Audeze LCD-4
Oct 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #587 of 11,995
For those looking for a less expensive alternative to LCD-4 ~

A few months ago, I carefully tested the LCD-3f, HD800, and K712 all using stock cables.  The LCD-3 had a deeper lush sound than the others and was the clear winner to my ears.  However, the K712 sounded better overall than the HD800.  Yes the HD800 had perhaps better treble, but the K712 was no slouch with treble and was more balanced throughout.  the K712 is surely one of the best out there especially for the price !

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #588 of 11,995
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/10/rmaf-2015-cypher-lightning-cable-for-audeze-el-8/

A bit of the LCD4 from Dar and el8 just a snippet.

I like the idea for the Cypher cable - use the iPhone simply for power and digital source, and use external AMP and DAC.

I do not like the special edition bundle-only option for this. Audeze should be ashamed, having already promised future updates and capabilities from their proprietary cabling on the EL-8. And now they're saying, sell your EL-8 and buy this special edition EL-8 to get the external DAC/AMP. I hope I'm reading that part of the review incorrectly
mad.gif

EDIT per reply from Audeze: The Silver version comes bundled with the cable. The cable will also be available separately to owners of EL8 as we had promised. However, the chip supply is limited at the moment and we are trying to get a handle on the release dates. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #591 of 11,995
King of value for money is still the HD600/HD650 due to price / scalability ratio.
And any thoughts on Senn's approach to the upcoming Orpheus 2? :wink_face:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Cheers 

Original Orpheus was a limited run statement product to promote the brand. Whatever the teaser is, Sennheiser do not need it to be a commercial success even if it turns out to be a mass market product.

Audeze and HFM are in a different position, however, it may be relevant the LCD-4 is built to order assuming that means tight control over parts inventory. Do Audeze need the LCD-4 to be a bigger marketing and critical success story than pure sales numbers, given that existing lines are available and are selling?

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #592 of 11,995
Nearly ten times.less than the HEK..
The wife said i can get LCD3's for Xmas but she wants a baby.. If I get the 4s I'd have to sell both... Ebay the Baby..

It used to be Head-Fier's would have to resort to selling kidneys for a new pair of headphones. Now with prices going up we have to resort to selling babies..

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #593 of 11,995
Good thinking the baby will have kidneys I can get HE400S As well... This has messed up my plans For The LCD3'S, The 4s and an X and another pair of HEk'S Black. I might stick to 3 f's and have my OPPO ha1 modded. Dam u headfi people and your fancy musical baubles..Anyone want a kidney..

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #594 of 11,995

Nah. That'd go to the Fostex T50RP (with a few cheap mods), followed by the Beyerdynamic DT990/880, or AKG 545/550, followed by the Beyerdynamic T1's. Just my opinion of course. I don't really deem any of the high end cans particularly amazing value for money, and I'm fairly certain they all have a hefty mark up applied. Some considerably more than others (*cough* Audeze *cough*). But if we're talking strictly high end cans only, the T1's are unmatched for value imo. It feels weird that my favourite sounding headphones ever, are by far the cheapest in their category. German engineering and manufacturing efficiency I guess.

I agree I bought T1 before 2 years , then I bought lcd f ,th900 then return to T 1 again , still the best headpones in my collection .

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #595 of 11,995
Not a good deal - baby will win :eek: Best value: "highest SPL level for the money" :p

Nearly ten times.less than the HEK..
The wife said i can get LCD3's for Xmas but she wants a baby.. If I get the 4s I'd have to sell both... Ebay the Baby..

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #597 of 11,995

Hardly. Our baby's delivery was billed to the insurance company at over $40k, and that was back in 2010. So the LCD-4 is by far a better value 
biggrin.gif

True, but I'm guessing the insurance company had a negotiated rate - like a volume purchase arrangement perhaps? 
wink_face.gif

Also if you think the Audeze's require constant attention, I'd rather change a driver once or even twice a year then a diaper ~10+ times a day!!!

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #598 of 11,995
Yes the HD600, HD650, HE6, HD800 and a few other headphones are good or even very good value today, no question. But how much would they cost if they were develop today? Double? I don’t know that, but probably quite a bit more than what they are selling for now as the process of development take many years and/or headphones to cover. Well one can obviously chose another option and pot a much higher price and get the development investment back much sooner.

The later option is a bit risky thou, as if not selling as much as calculated they can lose big time. They can also have developed a very expansive headphone that isn’t made to be a big seller, then more a statement product that they take some develop tech from and place in their  less expensive phones. The last option is commonly used for all kind of gear; like cars, TV sets and cameras there the development of “new” technology is expansive. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #600 of 11,995
It's funny how in 2009/2010 when it was released, everyone talked about the awesome HD 800 and its extreme price. Now, 5 years later, it's considered a "best value" product, even though the price has actually gone up a little bit...!

In 5 years, maybe the LCD-4 will be the go-to headphone for best value :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back