Audeze LCD-X
Dec 25, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #7,306 of 12,748
Speaking of scotch and EDM, this list is keeping me up on Christmas Eve..After finally having burned in my Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

Streaming through Tidal HIFI, just.....so.....good.

http://www.capitalxtra.com/xplore/lists/most-uplifting-edm-riffs/

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #7,307 of 12,748

The Mjolnir 2 is so good with the X. The LISST isn't my most ideal option but the OG's with it makes the X sound super nice and smooth. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #7,308 of 12,748
I experienced that same issue (problems with the single end jack playing only left OR right).  Ended buying a balanced HP amp (Violectric V281) and used the balanced cord.  Problem solved.  If you don't want balanced, you should definitely request a replacement.  At the price of the X everything should be working as expected.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #7,309 of 12,748
  Speaking of scotch and EDM, this list is keeping me up on Christmas Eve..After finally having burned in my Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

Streaming through Tidal HIFI, just.....so.....good.

http://www.capitalxtra.com/xplore/lists/most-uplifting-edm-riffs/

Good stuff... thanks for sharing!

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #7,310 of 12,748
Just got my XC. Sound impressions are pending, but man is the headband system a massive downgrade from the EL-8 lol (might also be the earpads but dunno yet). I have a perfect seal/fit with the EL-8 but the XC feels like it's just flopped on my head (the headband design doesn't help the bottom of the cups to push/seal against your head, I can easily fit a finger or two in the gap left).

Are there any headband replacements/mods that help with fit?

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #7,311 of 12,748
  Just got my XC. Sound impressions are pending, but man is the headband system a massive downgrade from the EL-8 lol (might also be the earpads but dunno yet). I have a perfect seal/fit with the EL-8 but the XC feels like it's just flopped on my head (the headband design doesn't help the bottom of the cups to push/seal against your head, I can easily fit a finger or two in the gap left).

Are there any headband replacements/mods that help with fit?

PM sent.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #7,312 of 12,748
The XC does a poor job of isolating for a closed can...the Ether C is far better at isolating and far more comfortable and to my ears sounds better...FWIIW

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #7,313 of 12,748
Still don't have much to say about the XC sound (only have an HA-2 @ 200mW to use at the moment which isn't really enough to bring either headphone truly alive). Isolation is a big step down from the EL-8 though. A LOT more sound gets in (due to the poor fit). I'd try putting the XC cups on the EL-8 headband but I don't think they're available for separate purchase anyway (and I'm not going to eat the cost of an EL-8 just for a better fitting XC lol).

If I do decide to keep the XC I can already see the need to purchase another headband from somewhere (hopefully that will take care of the fit/isolation). Dunno where that journey will take me though. 
confused.gif

Before anyone mentions the new LCD-4 headband, it shouldn't change fit since it still uses the same yoke rod system. It'll be mostly a comfort/cosmetic upgrade IMO.

EDIT: Actually I discovered a couple issues that, after "fixing" them, has made the fit much better (isolation has improved but is still less than the EL-8).

First, this tab was bent on one cup letting it tilt further away from my head than it should. I bent it back to a straight orientation (as it should be).

Second, I increased the angle of the tabs that the yoke rods attach to. This increased the pressure the headband puts on the cups, making a much better seal (and eliminating a gap I had at the bottom of the cups between the earpad and my head).

(crappy MS Paint rendition of the change in angle lol)
So far it's had a positive effect on the overall sound (and helped isolation a bit). 
beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #7,315 of 12,748
After a bit more flexing/bending the headband sits flat on my head (as it should) and the cups fully seal around my ears properly. Isolation still isn't perfect (there's no way to make this headband design clamp down more on the earpads) but the modifications have helped my first impressions greatly (from a bit frustrated to just a tad uncomfortable due to the thin headband padding). For anyone with fit issues I wouldn't be afraid of bending the little tabs that the yoke rods attach to. The paint may chip off of them a bit but the metal seems to be able to take the bending with little fuss. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #7,316 of 12,748
if one is looking for a closed can the ether c is the way to go......outstanding sounding.....light comfortable and excellent isolation......FWIIW

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #7,317 of 12,748
Just want to share with everyone that I recently purchased the LCD-4s, and I don't think I'll be keeping them after the 30-day trial.  The 4s are definitely the more euphonic LCD-3 type of sound.  The X's sound signature has grown on me and I'm having to try way to hard to find substantial technical improvement over the X.  I think the 4s are fun and the Xs are more 'real'.  The moral of the story is enjoy the X, it's superb.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #7,318 of 12,748
  Just want to share with everyone that I recently purchased the LCD-4s, and I don't think I'll be keeping them after the 30-day trial.  The 4s are definitely the more euphonic LCD-3 type of sound.  The X's sound signature has grown on me and I'm having to try way to hard to find substantial technical improvement over the X.  I think the 4s are fun and the Xs are more 'real'.  The moral of the story is enjoy the X, it's superb.

Could you elaborate more on what the tonal differences between both are, as well as things like bass speed, aridness and soundstage?

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #7,319 of 12,748
  if one is looking for a closed can the ether c is the way to go......outstanding sounding.....light comfortable and excellent isolation......FWIIW

Now that I have the XC I'm looking forward to doing a comparison with the Ether C. I was able to get my XC for $1000 though, so I might end up waiting for some Ether C's to go on sale used. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back