Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #6,016 of 13,139

Back on Oahu, rained out yesterday.

Got the Bifrost last year along with the Lyr2 to drive my HE-400, HE-400i and HE-560.  Even then I was still using my modi/magni combo as they sounded better (more alive) with some music.  I was also using my Teac AH-01 which sounded better than the bifrost/lyr2 combo with some headphones (ATH-M50x, MDR-7506, X1 and HE-400) and genre of music so this got me thinking that I should try other DACs.  I got my LCD-2f, HD-700, and SRH-1840 a few month ago and noticed that the LCD-2f and SRH-1840 sounded flat and life less.  Tried the LCD-2f on the modi/magni and it sounded much brighter and life like.  Tried the modi (optical) with the Lyr2 and the LCD-2 sounded like how many describe it in the forums, changed over to the Teac AH-01 and it also sounded better.  Since the AH-01 doesn't have line out I couldn't try it out with the Lyr2.

Long story short, saw some reviews on the UD/HA-501 and on the Teac site noticed the UD-301 (uses same BurrBrown chip as UD-501), also looked at DACMagic 100, and AudioGD NFB-29.  Debating which one to get and with the sale from crutchfield decided to give the UD-301 a shot. 

Out of the box connected UD-301 to coax from X3 and plugged in SRH-1840 to UD-301 headphone jack and was amazed to hear the difference is sound.  The SRH-1840 had crystal clear highs and the sound stage was wider than I've ever heard on them.  Connected Lyr2 to UD-301 and put on LCD-2 and I couldn't believe the change.  LCD-2 had highs that were so smooth and extended, bass was hitting hard and lower, mids were just perfect.  Switched back to Bifrost and it sounded like someone put a "veil" over everything.  I let my girlfriend listen and she also noticed the difference but to her the highs were getting a little too bright with HE-560 and HD-700 but perfect with the LCD-2.

Sorry, little long winded.

Thanks for your impressions.  I almost wish you hadn't told me that because as much as I like my Bifrost, I always have the itch to upgrade.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #6,017 of 13,139

Back on Oahu, rained out yesterday.

Got the Bifrost last year along with the Lyr2 to drive my HE-400, HE-400i and HE-560.  Even then I was still using my modi/magni combo as they sounded better (more alive) with some music.  I was also using my Teac AH-01 which sounded better than the bifrost/lyr2 combo with some headphones (ATH-M50x, MDR-7506, X1 and HE-400) and genre of music so this got me thinking that I should try other DACs.  I got my LCD-2f, HD-700, and SRH-1840 a few month ago and noticed that the LCD-2f and SRH-1840 sounded flat and life less.  Tried the LCD-2f on the modi/magni and it sounded much brighter and life like.  Tried the modi (optical) with the Lyr2 and the LCD-2 sounded like how many describe it in the forums, changed over to the Teac AH-01 and it also sounded better.  Since the AH-01 doesn't have line out I couldn't try it out with the Lyr2.

Long story short, saw some reviews on the UD/HA-501 and on the Teac site noticed the UD-301 (uses same BurrBrown chip as UD-501), also looked at DACMagic 100, and AudioGD NFB-29.  Debating which one to get and with the sale from crutchfield decided to give the UD-301 a shot. 

Out of the box connected UD-301 to coax from X3 and plugged in SRH-1840 to UD-301 headphone jack and was amazed to hear the difference is sound.  The SRH-1840 had crystal clear highs and the sound stage was wider than I've ever heard on them.  Connected Lyr2 to UD-301 and put on LCD-2 and I couldn't believe the change.  LCD-2 had highs that were so smooth and extended, bass was hitting hard and lower, mids were just perfect.  Switched back to Bifrost and it sounded like someone put a "veil" over everything.  I let my girlfriend listen and she also noticed the difference but to her the highs were getting a little too bright with HE-560 and HD-700 but perfect with the LCD-2.

Sorry, little long winded.

I'd be curious to see what you think of the Mjolnir with the UD-301.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #6,019 of 13,139

I'd be curious to see what you think of the Mjolnir with the UD-301.

Since its a balanced amp I probably would not even consider it at this point.  I've kinda reached my end game with what I have now and the only headphones/DAC/AMPs that I would be interested in are my bucket list stuff (Stax SR-009 w/ Blue Hawaii AMP) but would still consider things like HD-800, Ether, LCD-X, HP8 Mk2, WA7d, WA2, etc for the right price.  Would rather spend on getting more high rez music

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #6,022 of 13,139
Is that a joke? cause if not i do...

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #6,024 of 13,139
Here is a link for what I have http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/leukemia-chronic-myeloid-cml and med I take  http://www.goodrx.com/sprycel?gclid=Cj0KEQjwi-moBRDL4Omf9d_LndMBEiQAQtFf84l16QAPsVHFCmF8LaInDNVewjWhT6f2QAY7xjvp4YQaAucb8P8HAQ

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #6,025 of 13,139
I just purchased a new pair from B&H. I sat down in the waiting area to open the box and verify all was well. Plugged them straight into my phone to check function... Not impressed with sound. Returned immediately.

jk you can pry these from my cold dead fingers.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #6,026 of 13,139
  I'm fighting a major battle with leukemia'My headphones quit working and with medical cost can't replace Would anyone have a pair they could spare? Thanks so much for your time 

I don't mean to offend if you actually do have cancer, but you could just have searched for leukemia and leukemia medication and are begging for someone to give you $1000 audiophile headphones. This is just such a weird request that normal people don't do: beg for an extremely niche and expensive product because you are unable to pay for your chemo with absolutely no proof you have cancer. Even if you have cancer, you should have the social skills to realize that begging for expensive headphones on head-fi would be extremely rude and unnecessary. From your post history it appears you are posting on all different threads begging for headphones because you claim to have cancer. You'd think you would ask for donations instead of of fancy headphones...

I'm assuming you don't actually have cancer because, come on, this is the internet. You have to set the bar extremely low to beg for not just headphones... but $1000 headphones... while lying that you have cancer. That is impressively terrible. You need a mental evaluation -- normal people don't make an effort like you to beg for headphones (even if you do have cancer), or even attempt to troll head-fi because you have nothing better to do.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #6,027 of 13,139
Rather than replying to the post, report it to the mods so they can talk to him/her directly to see what the situation may be.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #6,030 of 13,139
I was wondering how you like the LCD 2 F compared to the HE-560.

LCD 2F had more intimate mids and a better bass body, HE-560 sounded a bit dry and bright in comparison and I really love the smoothness LCD-2. I find the HE-500 to be smoother than the HE-560 and to have better bass body as well. but He-560 does detail and clarity better is also a bit more neutral sounding than the LCD and the HE-500. But the warmth and soul is just not there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back