Audeze LCD-4
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #121 of 12,031
That the LCD-4 is hand-built is interesting. Manual labour is expensive. Is this intended to be long-term. Does market research show there will be a steady order book or is this a 'statement product'.
So, these look cool and all, but sadly I'm priced out of this headphone market.

I've thrown more money into this hobby than I ever thought I would and while I've loved it, as some previous poster noted on a page or two back, "this feels like an arms race".  What was really great for me about this niche industry was the variety and affordability comparatively to full range speaker setups.

I hope these are great and more power to them if the industry can keep selling the increased prices.  Unfortunately I cannot keep up and am priced out of the high end.

Can follow bemoaning the increasing price trend of headphone audio, imitating speaker audio. You have lost me with being "out". What is "high end" cannot just be defined by the manufacturer rsp. If that is your yardstick then clearly the marketing psychologists have worked on you!

Other headphones remain available. Indeed some members bemoaning the ultra high-end releases in actuality own 3-to-5 still-quite-expensive headphones!

For a great deal of people they would be better served by building a system around the HD600 / HD650. Be happy. If you wish to invest in the game then avoid buying multiple headphones and demo carefully / selectively.

The ultra high-end is just window-shopping and escapism. Purchasing reserved for the well-heeled or crazy.

It is worth repeating: Audeze still sell other models. If you are upset by Audeze targeting a different type of consumer then simply vote with your wallet.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #122 of 12,031

LCD-3 already beats STAX 009's on the mid and low end - properly amped of course.  I'm thinking the LCD4 may beat it on higher frequencies as well.  IMHO of course  . . .
wink.gif

Sure that's your opinion, but the LCD-3 has a complete different tuning as the 009 - they are two different worlds. In reference natural sound, I easy can say the STAX 009 or 007 MKII are outperforms any Audeze headphone. All about personal taste and references. But a statement like "beats" are never valid in the headphone world, since every person has different opinion. But any way I really like the design of the new LCD-4 and personal from my experience of all Audeze I prefer currently the LCD-X.

You're right, "beats" is probably the wrong word.  "Audible" would be more correct.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #123 of 12,031
Creamy mids on a stick, this thread blew up while I was sleeping!

Where did you get the specs from?

The link to the original post by Jude containing the specs was provided earlier in this thread.

They're up on Audeze website now:

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-4

Also see the impressions thread (not that anyone has them yet): http://www.head-fi.org/t/782512/audeze-lcd-4-discussion-impressions

I enjoyed reading the description, especially this part:

"It outperforms any other in its class like electrostatics or dynamic driver headphones. The LCD-4 is the most advanced planar magnetic technology to date."

...Except, on the EL-8 page, it says this:

"The EL-8 features the world's most advanced planar magnetic technology with sound quality unheard of in this or any other price category."

rolleyes.gif

At least on the LCD-4 page, they specifically said that it outperforms electrostatics...but I highly doubt that. I mean, planar magnetics can easily outperform electrostats in certain categories, but all categories? I'll believe it when I hear it.

So, these look cool and all, but sadly I'm priced out of this headphone market.

I've thrown more money into this hobby than I ever thought I would and while I've loved it, as some previous poster noted on a page or two back, "this feels like an arms race".  What was really great for me about this niche industry was the variety and affordability comparatively to full range speaker setups.

I hope these are great and more power to them if the industry can keep selling the increased prices.  Unfortunately I cannot keep up and am priced out of the high end.

Also to the person saying the price increases will keep coming across the industry....possibly, but I feel like we're reaching a peak now or soon.  I mean aren't some of the main reasons people use hi-fi geared headphone setups in these price ranges because they either don't have room for a full-range speaker setup or can't bother/wake people late-night?  Once you're into these prices I think people just move to speakers...

Except those of us (like me!) who prefer headphones over speakers.
cool.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #125 of 12,031
Sep 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #126 of 12,031
These headphones look very nice, however till Audeze has proved it has improved on quality control, I will not start saving up for these cans. I would rather save up for a electrostatic amp and headphones. I will just kick back and wait for the hype to slow down and take in the impressions.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #128 of 12,031
finally, an affordable microphone for the masses! kudos to alex and sankar for making these available to us
at such an affordable price. and on top of that, they're giving two (2) microphones for the measly price of
a titanium vacuum cleaner with the optional vicuna covers). thank you and good night...

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #129 of 12,031
These headphones look very nice, however till Audeze has proved it has improved on quality control, I will not start saving up for these cans. I would rather save up for a electrostatic amp and headphones. I will just kick back and wait for the hype to slow down and take in the impressions.

Absolutely, I'll be waiting on reports about comfort and reliability for quite some time before trying these. I'd have serious doubts that there is a sufficient sonic upgrade to be worthwhile for me too.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #130 of 12,031
Sound interesting, with due allowance for marketing speak. I see they describe them as "these new Audeze microphones" at one point - or are they really releasing microphones as well?

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #131 of 12,031
I can't any info on it's weight.

I really hope It is lighter than the 2 3 or X. I sold my LCD-X because It was too UNconfortable and heavy for me.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #133 of 12,031
They will sound wonderful no doubt but I think Dr Fang will be celebrating more than Audeze (. Any chance of a price drop on LCD 3s)... can't wait for some full independent reviews. Put on my lottery list private island gold plated Ferrari...gold plated unicorn poo.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #134 of 12,031
Hi, can someone explain to me how the Odin, with a membrane 10 times thicker than the LCD-4 (8 micron (for Odin) versus 0.8 micrometers ? (for LCD-4)) and having a membrane surface a priori the same as the LCD-4 (50 cm²) (80 mm in diameter (for the Odin) versus 100x50 mm? (for LCD-4)), while having (a priori) less powerful magnets than the LCD-4 (NB: the LCD-4, according to this link : https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-4 , would have the strongest magnets in existence (1.5 Tesla) for a planar magnetic headphones).
So how can it have Odin sensitivity 4 dB higher than the LCD-4 (104 dB / 1 mW (for Odin) versus 100 dB / 1 mW (for LCD-4)) with a membrane 10 times as thick (and heavy?) than that of LCD-4 and a magnetic motor, a priori, less powerful (<1.5 Tesla?) than that of LCD-4 (1.5 Tesla) ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back