Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #10,021 of 13,137
  Has anyone been able to compare the differences between the Audeze Deckard, Shiit Lyr 2 w/ decent DAC, and Jotunheim with the LCD-2s?

Yes I have had a LCD 2 F since October of this year, was using it with the head phone section of my Peachtree Nova 150 (which is in  my desktop system(macMini) with KK cables and KEF L S50) didn't care for the headphone section of the Nova 150. So I ordered via amazon Lyr 2 /Modi Uber 2 spent another $ 117.00  to roll the tubes I even used the Lyr 2 through the Loop through function of the Nova 150 to add a tube buffer , the KEF LS 50 sound wonderful in that set up.  Then got an email from Audeze on Nov.22/23 sale on B-stock LCD 2 & Deckard amps so I ordered the Deckard amp. after a bit of a screw up ( which went in my favor !) and  delay I got the Deckard 2 days ago !

WOW ! the Deckard probably is the most underrated HP Amp. even though it is SS,  but Class A amp and Lyr 2 is a tube amp ( Class A  6 Watts  Vs  4 watts for Deckard), the Deckard sounds more "balanced" more pleasing to my ears perhaps even more tubey  than  the Lyr 2 ???  it is very musical , So this is a keeper since I got it 43% off the retail price , I have been debating is it worth  it to  buy a mjolnir 2 I know it's a balanced Amp, I am just fine with listening to an SE  I thought about a Jot but I just want a  tube amp as a 2ndry amplifier , my main listening  system consists Magneplaner 1.7i with Parasound integrated for a pre -amp / A21 power amp.  hope that answers your question !

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #10,025 of 13,137
Dec 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #10,026 of 13,137

Yes I have had a LCD 2 F since October of this year, was using it with the head phone section of my Peachtree Nova 150 (which is in  my desktop system(macMini) with KK cables and KEF L S50) didn't care for the headphone section of the Nova 150. So I ordered via amazon Lyr 2 /Modi Uber 2 spent another $ 117.00  to roll the tubes I even used the Lyr 2 through the Loop through function of the Nova 150 to add a tube buffer , the KEF LS 50 sound wonderful in that set up.  Then got an email from Audeze on Nov.22/23 sale on B-stock LCD 2 & Deckard amps so I ordered the Deckard amp. after a bit of a screw up ( which went in my favor !) and  delay I got the Deckard 2 days ago !

WOW ! the Deckard probably is the most underrated HP Amp. even though it is SS,  but Class A amp and Lyr 2 is a tube amp ( Class A  6 Watts  Vs  4 watts for Deckard), the Deckard sounds more "balanced" more pleasing to my ears perhaps even more tubey  than  the Lyr 2 ???  it is very musical , So this is a keeper since I got it 43% off the retail price , I have been debating is it worth  it to  buy a mjolnir 2 I know it's a balanced Amp, I am just fine with listening to an SE  I thought about a Jot but I just want a  tube amp as a 2ndry amplifier , my main listening  system consists Magneplaner 1.7i with Parasound integrated for a pre -amp / A21 power amp.  hope that answers your question !

Wow 43%? What would that be like $400? 

It's a good idea to have a lyr 2 if you have other headphones for sure. It wasn't a bad amp, it was pretty nice, just not for me and my only headphones.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #10,027 of 13,137

Wow 43%? What would that be like $400? 

It's a good idea to have a lyr 2 if you have other headphones for sure. It wasn't a bad amp, it was pretty nice, just not for me and my only headphones.

Yes ! since I live in CA tax paid it was $ 425.00 , may be I will still keep the Lyr 2 as a tube Buffer/pre-amp for the Peachtree Nova 150 , it does  change the sound and tone  quality of  my Kef Speakers 

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #10,028 of 13,137

That's some pretty amazing pricing. I'm still crossing my fingers that I can find a used one around $300, atleast until their next sale like that. Hope you enjoy it, it's seriously awesome. And the Lyr 2 too, but for different equipment.

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #10,029 of 13,137
Anyone have any recommendations for a nice braided cable that isn't very expensive? I'm looking for something shorter than the stock cable. Thanks!

We offer several options at various price points at www.plussoundaudio.com. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Dec 19, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #10,031 of 13,137
Disclaimer: I'm a speaker guy, not a headphone guy. I have heard and owned many speakers and components but not much in the headphone world. The LCD2 is my first "audiophile" headphone. I am not trying to sound elitist or offend anyone who own these headphones.

The more I listen to these LCD2, the more I believe that the sound quality is NOT worth $1k. The "feel", quality of materials and build quality most definitely feel like an expensive product. But the sound is just okay. The mids are somewhat veiled. Highs sound sparkly at times and rolled off other times. Bass is clean but doesn't hit hard unless I turn the volume way up beyond what is comfortable for me. Headphones should cost less than speakers for the same sound quality. For $1k retail price of the LCD2, there are speakers that convey sound with much more realism, resolution, and clarity.

Maybe these just aren't for me or I'm asking too much from a headphone versus the fidelity I was used to on my stereo setup. Ive tried to ask around on various forums for a headphone recommendation based on my stereo speaker preferences but it's hard to find a group of people who are into both headphones and high end stereos. Is there a headphone that actually measures flat(+-3dB 40-20khz) in real world testing? The measurements on the LCD2 actually look pretty terrible, but I'm not sure if that's common for headphones.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here dabble in the audio hobby outside of headphones? If so, what speakers do you own and how would you compare them to the LCD2? Is there a general guideline on how much to spend on a headphone setup to match the sound quality of a stereo? For example would a $2,000(inclusive of amp,pre,dac) headphone setup be comparable to a $10,000 stereo?

