Audez'e LCD 2 vs Denon D7000 ?
Oct 8, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #406 of 452

I sold my D7000 shortly after getting the LCD-2. There is just no comparison--they're not even in the same league in terms of sound quality.

The only advantage the D7000 had was it's more comfortable, that's it. Other than that, its treble is too shrill, the mids are recessed, and the sub-bass has a prominent resonance that while satisfyingly powerful, is too colored. Even with EQ'ing you can't get rid of that resonance. Whenever any audio device as coloring issues that cannot be remedies with EQ'ing, it's a sign that it has inherent design flaws (in this case, the flaw is intentional--Denon wanted that resonance because it's fun sounding).

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #408 of 452
Make sure you get a Q-audio cable to go with the LCD2s.
And I really agree with Lunatique; the LCD2s are just much more refined than the Denons, with more saturation and more natural placement and surroundings of images and more fleshed-out textures and a better ease of listening.
The LCD2s are on par with R10s to my ears (but still sound different than each other, with the LCD2 having more ease than the R10, but the R10 having even more micro-soundstaging, not that
the Audeze is any slouch in this area; this probably deserves a thread of its own).
Overall, I prefer the LCD2 (rev2s) to the R10s, as the listening ease and total absence of fatigue is more important to me than the extra precision of the R10s.
(I'll probably sell my R10s some time...).

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #409 of 452
I sold my LCD-2 (rev 1) and then bought D7000.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #411 of 452

Quote:

I sold my D7000 shortly after getting the LCD-2. There is just no comparison--they're not even in the same league in terms of sound quality.

The only advantage the D7000 had was it's more comfortable, that's it. Other than that, its treble is too shrill, the mids are recessed, and the sub-bass has a prominent resonance that while satisfyingly powerful, is too colored. Even with EQ'ing you can't get rid of that resonance. Whenever any audio device as coloring issues that cannot be remedies with EQ'ing, it's a sign that it has inherent design flaws (in this case, the flaw is intentional--Denon wanted that resonance because it's fun sounding).

i think some people see that "resonance" as good soundstaging, right? 

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #412 of 452
To me the D7000 sounds more accurate and i would wear it in a studio (if i was in that line of work).   I pick the LCDs over the D7000s because i just purely enjoy them more.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #413 of 452

Quote:
Mind if I ask you why?

The only thing the LCD-2 did exceptionally well was low bass.  I liked nothing else about it.  I found the D7000 also had really good low bass, a small but at least coherent headstage, mids were meh and highs were O.K..  Closed are probably not for me so I'll move on eventually.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #414 of 452

Quote:
The only thing the LCD-2 did exceptionally well was low bass.  I liked nothing else about it.  I found the D7000 also had really good low bass, a small but at least coherent headstage, mids were meh and highs were O.K..  Closed are probably not for me so I'll move on eventually.

I agree on the LCD-2. Bass was great... everything else was ... meh

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #415 of 452
I actually found its weakpoint was the bass impact and presence.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #416 of 452

Quote:

i think some people see that "resonance" as good soundstaging, right?  

Resonance has nothing to do with soundstaging. I'm not sure why you are associating the two. 

Resonance in the D7000's sub bass means even when a piece of music without emphasis in the sub-bass in the region of the resonance is played, you can still hear that resonance, and then if you play a clean 20Hz sine wave test tone, you can also still hear that resonance, which is higher up in frequency than 20Hz. It's probably due to the wooden earcup design. Think of it like a reflection of sound waves (or something along those lines).

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #417 of 452

Quote:
Resonance has nothing to do with soundstaging. I'm not sure why you are associating the two. 

Resonance in the D7000's sub bass means even when a piece of music without emphasis in the sub-bass in the region of the resonance is played, you can still hear that resonance, and then if you play a clean 20Hz sine wave test tone, you can also still hear that resonance, which is higher up in frequency than 20Hz. It's probably due to the wooden earcup design. Think of it like a reflection of sound waves (or something along those lines).

Purrin did a CSD measurement of the D7000.  Look at how it decays after around the 1ms mark between 2 kHz and 10 kHz.  I think that comes across as a resonance that does add a faux spacialness color to the sound.  When I was playing the EQ to try to balance my D2000 I was hitting some EQ positions in the 3K to 5K range that did some weird things to the spacialness of the sound.  So I think there is some faux soundstage enhancement going on that helps it sound more open as part of the Denon sound.

Quote:
To me the D7000 sounds more accurate and i would wear it in a studio (if i was in that line of work).   I pick the LCDs over the D7000s because i just purely enjoy them more.

I don't think the Denon would be all that good in the studio.  My D2000 had some weird sonic behavior with some EQ changes.  I would expect that the D7000 is similar.  Wouldn't be a reliable headphone for determining EQ or nit-picky sonics.

I've been playing with EQ with my LCD-2 rev2 and they've been totally predictable with EQ changes.  Nothing unexpected happening.  Contrast with my D2000 that has some wonky and unexpected behavior with some EQ changes.

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #418 of 452

Quote:

i think a lot of people prefer wooden cups?

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #419 of 452
A lot of audiophiles yes. Not quite as much of the studio guys. Wooden cups seem to mean colouration so far. I love my DX 1000. It´s reverb can make you really feel like you are in that classical hall when working it´s best and the entire presentation can make it more believable despite not really measuring up at all reference wise compared to LCD-2/HD 800. I suppose you more mean reverb then resonance when talking about soundstage? Haven´t heard the D7000 but the markl D5000 did have quite a bit of reverb. To the point of actually creating echoes. I did find the DX 1000 doing that trick better though it took two runs to fully accept it for what it´s.

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #420 of 452
I think any Headphone chassis that 'contributes' to sound is bad design.

Those wooden cups often found on modded Hp's and high end japanese designs do give as sense of 'value' and pride of ownership. Looks pretty.

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back