Audeze LCD-X
Apr 12, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #6,406 of 12,748
  Just wondering...does anyone know if the thieves who broke into the Audez'e warehouse have been caught?

I don't think so. Hopefully they get caught and tortured Guantanamo style by forcing them to listen non-stop to 96 kbps recordings through Beats powered by a Pono player.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #6,408 of 12,748
Actually, i tried lcd x with wa5le and custom tube (woo audio original tube is not good for me)
It can drive lcd x VERY GOOD

Now, i just look for cheaper one :) because i need more budget to buy another amp for stax, thats why i cant go too much to buy expensive amp for lcd x :)

I tried several amp with lcd x, but i think the good one is wa5le and wa6se. Of course with custom tube which cost a lot ...

My friend used leben with abyss... Yes it sounds very good :) it cost a lot also

A local dealer told me he has tried to pair WA5 with LCD2 before and the combination was rather disappointing. He would prefer the WA6SE instead..

The WA6SE produces beautiful sound with the LCD-X. But it's not transparant & natural enough for me.. The Leben is (but the CS600 is rather expensive). Been wondering if the little brother CS300XS give equal performance..

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #6,409 of 12,748
A local dealer told me he has tried to pair WA5 with LCD2 before and the combination was rather disappointing. He would prefer the WA6SE instead..

The WA6SE produces beautiful sound with the LCD-X. But it's not transparant & natural enough for me.. The Leben is (but the CS600 is rather expensive). Been wondering if the little brother CS300XS give equal performance..

i have lcd2f (barely use it)
wa5 and lcd 2 sounds very good in my ears :) much better than wa6se

of course i change the tube "kit" because the tube from woo audio is not good enough :)

leben is too expensive if just to combine with lcd 2 in my opinion :) leben with abyss is good (direct from speaker output) using DIY cable connector

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #6,410 of 12,748

Exception of Joseph Grado's, none of Grado headphones are made for accuracy anyway, even Alessandro flavored ones. PS1000 is maybe the best Grado, but it is hardly even great headphones when faced against actual competition.

Thought I'd bump the comment as it so closely matched my own opinion Grado's. Sorry if it comes across a little childish:

Got to trial the ps1000e's and gs1000e's recently before I'd ever heard the Audeze line. 

Thought they both sounded great... Then I listened to the LCD3'S/X'S and thought - ''Woah. Grado sure do overcharge for their flagships''

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #6,411 of 12,748
Have you looked at Tyll's Grado measurements?  Yikes.  But yeah, as has basically already been said, they're made for fun, not for accuracy.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #6,412 of 12,748
Currently trying to figure out a good warmer amp to pair with my LCD-X. Currently have the Oppo HA-1 but found the pairing was much too bright and fatiguing with the X. Originally had the Sound Blaster X7 and liked the pairing, but had other non-sound-related issues with that DAC/amp combo.

Bought a Bifrost Uber which arrived yesterday, but also found that a bit bright feeding only the HA-1's amp, although it's a bit better than using the Sabre-DAC section of the Oppo, which leads me to believe it's also the amp on the HA-1 contributing to the brightness.

Any suggestions on a warmer amp? I did a long search on this thread and found some impressions of the Schiit Lyr 2. I've noticed quite a few people in this thread are using the Lyr 2 + LCD-X pairing and liking it, while others did not like the combo at all (without quite explaining why). Any thoughts on the Asgard 2? Really looking for something with a warmer sound sig that tames the upper mids and treble a bit and provide a warmer sig. Or maybe I just need to upgrade to the LCD-3?

Hoping to keep the price below $800 and I do need variable volume preamp outs on the amp for feeding my powered Emotiva desktop monitors when I'm not using headphones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #6,413 of 12,748
 Currently trying to figure out a good warmer amp to pair with my LCD-X. Currently have the Oppo HA-1 but found the pairing was much too bright and fatiguing with the X. Originally had the Sound Blaster X7 and liked the pairing, but had other non-sound-related issues with that DAC/amp combo.

Bought a Bifrost Uber which arrived yesterday, but also found that a bit bright feeding only the HA-1's amp, although it's a bit better than using the Sabre-DAC section of the Oppo, which leads me to believe it's also the amp on the HA-1 contributing to the brightness.

Any suggestions on a warmer amp? I did a long search on this thread and found some impressions of the Schiit Lyr 2. I've noticed quite a few people in this thread are using the Lyr 2 + LCD-X pairing and liking it, while others did not like the combo at all (without quite explaining why). Any thoughts on the Asgard 2? Really looking for something with a warmer sound sig that tames the upper mids and treble a bit and provide a warmer sig. Or maybe I just need to upgrade to the LCD-3?

