Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #5,971 of 13,139
My LCD-2.2 will be here tomorrow. Im so excited i can barely contain myself. Its like waiting for christmas eve to be over to only wake up to presents under the tree.

I also have a quick question for all of you. Does any know how much audeze charges to swap out the wood cable connects for the updated terminals? Do they even charge for this? 
Can't help with your question, but I do know of your excitement and they will be everything you expect and more... Or that's how I feel about them :D

The LCD-2 are terrible. You'll hate them. Everything you expect is a lie and they will disappoint you and make you cry (hey, that rhymes).

Lol! Just trying to curb the over enthusiasm just in case. I'm sure you'll love them as I do mine! :D

I'm pretty sure they would charge for the connector swap as it would require the whole cup to be changed, but I'm not sure what the price would be. Just ask them, they're pretty good over there.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #5,972 of 13,139
Finally got around to posting a review. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd2-planar-magnetic-headphones/reviews/12804

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #5,979 of 13,139
Nice review. I enjoyed reading about your trajectory to your LCD 2.

Thanks. It's taken about 5 years, and I think I finally got it right. I drew a line in the sand at $1000 headphones, so unless I find awesome deals on used headphones, I'll be done with my journey. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #5,980 of 13,139

Liked the review, interesting progression.  Curious as to what amp you use for them?

Amplifier: TEAC HA-501. Says in the review

Thanks. 

This might make me a heathen in the eyes of many, but I prefer my TEAC over my beloved Trafomatic tube amp. It's just as musical and has more power. Also, it makes no noise at turn off and turn off, and has an auto mute feature to prevent and DC leakage during turn on and turn off, which protects the headphones, which is important to me since I have $1000 plugging into it now. Even the Trafomatic makes noises during power cycling despite their being a power transformer that galvanically isolates the AC output, which makes me a little uneasy with expensive cans.

I'm surprised the TEAC doesn't get more love around here. It's reasonably prices and is extremely good. Clear, controlled, and musical. It adds nothing to the chain, and whatever it deletes it does so in a very smooth way while preserving microdetails.  

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #5,981 of 13,139

I also have a quick question for all of you. Does any know how much audeze charges to swap out the wood cable connects for the updated terminals? Do they even charge for this? 

Why would you want to change out the wooden connector housing?  It's a much cleaner design and works well.  I actually like the wooden approach better than the current method.  (BTW, I have both versions -- an early 2.2 and a recent 2F.)

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #5,982 of 13,139

Why would you want to change out the wooden connector housing?  It's a much cleaner design and works well.  I actually like the wooden approach better than the current method.  (BTW, I have both versions -- an early 2.2 and a recent 2F.)

Because i'd like the connectors to not be pointing directly down at my shoulders. The same reason other people prefer them.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #5,983 of 13,139
  Because i'd like the connectors to not be pointing directly down at my shoulders. The same reason other people prefer them.

I see.  Later 2.1 and 2.2 versions, like I own, have the wooden connector housing angled so it doesn't point at your shoulders. Hope you enjoy your new Audeze.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #5,984 of 13,139

Thanks. 

This might make me a heathen in the eyes of many, but I prefer my TEAC over my beloved Trafomatic tube amp. It's just as musical and has more power. Also, it makes no noise at turn off and turn off, and has an auto mute feature to prevent and DC leakage during turn on and turn off, which protects the headphones, which is important to me since I have $1000 plugging into it now. Even the Trafomatic makes noises during power cycling despite their being a power transformer that galvanically isolates the AC output, which makes me a little uneasy with expensive cans.

I'm surprised the TEAC doesn't get more love around here. It's reasonably prices and is extremely good. Clear, controlled, and musical. It adds nothing to the chain, and whatever it deletes it does so in a very smooth way while preserving microdetails.  

I have an older Teac AH-01 and just got a UD-301 (on sale for $299) mainly for the DAC (like it better than my bifrost so far) section but after trying the headphone output it works great with my EL8 open back, but not quite enough to drive the LCD-2f, HD-650 or HE-560.  I'm going to start looking for a HA-501, if its as good as you say my tube buying days may be over (Lyr2 and Ember).

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #5,985 of 13,139

I have an older Teac AH-01 and just got a UD-301 (on sale for $299) mainly for the DAC (like it better than my bifrost so far) section but after trying the headphone output it works great with my EL8 open back, but not quite enough to drive the LCD-2f, HD-650 or HE-560.  I'm going to start looking for a HA-501, if its as good as you say my tube buying days may be over (Lyr2 and Ember).

Tell me more about the UD-301 vs. the Bifrost. I have the Uber version, which I really like. How does it compare directly to the 301?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back