

I want to hear the Ether flow, though.  I do value air and vibrancy.  The LCD-X has enough, actually it sound quite well balanced overall.  But sometimes I like the fun factor of a really vibrant, texture filled 'airy' listening experience.  Must be the audiophile in me... 

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #8,372 of 12,748
My tip to you is get something like an Ekornes Stressless or an Ikea Poang Chair.  Lean back against the headrest and enjoy.

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #8,373 of 12,748
Quick question..

I have done a search but not really finding the answer

Is it normal for LCD headphones to suffer from something like the Stax fart?  

When I just put these LCD-X back on, as the headphone was sealing against my head, it sounds like the driver membrane crinkles or pops.  

No problems once they are sealed, but if you increase the pressure by pushing them into the sides of your head a bit too much, they pop.

It doesn't sound like there is a problem when playing.  All sounds fine.  My understanding is there really are never any driver issues other than actual failure.  It it works, well, it works.  When they have a problem, they go out completely.  Right?

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #8,374 of 12,748

When I had a pair of LCD-2 Fazor from late 2015 my reservations about them were the too dark and distant (for me) treble and the weight after long listening sessions.  

Now with the LCD-X the only reservation I have is the weight.  

I have read that you get used to it after time.  For me, the worst part of it is fatigue in my lower rear neck muscles and upper shoulders.  

I wish I could brush it off as a small issue for me.  If it were not for this crazy good sound I don't think i would be keeping these.  But the sound is WORTH getting used to the weight.  

I want to hear the Ether flow, though.  I do value air and vibrancy.  The LCD-X has enough, actually it sound quite well balanced overall.  But sometimes I like the fun factor of a really vibrant, texture filled 'airy' listening experience.  Must be the audiophile in me... 

I thought they were a tad heavy at first. But I found I got used to them very quickly. Compare them to a full helmet for riding a motorcycle and they are actually pretty light. Within a week I had built up to being able to wear them the whole business day. 

The weight is a much less big deal than people make it out to be. Just give yourself some time and you''ll be easily used to them.

And if not, sell them. But nothing has that incredible LCD-X sound that I've found.

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #8,375 of 12,748
If I get them, I think, short of Stax, my desktop collection will be basically complete (#n90q). Something less of a headache than he6 to have impactful bass.

Hahaha jk this is headfi, collection will never be complete.

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #8,376 of 12,748
Quick question..

When I just put these LCD-X back on, as the headphone was sealing against my head, it sounds like the driver membrane crinkles or pops.  

No problems once they are sealed, but if you increase the pressure by pushing them into the sides of your head a bit too much, they pop.

It doesn't sound like there is a problem when playing.  All sounds fine.  My understanding is there really are never any driver issues other than actual failure.  It it works, well, it works.  When they have a problem, they go out completely.  Right?

I'm a bit confused when you say you're getting a seal. Since these are open-back, you can't get a seal as I normally think of it.

Is it something in the ear pads that's crinkling or popping?

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #8,377 of 12,748
@ cleandean

I did compared my LCD X before the 2016 upgrade ( it was darker and mellow back then ) with Ether Flow at the SF meet and I found that the Flow did have more vibrant and lively sound with details emerge through the surface. Now with 2016 upgrade I feel pretty confident LCD X will come really close or if not better especially in the low end region. Plus, if you live in US I could lend you an amazing sets of cables that I personally crafted to  enhance the audeze headphone experience. I am really interested in your opinion of Ether Flow vs 2016 LCD X with my cables. I think you'll be blown away. Let me know if you are interested :wink_face:
but alternate cables make no sonic difference. The only scenario in which they can make a difference is when replacing a cable that has a audible fault such as loose wires or no sound.

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #8,378 of 12,748
I'm a bit confused when you say you're getting a seal. Since these are open-back, you can't get a seal as I normally think of it.

He's talking about the seal around the ears. Other people have had issues with this before on the LCD series. It's also been a big issue with the EL-8 series. I had to get mine replaced it was so distracting.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #8,379 of 12,748

He's talking about the seal around the ears. Other people have had issues with this before on the LCD series. It's also been a big issue with the EL-8 series. I had to get mine replaced it was so distracting.

But as far as I've read, it's not a major threat to the HP.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #8,380 of 12,748

I think I understand what you mean, but I don't see how that kind of a seal will impact the diaphragm. You won't be able to create any kind of vacuum pull that may impact the diaphragm since it's open in the back.

Did you figure out where the noise was coming from in your EL-8?

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #8,381 of 12,748

I think I understand what you mean, but I don't see how that kind of a seal will impact the diaphragm. You won't be able to create any kind of vacuum pull that may impact the diaphragm since it's open in the back.

Did you figure out where the noise was coming from in your EL-8?

It has something to do with an air pressure on the diaphragm. I think it's worse on the EL-8 series because of how well the cups seal. My issue wasn't so much the crinkling sound, but when I turned my head while wearing the EL-8ti's, I got this horrible imbalance. Never had that with any headphone, including a lot of planars. Here's a few posts talking about it on various Audeze:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782442/audeze-lcd-4/2010#post_12171396
http://www.head-fi.org/t/764120/fatal-flaw-with-audeze-el-8/45#post_11932596
http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard/135#post_12558341
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684394/audeze-lcd-x/7035#post_11974444

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #8,382 of 12,748
  It has something to do with an air pressure on the diaphragm. I think it's worse on the EL-8 series because of how well the cups seal. My issue wasn't so much the crinkling sound, but when I turned my head while wearing the EL-8ti's, I got this horrible imbalance. Never had that with any headphone, including a lot of planars. Here's a few posts talking about it on various Audeze:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782442/audeze-lcd-4/2010#post_12171396
http://www.head-fi.org/t/764120/fatal-flaw-with-audeze-el-8/45#post_11932596
http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard/135#post_12558341
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684394/audeze-lcd-x/7035#post_11974444

The first and last link do a good job of explaining the phenomena.
Thanks @heliosphann. I've met my quota for learning something new today.
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #8,383 of 12,748
  Quick question..

I've had this on my LCD-3s that I had briefly.  I hear something minor on my LCD-Xs but it's minimal compared to what I heard on the LCD-3s.  When the LCD-4s came out, it made the sound and since the diaphragm is so thin on those, Audeze added a thin, porous material to vent between the cushion and the cup which eliminated it in the most recent revision.  My understanding is that it's normal and doesn't pose a risk, but it takes two minutes to drop an e-mail to Audeze to confirm.  Good luck!

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #8,384 of 12,748
First, LCD X and Ether Flow are two different sounding headphones to me. Audeze line will always has this warm, seductive and addictive quality with bass slam which no other headphone in its class able to reproduce. While Ether Flow seem to focus on detail retrievals and clarity. They both have sound stage and air but being presented in their own ways. As far as I remember, the Flow seem to have more air, cleaner and more vibrant with bass response that is better than it's little "sister" Ether but still not to the level of slam and weight that LCD X has. LCD X still has this fuller and weightier and more body to the sound. Both are really excellent it's just a matter of taste at this point.

A strong reason why you should get Flow instead on X is the weight differences.

Thanks so much for this detailed comparison. I've been looking for this for a long while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back