Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #376 of 6,388
Quote:

You are not alone. I have the same issue with mine. After an hour or so, it fills like my head was in some kind of medieval torture device 
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Just play around with it. I got it loose a bit and have to readjust from time to time. 
Shame for Audeze: great sound, pure comfort design. Should not happen to 2K hp's. 

Yup same problem here.  In the position where the rectangular earcup holes are perfectly vertical, the headband sits more or less on the middle of my head, and is flat, horizontal to the ground, but angled so much relative to the downward slope of my head that only about 25% of the headband is actually contacting my skull. If I rotate them backwards to the headband is angled away from my forehead, I can wear the headband on the back of my head where it begins to slope downward the headband slopes very nicely to sit flush against my skull.  I can also achieve a mostly flush fit if I rotate them forwards and wear the headband towards the front of my head, nearly on my forehead, as you did in your photo. Of course I could just have an oddly sloped head.  Part of the problem too is that the headband has so little cushioning, and very hard edges.  Maybe a custom padding mod?  For me this is a bigger comfort issue than the weight -- not that it's nearly bad enough to prevent me from enjoying them. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #378 of 6,388
Quote:
Yup same problem here.  In the position where the rectangular earcup holes are perfectly vertical, the headband sits more or less on the middle of my head, and is flat, horizontal to the ground, but angled so much relative to the downward slope of my head that only about 25% of the headband is actually contacting my skull. If I rotate them backwards to the headband is angled away from my forehead, I can wear the headband on the back of my head where it begins to slope downward the headband slopes very nicely to sit flush against my skull.  I can also achieve a mostly flush fit if I rotate them forwards and wear the headband towards the front of my head, nearly on my forehead, as you did in your photo. Of course I could just have an oddly sloped head.  Part of the problem too is that the headband has so little cushioning, and very hard edges.  Maybe a custom padding mod?  For me this is a bigger comfort issue than the weight -- not that it's nearly bad enough to prevent me from enjoying them. 

same here, the weight and clamping force arent a problem at all, its just that the headband digs into my head over time, and i have to move it ever so slightly every half an hour or so to alleviate the problem.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #380 of 6,388
I too find the headband digs into my head, not painful, but ever so slightly uncomfortable.
It would be great to see some headband mods or different headband options.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #381 of 6,388
Quote:
Orthos need magnets to move the drivers...and unfortunately magnets ain't light...so its par for the course typically with orthos. The HE-6s are the same; though I find the LCD-3s a bit more comfortable.

Don't forget our Macedonian melons are on the larger side too, so that won't help with the clamping force when compared to others. 
tongue.gif

Yea right ... now am practicing with a brick on top of my head strapped around with old belt .... no pain gain .. 
biggrin.gif

As for HE-6 .. much better fit .. even thou I had them for couple of hours only. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #382 of 6,388
Quote:
I too find the headband digs into my head, not painful, but ever so slightly uncomfortable.

RIght? its not enough for me to want to ditch the headphones in favor of something else, but why would they not design the headband to sit flat on your head? it just doesnt make sense to me...i would gladly pay some extra money for a different headband that would sit flat on my head

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #384 of 6,388
Bump for my new favorite headphone.
Love the LCD 3s. I've decided that my other headphones just can't compete anymore so I'm going to trade them off and compare other cans to these bad boys.

They sound great with any tube/rectifier combo I can throw at them.

Any suggestions for a cable upgrade? Maybe a Q cable?
I can't imagine these sounding even better!!!
Oh and is the mjolnir the best ss amp for these because I hear a lot about it in this thread?

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #385 of 6,388

You should try wearing the sig pros for more than 30 min. Worst headband in my opinion.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #386 of 6,388
Same "problem" here (LCD-2 r1, r2 and LCD-3). Browsing pictures on the internet shows the same artifact for almost every person having normal head size. Those having a very large head; more flat position of the headband than us "normal" people. :)

The headband is slightly tilted more upwards in front than back. 
Quote:
Will do .. but I think somebody already posted pictures, just cannot find the thread/post. Base on the responses, looks like people are coming out of the woodwork.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #387 of 6,388
Quote:
Oh and is the mjolnir the best ss amp for these because I hear a lot about it in this thread?

I don't like my LCD3 with the mjolnir; I find it is the least synergizing of my flagships. However, I think the BHA-1 excels with the LCD-3 and is worth the extra money.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 30, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #388 of 6,388
The BHA-1 may sound fine but the design is completely broken.  I hope Bryston has a BHA-2 ready soon.  Because the 1 was obviously designed to get something on the shelf with no real understanding that it would be a great seller.  Without getting into the What bits the real /facepalm is that the balanced section is made with an inverting unity gain 'amplifier'.  But I do agree the Mjolnir didn't gel too well with the LCD-3.  Too bright for me.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #389 of 6,388
A question about storing these headphones -- I've seen a number of mentions here that they definitely shouldn't be stored compressed, but is it a good idea to keep the styrofoam block between the earpieces that it comes shipped with when they're not in use?  I'm definitely concerned about the pad compression issue, but does this potentially put to much pressure on the drivers?  Or is the pressure each earpad puts on the other when they're allowed to rest against each other (not compressed, just their natural force) likely not enough to worry about the compression issue?  
When wearing these things, given how much pressure is put on the forward portion of the earpad, with almost no pressure put on the back portion of the earpads, it's hard to imagine how there could not be some significant differential compression over time.  It seems very uneven in how the lateral compression/clamping force isn't applied evenly around the ear, at least in my case. Does anyone else find this to be the case?  I may need to try shifting them forward more, but of course there's a limit to how far forward they can go.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back