Audeze LCD-X ear pads improvements
Feb 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 51
  I don't think so as I said when I used normal spongy material it also create the same space and distance but the clarity and soundstaging is much better when using Neoprene rubber sheeting. I can hear a big difference of SQ between the two material. 

There are two factors in pad stuffing, most people use stiffer materials such as cotton and foam (first time I've ever heard of anyone use rubber though). Most of the clarity you're hearing comes from stiffing the pads, and the increase in sound stage is actually an increase at around 14k to 16k, where you would experience the airiness in a recording. There may be a damping effect, but at most the change would be an bump at 1 or 2 k.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 51
  There are two factors in pad stuffing, most people use stiffer materials such as cotton and foam (first time I've ever heard of anyone use rubber though). Most of the clarity you're hearing comes from stiffing the pads, and the increase in sound stage is actually an increase at around 14k to 16k, where you would experience the airiness in a recording. There may be a damping effect, but at most the change would be an bump at 1 or 2 k.

Well, I am not an engineer and cannot give a very detailed explanation as to what causes this result.  BUT my ears told me that when I increase the ear and driver distance using a 5mm Neoprene rubber sheet in a form of a ring inserted underneath the original earpads I can hear a Big improvement in soundstaging and separation.  Hope someone can carry out the same mod and confirm the result.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 51
Neoprene Rubber Sheet mod, true? lol

Oh that sounds nice
wink_face.gif
.  I hope someone can also do the same and confirm the finding.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 51
Well, I went to my local True Value hardware store that also has a lot of scraps of assorted industrial surplus materials to buy. Found some 3/16" rubber sheet for cheap. When home I cut out 2 rings, 4"OD x 3"ID. They were impossible to install as is in my LCD-3s, so I split the ring to get each inside the earhole in the pad. I cut it on a bias to more easily install.

Installed them, turned on the system and sat back to evaluate.

Since I use a tube amp, it takes a while to fully warmup to have best SQ. In my system, voiced to my preferences, with the rubber rings installed, ultimately made the LCD-3 too dark for my taste.

Anyway, thanks for posting the mod, inter voice. I could imagine where this could have a better effect with the LCD-X, but I don't have mine anymore to compare. It was worth the 95 cents to try.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 51
Since I use a tube amp, it takes a while to fully warmup to have best SQ. In my system, voiced to my preferences, with the rubber rings installed, ultimately made the LCD-3 too dark for my taste.

Thanks for the try and feedback.  
I think the type of material used will have different effect to different LCDs.  When I used normal spongy material the effect was not big but using Neoprene Rubber Sheet the SQ is to my taste.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #24 of 51
Thanks for the try and feedback.  
I think the type of material used will have different effect to different LCDs.  When I used normal spongy material the effect was not big but using Neoprene Rubber Sheet the SQ is to my taste.

Thanks for originally posting this. It was a fun experiment to try, and invite others to try it too, to find if adds to their musical enjoyment.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #27 of 51
A pair of stiffer LCD2 pads that should do the same thing to this mod, because there's more space between your ears and the drivers.
I have one pair in mint condition for sales here, if any one interested please pm. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #28 of 51
I am very happy with the sonic quality of my LCD-X after the small modification I had done to my CANs. Though some people will like it while other may not which I believe depends on the frequency response of one's ears (age is a factor, elder people is less sensitive to HF or very low bass).

I am thinking if there is anything more I could do to improve further the LCD-X performance.  I noticed that the space between my ears and the drivers within the earpads have hard surfaces that might cause reflection of sound inside this small cavity.  I also note that inside most speakers there are sound absorbing material to get rid of internal reflections and vibrations.

With that in mind I made a circular ring of spongy and inserted it inside the earpads as shown in the uploaded photos.  A ring is used to ensure the sound from the driver can flow without restrictions to my ears.  After audition I found that the SQ is cleaner though it is not a day and night difference, yet I am sure of the positive outcome, in particular, there are audio improvement in musical separation and clarity.

Anyone can try it as it can be done easily without causing any damage to your LCD-X. If you find they are not at all useful just pull them out and dispose them off.  No harm done.

Remark:  Initially I used a circular shaped spongy to cover the driver but I found it made the overall SQ dull.  I also used a similar ring and inserted onto my HD800 but it did not work as it also made the SQ dull and veiled. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #29 of 51
As the weather is getting warm in the UK and I have just received a pair of vegan earpads from Audeze that I purchased from them directly.  The installation was relatively easy and it just took me 15 mins to complete the change.  The vegan earpads are very soft and comfortable to wear.  They are black in color and match well with  the color of LCD-X.  Here are the photos before and after the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back