Audeze LCD-4
Sep 29, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #137 of 12,029
  Hi, can someone explain to me how the Odin, with a membrane 10 times thicker than the LCD-4 (8 micron (for Odin) versus 0.8 micrometers ? (for LCD-4)) and having a membrane surface a priori the same as the LCD-4 (50 cm²) (80 mm in diameter (for the Odin) versus 100x50 mm? (for LCD-4)), while having (a priori) less powerful magnets than the LCD-4 (NB: the LCD-4, according to this link : https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-4 , would have the strongest magnets in existence (1.5 Tesla) for a planar magnetic headphones).
So how can it have Odin sensitivity 4 dB higher than the LCD-4 (104 dB / 1 mW (for Odin) versus 100 dB / 1 mW (for LCD-4)) with a membrane 10 times as thick (and heavy?) than that of LCD-4 and a magnetic motor, a priori, less powerful (<1.5 Tesla?) than that of LCD-4 (1.5 Tesla) ??

The diaphragms, magnet arrays, and sensitivity are separate things. (The beyerdynamic T 1 has increased sensitivity despite its high impedance and magnetic flux density, for example.) For the specifics on all this, you would have to ask the designers.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #138 of 12,029

If we go by tradition then an LCD-5 would be $8k.  
biggrin.gif

8k doesn't sound right it's more likely to be $7995 because 8k will be hitting R10 status

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #139 of 12,029

The diaphragms, magnet arrays, and sensitivity are separate things. (The beyerdynamic T 1 has increased sensitivity despite its high impedance and magnetic flux density, for example.) For the specifics on all this, you would have to ask the designers.

For me, the most obvious answers (hypotheses) are: the magnetic field (in Tesla) between the magnets of the Odin is far more powerful than the magnetic field (1,5 Tesla) between the magnets of the LCD-4 and / or the mass of the membrane (diaphragm) of the LCD-4 (taking into account the weight of metallic tracks) is much higher than that would suggest its thickness "of nanometer order".

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #141 of 12,029
This does not look like they have tried to advance the technology and quality of headphone; it's more like they want to ride the wave to make big quick cash on head-fi lovers. Sorry, Audeze, there are plenty of good stuff that can be bought at 4k, e.g. HD800 plus HDVA 600 plus a good DAC and cable which I just did half way now.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #142 of 12,029
Guess what? You can now buy one on the Audeze website. 

Who's daring enough to buy sound unheard? Heck, I'm thinking about it but man that's a lot of dough. 

Plus, for me in California, the sales tax!..
angry_face.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #143 of 12,029
  How come my LCD-3s suddenly sound like crap? 
blink.gif

I have a hard time imagining the LCD-4 beating the LCD-3 in the ways the LCD-3 is said to beat the LCD-2.  That is, having mostly the same tonal balance but being better in every way.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #145 of 12,029
I own the LCD-X/XC.  Heard the LCD-3F at meets - good sound, warmer than the X/XC.  Just heard the HEK at the Nashville meet - seems like great sound but too open - they require a quiet room to really audition/shine.  The HEK are at a $3000 price point.  Now, Audez'e with nano-tech sound at a $4000 price point.  Can they really sound that much better than the X or 3F?  Twice as good?
Awaiting listening impressions from CanJam.

The LCD-4 are listed for sale on the Audez'e web site.  With only a SE cable.  

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #146 of 12,029
The pictures seem to show the same mini-XLR connector, so previous custom cables may work.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #147 of 12,029
I own the LCD-X/XC.  Heard the LCD-3F at meets - good sound, warmer than the X/XC.  Just heard the HEK at the Nashville meet - seems like great sound but too open - they require a quiet room to really audition/shine.  Also, the HEK build quality is skimpy.  The HEK are at a $3000 price point.  Now, Audez'e with nano-tech sound at a $4000 price point.  Can they really sound that much better than the X or 3F? Twice as good?

Awaiting listening impressions from CanJam.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #148 of 12,029
The new carbon fiber suspension headband for all LCDs will be sold separately for 200usd. Very tempted to upgrade!

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #149 of 12,029
  I wonder how much headphone manufacturers are willing to push the envelope in terms of price rather than performance.  I'm not saying that you wouldn't get a better headphone and if you want to spend that kind of money it's your business.  But is Audeze looking at the HE-1000 which costs twice as much as Hifiman's former flagship and people are buying it.  People will pay $4,400 for a Stax SR009 (plus the price of an amp) and $5,500 for an Abyss.  Why won't they pay 4 grand for an LCD-4.  No increase in performance has really matched the increase in price, not that anyone would expect a headphone to be twice as good if you pay twice as much.  But does Audeze really need to double the price to turn a profit on the LCD-4?
confused.gif

Possibly to pay for the science involved in developing the nano technology.  That's why the HEK is so expensive (above the HE-6).  The technology is rapidly evolving and will lead us to better HP sound.  

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #150 of 12,029
The majority of the MRI machines in this country is at 1.5 Tesla.  The highest or strongest is 3.0 Tesla approved by FDA.  As headphones started to increase their magnitude, I wonder if designer of headphone ever consult any physicist/radiologist about any possible effect these magnitude may have on our brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back