Hoping to keep the price below $800 and I do need variable volume preamp outs on the amp for feeding my powered Emotiva desktop monitors when I'm not using headphones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am using my LCD-X with a Bifrost Uber and Lyr 2. The entire system sounds fantastic. I can't speak for anyone who didn't like the X paired with a Lyr 2, but I can say that you can dial in the exact sound you want by rolling tubes. I am currently using '75 Russian tubes that sound superb. 'Nuff said.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #6,414 of 12,748

I am using my LCD-X with a Bifrost Uber and Lyr 2. The entire system sounds fantastic. I can't speak for anyone who didn't like the X paired with a Lyr 2, but I can say that you can dial in the exact sound you want by rolling tubes. I am currently using 375 Russian tubes that sound superb. 'Nuff said.

This is very true about the tubes being able to modify the sound of the Lyr 2. Did you find the sound signature of the Lyr 2 with the stock tubes to be fairly neutral with any treble aggressiveness?

Also, a note of warning to everyone, do not google "375 Russian tubes" as you get a lot of results that aren't exactly work friendly. 
eek.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #6,415 of 12,748

I am using my LCD-X with a Bifrost Uber and Lyr 2. The entire system sounds fantastic. I can't speak for anyone who didn't like the X paired with a Lyr 2, but I can say that you can dial in the exact sound you want by rolling tubes. I am currently using 375 Russian tubes that sound superb. 'Nuff said.

This is very true about the tubes being able to modify the sound of the Lyr 2. Did you find the sound signature of the Lyr 2 with the stock tubes to be fairly neutral with any treble aggressiveness?

Also, a note of warning to everyone, do not google "375 Russian tubes" as you get a lot of results that aren't exactly work friendly. 
eek.gif

I found the tubes that come stock with the Lyr 2 to sound tubby and congested. I was not impressed when I fired up my new amp! However, the Schiit Tube Rollers forum is an invaluable source of great tube info: Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers That's where I located various expert opinions and sources for tubes, and the rest is happy history.

Incidentally, I initially was going to opt for an Asgard 2. But after doing some research, I learned that the Lyr 2 would be the better choice due to its greater power output and sound-shaping qualities. Besides, it looks cool. 
dt880smile.png

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #6,416 of 12,748
Thanks for the great recommendations, crixnet!

Anyone else with experiences or impressions of the Lyr 2 and the LCD-X?

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #6,419 of 12,748
  Thanks for the great recommendations, crixnet!

Anyone else with experiences or impressions of the Lyr 2 and the LCD-X?

I have that combination with stock tubes. It works well. Lyr 2 is definitely a warmer amplifier (in my mind) and pairs well with the "brighter" dac of the bifrost (a touch brighter than neutral in my view, I know some people have differing opinions).

I also have the WA7 which has a warm, pleasing sound, but at its cost and given the fact you already have a high-end dac, the dac component would be a downgrade and the overall costs of the item is quite high for just amplifier usage compared to the rest of the market.

Another good recommendation for tube rolling would be the Project Ember. More versatile with tube options and cheaper without having to get matched tubes if that is something you are into.

edit: I don't think the stock tubes are lacking or congested from my direct comparisons against solid state amplifiers. However, it is true that you can 'upgrade' the sound with more expensive tubes. Whether the sonic upgrades are worth the monetary investment would be a personal opinion.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #6,420 of 12,748
  I have that combination with stock tubes. It works well. Lyr 2 is definitely a warmer amplifier (in my mind) and pairs well with the "brighter" dac of the bifrost (a touch brighter than neutral in my view, I know some people have differing opinions).

I also have the WA7 which has a warm, pleasing sound, but at its cost and given the fact you already have a high-end dac, the dac component would be a downgrade and the overall costs of the item is quite high for just amplifier usage compared to the rest of the market.

Another good recommendation for tube rolling would be the Project Ember. More versatile with tube options and cheaper without having to get matched tubes if that is something you are into.

edit: I don't think the stock tubes are lacking or congested from my direct comparisons against solid state amplifiers. However, it is true that you can 'upgrade' the sound with more expensive tubes. Whether the sonic upgrades are worth the monetary investment would be a personal opinion.

Yeah I'm finding the Bifrost Uber is on par with the HA-1 in terms of being a brighter sound signature, with the Schiit being ever so slightly easy to listen to. There are very very minor differences between the AKM and the Sabre from what I can tell using the Oppo's amp, but they could very much be imagined as I strive to hear a difference.

Thanks very much for the endorsement of the Lyr 2. I'm tempted to press the "buy" button now to give it an audition. The kicker is that I love literally everything else about the Oppo which is why my problem with it feels a little silly. I'm even considering a move to the LCD-3 because I've grown so spoiled by the resolution, build quality, functionality and features of the Oppo. Damn these treble-sensitive ears of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back