This is probably a long shot, but to be specific, I'm looking to replicate the sound of RAAL tweeters(or any decent true ribbon tweeter), Accuton/Seas Excel level mid drivers in a headphone. For me, speakers (like Salk or Joseph) utilizing those drivers sound true to life, as if the performers are in the room playing live without amplification.

My current primary desktop headphone rig is an LCD 2 / Jotunheim combo.  I am a long time audiophile (nearly 20 years) and had a high end two channel system set up in a dedicated room and its last configuration was with planar magnetic speakers.  When I got the planar LCD 2's I was hoping I could reclaim some of that sound I enjoyed in my two channel glory days.  I think now that in most ways my primary headphone rig is a better performing set up.

You have to get past the whole speakers vs. headphone presentation thing.  If you can I think that headphones get you much deeper into the recording than speakers can with less hassle too.  A big reason is that you can just strap on a pair of headphones and get perfect acoustics and superbly integrated sonics from low bass all the way through the upper treble.  Ever got that with your first try at placing speakers in a room?  

I have friends who own Salk's and Joseph Audio speakers (which is why I had to reply), each system with vastly different electronics and price points.  But I can tell you that my headphone rig costs less than one, yes just one, of my friends speaker cables yet I think in some ways it sounds better than both set ups.  One of my friends reluctantly agrees, but the other says he "just does not get the headphone thing".

As I found in high end audio higher price does not always equal higher performance and I am finding the same applies in headphone gear.  I am not saying price does not make a difference, I think it does but up to a point.  Its not as easy as one simple multiplier.  My Jotunheim is better than my Dragon Fly Red, not twice as good, but I still like and use both regularly.  You have to get out and listen to as much gear as you can, then you will naturally find that price / performance balance.   

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #10,032 of 13,137
  My current primary desktop headphone rig is an LCD 2 / Jotunheim combo.  I am a long time audiophile (nearly 20 years) and had a high end two channel system set up in a dedicated room and its last configuration was with planar magnetic speakers.  When I got the planar LCD 2's I was hoping I could reclaim some of that sound I enjoyed in my two channel glory days.  I think now that in most ways my primary headphone rig is a better performing set up.

You have to get past the whole speakers vs. headphone presentation thing.  If you can I think that headphones get you much deeper into the recording than speakers can with less hassle too.  A big reason is that you can just strap on a pair of headphones and get perfect acoustics and superbly integrated sonics from low bass all the way through the upper treble.  Ever got that with your first try at placing speakers in a room?  

I have friends who own Salk's and Joseph Audio speakers (which is why I had to reply), each system with vastly different electronics and price points.  But I can tell you that my headphone rig costs less than one, yes just one, of my friends speaker cables yet I think in some ways it sounds better than both set ups.  One of my friends reluctantly agrees, but the other says he "just does not get the headphone thing".

As I found in high end audio higher price does not always equal higher performance and I am finding the same applies in headphone gear.  I am not saying price does not make a difference, I think it does but up to a point.  Its not as easy as one simple multiplier.  My Jotunheim is better than my Dragon Fly Red, not twice as good, but I still like and use both regularly.  You have to get out and listen to as much gear as you can, then you will naturally find that price / performance balance.   

Ever been able to compare your Jot with DAC vs a Deckard? I'm looking at the Deckard as my goal, but i've heard good things about the Jot and it is somewhat similarly priced. (For the LCD-2 of course).

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #10,033 of 13,137
Ever been able to compare your Jot with DAC vs a Deckard? I'm looking at the Deckard as my goal, but i've heard good things about the Jot and it is somewhat similarly priced. (For the LCD-2 of course).

I've read that the Jot is great, but held back by the DAC, as it is the same one in the Modi 2 Uber. I used a Modi 2 Uber and Vali 2 (stock tube and $70 E88CC BEL tube). They sounded nice, but my LG V20 feeding into the Deckard sounding MUCH better. More musical and kept faster pace for Jazz, Metal and other genres where i felt the Vali 2 slowed the LCD-2 down too much. I put a bid on a Deckard on eBay (and with my stupidity), set the price too high and won the bid. I spent $415 for a lightly used unit. So, I will hear the DAC in the Deckard soon. ...and I will stay off the eBay app.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #10,034 of 13,137
I've read that the Jot is great, but held back by the DAC, as it is the same one in the Modi 2 Uber. I used a Modi 2 Uber and Vali 2 (stock tube and $70 E88CC BEL tube). They sounded nice, but my LG V20 feeding into the Deckard sounding MUCH better. More musical and kept faster pace for Jazz, Metal and other genres where i felt the Vali 2 slowed the LCD-2 down too much. I put a bid on a Deckard on eBay (and with my stupidity), set the price too high and won the bid. I spent $415 for a lightly used unit. So, I will hear the DAC in the Deckard soon. ...and I will stay off the eBay app.

You paid $415 for a deckard and are complaining? :D I just bought one for $495 and thought i got a deal lol.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #10,035 of 13,137
You paid $415 for a deckard and are complaining? :D I just bought one for $495 and thought i got a deal lol.

Not complaining at all. I was looking at the Jot, Deckard, and HA-1. I was leaning hard towards the HA-1, but felt I wpuld be paying more for features i wouldn't use on the desktop, unless i use it as a pre-amp too. I ended up winning the bid by accident, but I'm not upset. I was still unsure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back