Audeze LCD-X
Nov 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,411 of 12,748
Thanks for all your comments about amp pairing with the LCD-X. This next question will probably show you why I'm a Jr. Head-fier.
I was all set to order the Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack, until I read comments about how great the X sound with the Gungnir/Mjolnir stack. I understand the difference between the amps and the X are rated for 1-4W. However, I don't understand the difference between the two DACs. As the G/M stack is double the price of the B/A stack, I wanted to ask for a little more input. Is the G/M stack worth the extra money?
Thanks also for the comments about the Lyr amp...

All the Best -
RCBinTN

Gungnir/Mjolnir setup is so called 'balanced setup'.  Here is an excellent explanation : http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/balanced-drive-faq.php

I have a nice balanced setup with Onkyo, Dacmagic + beta22, only problem is I just cannot sense any difference against my single-ended setup, but others say/claim they do.
One thing to consider is that, Mjolnir do not have single-ended output. It means headphones that do not have balanced out (read: a lot of them without warranty-void recabling work) won't be usable with Mjolnir.
It means while LCD-X will work with Mjolnir, your Edition 8 won't.

Just go for fully upgraded Bifrost/Asgard 2 or equivalent performance discrete solid-state amp, as far as I concern there aren't much difference between fully-upgraded Bifrost and Gungnir except Bifrost is not balanced-output DAC, and Asgard 2 is really excellent even against higher-priced ones including Mjolnir itself.

I do have B/A2 combo myself now and I use it more than my balanced setup, since it is much easier/convenient to use.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,412 of 12,748
  Well...after about 3 weeks with these fantastic headphones, I've finally got around to publishing my own review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-x/reviews/9976

Yet another winner by Audeze IMHO and I couldn't recommend them any higher. 
smile.gif

Nice write up.  Thanks for the insights.  Although I don't own an LCD 3, I feel the X sounds much more neutral than the LCD 2 does.  I'm enjoying them very much.

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,413 of 12,748

Gungnir/Mjolnir setup is so called 'balanced setup'.  Here is an excellent explanation : http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/balanced-drive-faq.php

I have a nice balanced setup with Onkyo, Dacmagic + beta22, only problem is I just cannot sense any difference against my single-ended setup, but others say/claim they do.
One thing to consider is that, Mjolnir do not have single-ended output. It means headphones that do not have balanced out (read: a lot of them without warranty-void recabling work) won't be usable with Mjolnir.
It means while LCD-X will work with Mjolnir, your Edition 8 won't.

Just go for fully upgraded Bifrost/Asgard 2 or equivalent performance discrete solid-state amp, as far as I concern there aren't much difference between fully-upgraded Bifrost and Gungnir except Bifrost is not balanced-output DAC, and Asgard 2 is really excellent even against higher-priced ones including Mjolnir itself.

I do have B/A2 combo myself now and I use it more than my balanced setup, since it is much easier/convenient to use.

Thanks wnmnkh for the information.  I didn't understand the difference between a balanced and single-ended setup (a true Jr. Head-Fier).  Makes sense for me to go with the B/A2 combo as I do want to hear the Ed-8 properly driven by an amp.  I appreciate your help -

Best -
RCBinTN

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,414 of 12,748
Does anyone know of somewhere in San Francisco or the East Bay where I might be able to demo these?

Unfortunately Music Lovers in Pac Heights doesn't carry Audeze stuff at all (though it was great being able to audition a pair of HD800's there last week). 

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,415 of 12,748
  Does anyone know of somewhere in San Francisco or the East Bay where I might be able to demo these?

Unfortunately Music Lovers in Pac Heights doesn't carry Audeze stuff at all (though it was great being able to audition a pair of HD800's there last week). 

Audio High in Mountain View carries Audeze, but I don't think they have any LCD-X's in stock yet.  You might try calling them to find out, though.  I auditioned my LCD-2's there, but bought the LCD-X without having heard them.  I'm not regretting the decision.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,418 of 12,748
Thanks for the review!!! I agree 100%

I am interesting in getting lcd-x but might just keep the 3s since im happy with them and my other headphones hd 800, t1, and he-6 might be too similar sounding.

I prefer the x bass over the 3, but the lcd-3 have a different sound over my other headphones and might be better for me.

Between the 2, they are as equally impressive to my ears

For those of us maintaining a stable of high-end headphones I really appreciate the sentiment here. I don't think these can hold a place amongst my collection, but I'm very keen to hear them for myself.

Excellent review Macedonianhero, thanks.

Nice write up.  Thanks for the insights.  Although I don't own an LCD 3, I feel the X sounds much more neutral than the LCD 2 does.  I'm enjoying them very much.

Thanks all!

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,419 of 12,748
Do you know if Sound Earphones will be going a sale again soon? I've tried e-mailing them to ask but they wouldn't say. I would hate to buy these and then know I could have saved 20% by holding out a little while longer. Holding out sucks though!

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #1,420 of 12,748
  Ah nice, thanks for the heads up. I may just end up blind-buying them as well, but I'm holding out at least for a little bit in hopes that Sound Earphones does another 20% off gift card sale. 

I was going to do the same thing, but my resolve weakened and crumbled. If you've heard (and liked) the LCD-2 or LCD-3, I think the LCD-X is a safe bet.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,421 of 12,748
Wonder if they will do any sale before Christmas? Not likely though seeing as they are brand new.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,423 of 12,748
  Wonder if they will do any sale before Christmas? Not likely though seeing as they are brand new.

There are already some good deals popping up on other headphones.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Sound Earphones offer 20% off on gift certificates or some similar deals from other vendors. The question is whether Audeze will be included or if there's a price limit.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,424 of 12,748
Yeah, i guess "sale" wasn't the right word, more or less hoping they do the 20% off gift card deal again and that that Audeze are not excluded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back